Hard disk displayed as removal drive after updating vista

Mervyn

Hard disk displayed as removal drive after updating vista
Hello everyone,

Something strange seems to be happening after I updated Windows yesterday. I
have the home basic version.

My hard disk is being displayed as a removal drive. There is the icon
"Safely Remove Hardware" in the system tray now.

Is this normal?

Mervyn.
DevilsPGD

Re: Hard disk displayed as removal drive after updating vista
In message <5F97FBD1-4295-44E6-8479-5967AAD05606@microsoft.com> Mervyn
<Mervyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>Something strange seems to be happening after I updated Windows yesterday. I
>have the home basic version.
>
>My hard disk is being displayed as a removal drive. There is the icon
>"Safely Remove Hardware" in the system tray now.
>
>Is this normal?

I'm not sure about "normal", but I've seen it under both XP and Vista,
depending on the type of drive controller.

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
KenM

Re: Hard disk displayed as removal drive after updating vista
Hi if your drive is a sata drive and uses the proper controler it is normal
for it to show up like this
Hope this helps
Ken

In message <79769C31-D6E0-47E5-9604-72A91B726C45@microsoft.com> KenM
<KenM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi if your drive is a sata drive and uses the proper controler it is normal
>for it to show up like this

That isn't entirely true -- It looks like it depends on whether the SATA
controller thinks it's a SATA or eSATA (Although that's just a guess)

My two current machines (One desktop, one laptop, pure SATA) don't show
any removeable SATA drives unless I plug in an external eSATA.

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
Andrew

RE: Hard disk displayed as removal drive after updating vista
The same thing just started happening to my machine; I'm using Vista
Ultimate. I've been wrestling with an Acomdata Drive Enclosure for a few
weeks now, trying to use my old hard drive as a mass storage device and
recover a few personal files--the enclosure would work with Vista for awhile,
then suddenly stop working. The last time I tried to get the enclosure to
work, I tried assigning it a new drive letter: K. That didn't change the
situation, and now my C and D drives are suddenly appearing as removable
storage devices. I'm worried I'm going to accidently click on them when I try
to unmount my flash drive. (Oh, and the hard drive in the enclosure still
shows at start up, via the safe removal icon, as a kind of phantom USB mass
storage device, even though the device isn't plugged in.)

Everything else seems to be working fine. Should I worry about this?

Take care,
Andrew (I'm using my partner's Windows account)

"Mervyn" wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Something strange seems to be happening after I updated Windows yesterday. I
> have the home basic version.
>
> My hard disk is being displayed as a removal drive. There is the icon
> "Safely Remove Hardware" in the system tray now.
>
> Is this normal?
>
> Mervyn.

Nick Budd

Andrew wrote:
> The same thing just started happening to my machine; I'm using Vista
> Ultimate. I've been wrestling with an Acomdata Drive Enclosure for a few
> weeks now, trying to use my old hard drive as a mass storage device and
> recover a few personal files--the enclosure would work with Vista for awhile,
> then suddenly stop working. The last time I tried to get the enclosure to
> work, I tried assigning it a new drive letter: K. That didn't change the
> situation, and now my C and D drives are suddenly appearing as removable
> storage devices. I'm worried I'm going to accidently click on them when I try
> to unmount my flash drive. (Oh, and the hard drive in the enclosure still
> shows at start up, via the safe removal icon, as a kind of phantom USB mass
> storage device, even though the device isn't plugged in.)
>
> Everything else seems to be working fine. Should I worry about this?
>
> Take care,
> Andrew (I'm using my partner's Windows account)
>
> "Mervyn" wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> Something strange seems to be happening after I updated Windows yesterday. I
>> have the home basic version.
>>
>> My hard disk is being displayed as a removal drive. There is the icon
>> "Safely Remove Hardware" in the system tray now.
>>
>> Is this normal?
>>
>> Mervyn.

I've got exactly the same problem as both posters. Anyone know if this
could have been caused by an update and if so which one?
Nick

Wandering

Re: Hard disk displayed as removal drive after updating vista
Well, from what I've learned:

1. Do not use "safely remove" with flash drives. Simply give them a moment
after using them, and then unplug them.

2. Windows shows SATA drives in the "safely remove" because it is
translating them. Since you are going to shut down before removing them in
any event, there is no practical use for their appearance in "safely remove"
from a our standpoint.

3 Just ignore both conditions.

I don't know about the drive in the enclosure, but unless you changed it's
attributes to allow delayed writing, not the default, you can remove it the
same as above. Safely Remove would be used if it were using delayed write,
which mine do since I am on an uninterruptable power supply to avoid
possible data loss from delayed write. If any running software is using any
of these devices, you can't "safely remove" them anyway.

I hope this helps.

"Nick Budd" <nbudd@myinternetpass.com> wrote in message
> Andrew wrote:
>> The same thing just started happening to my machine; I'm using Vista
>> Ultimate. I've been wrestling with an Acomdata Drive Enclosure for a few
>> weeks now, trying to use my old hard drive as a mass storage device and
>> recover a few personal files--the enclosure would work with Vista for
>> awhile, then suddenly stop working. The last time I tried to get the
>> enclosure to work, I tried assigning it a new drive letter: K. That
>> didn't change the situation, and now my C and D drives are suddenly
>> appearing as removable storage devices. I'm worried I'm going to
>> accidently click on them when I try to unmount my flash drive. (Oh, and
>> the hard drive in the enclosure still shows at start up, via the safe
>> removal icon, as a kind of phantom USB mass storage device, even though
>> the device isn't plugged in.)
>>
>> Everything else seems to be working fine. Should I worry about this?
>>
>> Take care,
>> Andrew (I'm using my partner's Windows account)
>>
>> "Mervyn" wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> Something strange seems to be happening after I updated Windows
>>> yesterday. I have the home basic version.
>>>
>>> My hard disk is being displayed as a removal drive. There is the icon
>>> "Safely Remove Hardware" in the system tray now.
>>>
>>> Is this normal?
>>>
>>> Mervyn.

> I've got exactly the same problem as both posters. Anyone know if this
> could have been caused by an update and if so which one?
> Nick

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

Andrew

RE: Hard disk displayed as removal drive after updating vista
Hi again,

I found a quick fix for our shared problem in another Hardware & Devices
thread. I had (foolishly) downloaded an optional NVIDIA-related update,
because a different hardware discussion led me to believe it might help fix
the problems I was having with the hard drive enclosure; it didn't--why would
it?

Anyway, the NVIDIA update was causing the C drive to show up through the
Safe Removal icon. To get rid of it, the other thread recommended rolling
back the NVIDIA SATA driver to a previous version and rebooting.

Now if only I could figure out why my HD enclosure is still showing up in
the same place, even though it's been disabled, uninstalled and completely
disconnected . . .

Hope that helps,
Andrew

"Mervyn" wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Something strange seems to be happening after I updated Windows yesterday. I
> have the home basic version.
>
> My hard disk is being displayed as a removal drive. There is the icon
> "Safely Remove Hardware" in the system tray now.
>
> Is this normal?
>
> Mervyn.

erikdenhouter

Andrew;3295676 Wrote:
> Now if only I could figure out why my HD enclosure is still showing up
> in the same place, even though it's been disabled, uninstalled and
> completely disconnected . . .

Make sure that it is all about your HDD enclosure. It could be your
card reader.
Select "Show individual devices" (or so), and see if driveletters are
attached.

--
erikdenhouter
erikdenhouter's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=39635