Hibernation missing

spencertaylor@gmail.com

Hibernation missing
I am running Vista Home Premium on a home built PC. The motherboard is
an MSI nForce3-based board (model # 7025) an Athlon 3500+, 2 GB DDR,
very high quality hard drives, an XFX 6800 Ultra, and if anyone needs
more info, I can give it to them.

Here is the thing, Hibernation is no longer an option for me. I mean
that Vista removed it. It was there when I first installed Vista, but
now I only have Sleep as an option, which does not turn the PC off.

Has anyone run into this problem? Can someone please help me get
Hibernation back?

Thanks

Paul Smith

Re: Hibernation missing
If you go into the BIOS you'll probably find that you've got two options for
sleep. S1 and S3, if you select S3 the system will power everything down
other than your RAM.

To get hibernate back make sure Hybrid sleep is disabled (on non-mobile
machines it removes the option from the Start menu) and if that doesn't make
it show up run 'powercfg -h on' on an elevated command prompt.

Personally I'd recommend using the hybrid sleep and changing the sleep mode
in the BIOS to S3, that way the system will be almost entirely off (fans,
hard drives, CPU etc) yet be able to resume in 3 or 4 seconds.

And it'll still resume even if the power gets cut, because it saves the
contents of RAM to the hard drive too like hibernate.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

<spencertaylor@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1172284786.302569.51580@v33g2000cwv.googlegro ups.com...
>I am running Vista Home Premium on a home built PC. The motherboard is
> an MSI nForce3-based board (model # 7025) an Athlon 3500+, 2 GB DDR,
> very high quality hard drives, an XFX 6800 Ultra, and if anyone needs
> more info, I can give it to them.
>
> Here is the thing, Hibernation is no longer an option for me. I mean
> that Vista removed it. It was there when I first installed Vista, but
> now I only have Sleep as an option, which does not turn the PC off.
>
> Has anyone run into this problem? Can someone please help me get
> Hibernation back?
>
> Thanks

Dan

Re: Hibernation missing
You can not have hibernate if hybrid is enabled. I suggest that you doing
some reading in your help files about the difference between hibernation and
hybrid in Windows Vista.
If after that you still wish to use hibernate go to your power settings
which is found under screen savers. Select change plan settings for the plan
that you are using. Select advanced and under sleep select hybrid sleep to
off, you can also select at this time how long before your system goes into
hibernate or not.
Bottom line is you now have hibernate as one of your options along with
sleep in your start menu.