iPod does not show up on Vista machine

geniusoflvb

iPod does not show up on Vista machine
I'm using the latest version of iTunes (7.2) and yet when I connect the iPod
it does not show up in either iTunes or Computer in Vista.
It works fine on an XP machine but not on the Vista box.
Any ideas why?
PaulB

RE: iPod does not show up on Vista machine
The latest version of iTunes is 7.3.2. but that shouldn't matter. I used 7.2
with no problem. When the ipod is connected , are there any yellow marks in
the Device manager?
--
tried reinstalling iTunes?Paul

"geniusoflvb" wrote:

> I'm using the latest version of iTunes (7.2) and yet when I connect the iPod
> it does not show up in either iTunes or Computer in Vista.
> It works fine on an XP machine but not on the Vista box.
> Any ideas why?

Marjay

Re: iPod does not show up on Vista machine
Are you running a 64 bit Vista machine???
If so, there is an INF file missing called USBSTOR.INF which should
reside in the INF directory

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 10:22:00 -0700, PaulB
<PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The latest version of iTunes is 7.3.2. but that shouldn't matter. I used 7.2
>with no problem. When the ipod is connected , are there any yellow marks in
>the Device manager?

AnitaS

Re: iPod does not show up on Vista machine
I am having the same problem. Has anyone found a solution yet? Was on to
Apple this am for 1hr 40mins and they still couldn't fix it.

> Are you running a 64 bit Vista machine???
> If so, there is an INF file missing called USBSTOR.INF which should
> reside in the INF directory
>
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 10:22:00 -0700, PaulB
> <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >The latest version of iTunes is 7.3.2. but that shouldn't matter. I used 7.2
> >with no problem. When the ipod is connected , are there any yellow marks in
> >the Device manager?

Sav

RE: iPod does not show up on Vista machine
Thanks for the reply Tony. No, the computer is brand new as is the iPhone. I
did manage to solve the problem though. As I stated, the iPhone was the first
thing I plugged into this new Laptop, with a fresh new copy of iTunes. The
iPhone worked fine, it's the iPods that were not reconized by Vista.

Here is how I solved the problem. I removed the iPod from device mgr (Under
Unknown Devices). Started up iTunes, plugged in the iPod and when Vista asked
for a driver location I pointed it to the c:\Windows folder and it found the
drivers. First was the USB Mass Storage Device driver, then the iPod driver,
then the USBusEmumerator driver and now all is well.

It's a VISTA BUG! Once you use that USB Driver for the phone, anyother Apple
product will require you to manually go into the windows folder and have
Vista find it again and use it for your iPod. I wouldn't be suprised if this
was done intentionally by Microsoft to try to get people to use there MP3
Players instead of Apple.

"geniusoflvb" wrote:

> I'm using the latest version of iTunes (7.2) and yet when I connect the iPod
> it does not show up in either iTunes or Computer in Vista.
> It works fine on an XP machine but not on the Vista box.
> Any ideas why?

James Matthews

Re: iPod does not show up on Vista machine
upgrade itunes

--

http://www.goldwatches.com/movado--watches.html
http://www.jewelerslounge.com/
"Sav" <Sav@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the reply Tony. No, the computer is brand new as is the iPhone.
> did manage to solve the problem though. As I stated, the iPhone was the
> first
> thing I plugged into this new Laptop, with a fresh new copy of iTunes. The
> iPhone worked fine, it's the iPods that were not reconized by Vista.
>
> Here is how I solved the problem. I removed the iPod from device mgr
> (Under
> Unknown Devices). Started up iTunes, plugged in the iPod and when Vista
> asked
> for a driver location I pointed it to the c:\Windows folder and it found
> the
> drivers. First was the USB Mass Storage Device driver, then the iPod
> driver,
> then the USBusEmumerator driver and now all is well.
>
> It's a VISTA BUG! Once you use that USB Driver for the phone, anyother
> Apple
> product will require you to manually go into the windows folder and have
> Vista find it again and use it for your iPod. I wouldn't be suprised if
> this
> was done intentionally by Microsoft to try to get people to use there MP3
> Players instead of Apple.
>
> "geniusoflvb" wrote:
>
>> I'm using the latest version of iTunes (7.2) and yet when I connect the
>> iPod
>> it does not show up in either iTunes or Computer in Vista.
>> It works fine on an XP machine but not on the Vista box.
>> Any ideas why?

skipjif

RE: iPod does not show up on Vista machine
Do you have the 64 bit ersion of Vista? If so, follow this
link.http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301301

"geniusoflvb" wrote:

> I'm using the latest version of iTunes (7.2) and yet when I connect the iPod
> it does not show up in either iTunes or Computer in Vista.
> It works fine on an XP machine but not on the Vista box.
> Any ideas why?

Misty

RE: iPod does not show up on Vista machine
I have the same problem with my iPod nano third generation! I have
reinstalled iTunes at least five times and followed all steps on apples site
that is supposed to solve most iPod problems. The iPod works perfectly on XP
computers, and my old iPod nano(first generation) works on both Vista and XP.
I run 32 bit Vista.
The First few times I plugged in the iPod, Vista told me it couldn't find
the correct drivers. After mixing with some things it suddenly told me it had
successfully inststalled drivers for ipod. Surprisingly that didn't solve
anything. When i plug it in all that happens is I get that annoying
"error-message-sound". The iPod don't show up in windows explorer, nor in
iTunes...
Anyone have a clue?

I didn't quite understand the solution posted by Sav... Can someone give a
clearer explanation of it for a noob like me?

Misty

RE: iPod does not show up on Vista machine
I have tried Sav's solution now. Running windows in swedish, but the error
message goes something like this:

A driver was found, but an error was encountered when trying to install it.
<pic. of an USB-cable> USB mass storage device
This action requires an interactive window station.

First question: What on earth is an interactive window station!? Googled the
term in swedish and got zero results!
Martian

RE: iPod does not show up on Vista machine
I just bought a refurbished ipod shuffle. My wife's XP laptop recognized the
ipod immediately but my Vista desktop can't find it; it won't show up in
either the device manager, my computer, or itunes. I have the latest itunes
installed. I'm bummed out! All thoughts welcome.