Missing Drivers

Peter Ellison

Missing Drivers
Hi

New PC with clean install of Vista, by the PC manufacturer

PC is a Shuttle XPC

When attempting to attach a new device, in my case a HP 940c printer.

What ever type of device I select from the "Add Hardware" dialog box,
nothing is listed in the next dialog where one would expect to see a list of
manufacturers. Just the message "No drivers available" or something like
that.

It has been suggested by someone in the Printers new group that the Reg key
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion should be changed.

This key originally was set to %SystemRoot%\inf

I have changed this to c:\Windows\inf; c:\windows\system32\DriverStore;
%SystemRoot%\inf

Now I do get a list of Manufacturers and can now find listed my HP 940c
printer.

But... When it starts to install, about half way through it will stop, and
the message "Core program" is missing.

One point of interest, if I select Windows Update for the list of drivers,
HP is not listed....

I need help

Peter

roob69

Re: Missing Drivers
Just go to manufacturers website and download proper drivers for the
printer and install them directly
"Peter Ellison" <News@pelbuilt.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>

> New PC with clean install of Vista, by the PC manufacturer
>
> PC is a Shuttle XPC
>

> When attempting to attach a new device, in my case a HP 940c printer.
>
> What ever type of device I select from the "Add Hardware" dialog box,
> nothing is listed in the next dialog where one would expect to see a list
> of manufacturers. Just the message "No drivers available" or something
> like that.
>

> It has been suggested by someone in the Printers new group that the Reg
> key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion should be changed.
>

> This key originally was set to %SystemRoot%\inf
>
> I have changed this to c:\Windows\inf; c:\windows\system32\DriverStore;
> %SystemRoot%\inf
>

> Now I do get a list of Manufacturers and can now find listed my HP 940c
> printer.
>
> But... When it starts to install, about half way through it will stop,
> and the message "Core program" is missing.
>

> One point of interest, if I select Windows Update for the list of drivers,
> HP is not listed....
>

> I need help
>
> Peter

Ludwig

Re: Missing Drivers
I would think that this is a question for the manufacturer of the new PC.
"roob69" <rnsyoung@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Just go to manufacturers website and download proper drivers for the
> printer and install them directly
> "Peter Ellison" <News@pelbuilt.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>

>> New PC with clean install of Vista, by the PC manufacturer
>>
>> PC is a Shuttle XPC
>>

>> When attempting to attach a new device, in my case a HP 940c printer.
>>
>> What ever type of device I select from the "Add Hardware" dialog box,
>> nothing is listed in the next dialog where one would expect to see a list
>> of manufacturers. Just the message "No drivers available" or something
>> like that.
>>

>> It has been suggested by someone in the Printers new group that the Reg
>> key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion should be changed.
>>

>> This key originally was set to %SystemRoot%\inf
>>
>> I have changed this to c:\Windows\inf; c:\windows\system32\DriverStore;
>> %SystemRoot%\inf
>>

>> Now I do get a list of Manufacturers and can now find listed my HP 940c
>> printer.
>>
>> But... When it starts to install, about half way through it will stop,
>> and the message "Core program" is missing.
>>

>> One point of interest, if I select Windows Update for the list of
>> drivers, HP is not listed....
>>

>> I need help
>>
>> Peter

Peter Ellison

Re: Missing Drivers
Nice try.
HP report that drivers are built into Vista and not avaliable from HP
Been down this road with HP support, they gave up and said it was a MS
problem.

Thanks any way

"roob69" <rnsyoung@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Just go to manufacturers website and download proper drivers for the
> printer and install them directly
> "Peter Ellison" <News@pelbuilt.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>

>> New PC with clean install of Vista, by the PC manufacturer
>>
>> PC is a Shuttle XPC
>>

>> When attempting to attach a new device, in my case a HP 940c printer.
>>
>> What ever type of device I select from the "Add Hardware" dialog box,
>> nothing is listed in the next dialog where one would expect to see a list
>> of manufacturers. Just the message "No drivers available" or something
>> like that.
>>

>> It has been suggested by someone in the Printers new group that the Reg
>> key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion should be changed.
>>

>> This key originally was set to %SystemRoot%\inf
>>
>> I have changed this to c:\Windows\inf; c:\windows\system32\DriverStore;
>> %SystemRoot%\inf
>>

>> Now I do get a list of Manufacturers and can now find listed my HP 940c
>> printer.
>>
>> But... When it starts to install, about half way through it will stop,
>> and the message "Core program" is missing.
>>

>> One point of interest, if I select Windows Update for the list of
>> drivers, HP is not listed....
>>

>> I need help
>>
>> Peter

Peter Ellison

Re: Missing Drivers
Thanks for the advice.
And I will be chacing them.
But should you check the Printers and Fax new group, you will see other
users with similar problem to the one that I have found.

Peter.

"Ludwig" <nobody@somewhere.net> wrote in message
>I would think that this is a question for the manufacturer of the new PC.
> "roob69" <rnsyoung@optonline.net> wrote in message
>> Just go to manufacturers website and download proper drivers for the
>> printer and install them directly
>> "Peter Ellison" <News@pelbuilt.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>

>>> New PC with clean install of Vista, by the PC manufacturer
>>>
>>> PC is a Shuttle XPC
>>>

>>> When attempting to attach a new device, in my case a HP 940c printer.
>>>
>>> What ever type of device I select from the "Add Hardware" dialog box,
>>> nothing is listed in the next dialog where one would expect to see a
>>> list of manufacturers. Just the message "No drivers available" or
>>> something like that.
>>>

>>> It has been suggested by someone in the Printers new group that the Reg
>>> key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion should be changed.
>>>

>>> This key originally was set to %SystemRoot%\inf
>>>
>>> I have changed this to c:\Windows\inf; c:\windows\system32\DriverStore;
>>> %SystemRoot%\inf
>>>

>>> Now I do get a list of Manufacturers and can now find listed my HP 940c
>>> printer.
>>>
>>> But... When it starts to install, about half way through it will stop,
>>> and the message "Core program" is missing.
>>>

>>> One point of interest, if I select Windows Update for the list of
>>> drivers, HP is not listed....
>>>

>>> I need help
>>>
>>> Peter

roob69

Re: Missing Drivers
I was able to get my epson printer to work by downloading the xp drivers and
installing them. Vista then was able to recognize the printer and it works
fine. That was my solution , take it for what its worth.

"Peter Ellison" <News@pelbuilt.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>

> New PC with clean install of Vista, by the PC manufacturer
>
> PC is a Shuttle XPC
>

> When attempting to attach a new device, in my case a HP 940c printer.
>
> What ever type of device I select from the "Add Hardware" dialog box,
> nothing is listed in the next dialog where one would expect to see a list
> of manufacturers. Just the message "No drivers available" or something
> like that.
>

> It has been suggested by someone in the Printers new group that the Reg
> key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion should be changed.
>

> This key originally was set to %SystemRoot%\inf
>
> I have changed this to c:\Windows\inf; c:\windows\system32\DriverStore;
> %SystemRoot%\inf
>

> Now I do get a list of Manufacturers and can now find listed my HP 940c
> printer.
>
> But... When it starts to install, about half way through it will stop,
> and the message "Core program" is missing.
>

> One point of interest, if I select Windows Update for the list of drivers,
> HP is not listed....
>

> I need help
>
> Peter

Peter Ellison

Re: Missing Drivers
Rany thanks for you help
I tried to load from the printer's XP disk, and Vista refused to load
them.....
Regards
Peter
>I was able to get my epson printer to work by downloading the xp drivers
>and installing them. Vista then was able to recognize the printer and it
>works fine. That was my solution , take it for what its worth.
>

> "Peter Ellison" <News@pelbuilt.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>

>> New PC with clean install of Vista, by the PC manufacturer
>>
>> PC is a Shuttle XPC
>>

>> When attempting to attach a new device, in my case a HP 940c printer.
>>
>> What ever type of device I select from the "Add Hardware" dialog box,
>> nothing is listed in the next dialog where one would expect to see a list
>> of manufacturers. Just the message "No drivers available" or something
>> like that.
>>

>> It has been suggested by someone in the Printers new group that the Reg
>> key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion should be changed.
>>

>> This key originally was set to %SystemRoot%\inf
>>
>> I have changed this to c:\Windows\inf; c:\windows\system32\DriverStore;
>> %SystemRoot%\inf
>>

>> Now I do get a list of Manufacturers and can now find listed my HP 940c
>> printer.
>>
>> But... When it starts to install, about half way through it will stop,
>> and the message "Core program" is missing.
>>

>> One point of interest, if I select Windows Update for the list of
>> drivers, HP is not listed....
>>

>> I need help
>>
>> Peter

=?Utf-8?B?ZGpybQ==?=

RE: Missing Drivers
Click "Locate and install drivers software (recommended)" then "I dont have
the disc show me other options" then "Browse my computer for driver software
(advanced)" Chose the location "C:\Windows" and make sure the "include
subfolders" is ticked.

Dont forget to say thanks

"Peter Ellison" wrote:

> Hi
>

> New PC with clean install of Vista, by the PC manufacturer
>
> PC is a Shuttle XPC
>

> When attempting to attach a new device, in my case a HP 940c printer.
>
> What ever type of device I select from the "Add Hardware" dialog box,
> nothing is listed in the next dialog where one would expect to see a list of
> manufacturers. Just the message "No drivers available" or something like
> that.
>

> It has been suggested by someone in the Printers new group that the Reg key
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion should be changed.
>

> This key originally was set to %SystemRoot%\inf
>
> I have changed this to c:\Windows\inf; c:\windows\system32\DriverStore;
> %SystemRoot%\inf
>

> Now I do get a list of Manufacturers and can now find listed my HP 940c
> printer.
>
> But... When it starts to install, about half way through it will stop, and
> the message "Core program" is missing.
>

> One point of interest, if I select Windows Update for the list of drivers,
> HP is not listed....
>

> I need help
>
> Peter

Peter Ellison

Re: Missing Drivers
THANKS

Yes I have tried that trick, worked for a USB hub and an external
drive.......
but for my printer, the install still stops, when it can't find a file......
sad part is that Vista does not tell me which file is missing.

Thanks again for your help

Regards
Peter.

"djrm" <djrm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Click "Locate and install drivers software (recommended)" then "I dont
> have
> the disc show me other options" then "Browse my computer for driver
> software
> (advanced)" Chose the location "C:\Windows" and make sure the "include
> subfolders" is ticked.
>
> Dont forget to say thanks
>
> "Peter Ellison" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>

>> New PC with clean install of Vista, by the PC manufacturer
>>
>> PC is a Shuttle XPC
>>

>> When attempting to attach a new device, in my case a HP 940c printer.
>>
>> What ever type of device I select from the "Add Hardware" dialog box,
>> nothing is listed in the next dialog where one would expect to see a list
>> of
>> manufacturers. Just the message "No drivers available" or something like
>> that.
>>

>> It has been suggested by someone in the Printers new group that the Reg
>> key
>> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion should be changed.
>>

>> This key originally was set to %SystemRoot%\inf
>>
>> I have changed this to c:\Windows\inf; c:\windows\system32\DriverStore;
>> %SystemRoot%\inf
>>

>> Now I do get a list of Manufacturers and can now find listed my HP 940c
>> printer.
>>
>> But... When it starts to install, about half way through it will stop,
>> and
>> the message "Core program" is missing.
>>

>> One point of interest, if I select Windows Update for the list of
>> drivers,
>> HP is not listed....
>>

>> I need help
>>
>> Peter

JW

Re: Missing Drivers
If the install stops because it can't find a a driver for a connected
printer disconnect the printer and start over again so that the install will
complete and then look for Vista drivers for your printer at the printer
manufactures Website. and reconnect the printer.