dvd drive disappeared

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9uZXN5?=

dvd drive disappeared
been using my acer 5101awlmi (v2) for the last month with vista premium, and
went to backup a music cd today using NTI DVD and CD maker, left the room and
when i came back, it had started burning, got half way through and said
"Destination drive not ready" and my Pioneer dvd rw drive now doesnt work.
not even the eject button. please help - i need my games back!!
Richard G. Harper

Re: dvd drive disappeared
Sounds as if the drive has failed. Use the emergency eject button to get
your disk back, restart the computer, then start investigating.

"Jonesy" <Jonesy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> been using my acer 5101awlmi (v2) for the last month with vista premium,
> and
> went to backup a music cd today using NTI DVD and CD maker, left the room
> and
> when i came back, it had started burning, got half way through and said
> "Destination drive not ready" and my Pioneer dvd rw drive now doesnt work.
> not even the eject button. please help - i need my games back!!

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9uZXN5?=

Re: dvd drive disappeared
What am i meant to be investigating though? ive restarted (that was first
thought that came to mind). thing thats got me pondering is that it doesnt
even come up in the device manager...

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> Sounds as if the drive has failed. Use the emergency eject button to get
> your disk back, restart the computer, then start investigating.

> "Jonesy" <Jonesy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > been using my acer 5101awlmi (v2) for the last month with vista premium,
> > and
> > went to backup a music cd today using NTI DVD and CD maker, left the room
> > and
> > when i came back, it had started burning, got half way through and said
> > "Destination drive not ready" and my Pioneer dvd rw drive now doesnt work.
> > not even the eject button. please help - i need my games back!!

dev

Re: dvd drive disappeared
/Jonesy/ said:

> Been using my acer 5101awlmi (v2) for the last month with vista premium, and
> went to backup a music cd today using NTI DVD and CD maker, left the room and
> when I came back, it had started burning, got half way through and said
> "Destination drive not ready" and my Pioneer dvd rw drive now doesn't work.
> not even the eject button. please help - I need my games back!!

If the drive itself has not failed, it is conceivable, if not likely,
that the cables are loose. It has happened here.

Turn off the PC, and disconnect the power. Open the case and verify
that all cables to the drive are firmly seated.
Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: dvd drive disappeared
Further to Richard and Dev's contributions, you might try the procedures
outlined on this webpage..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553

If the drive fails to register after having checked out the cabling and what
is in the website provided, you should fast forward your investigations to
finding out how much a replacement would cost..

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?UmVuZQ==?=

Re: dvd drive disappeared
Same problem with my Acer Aspire 9423WSMI with Windows Vista Home Premium.
My drive is not isn't listed in my device manager for some reason.
After a reboot or shutdown the drive is working again but the problem is
returning.

Installed e new firmware version no soultion, HW checked and checked.