With via AC97 sound- soloution - no volume control at Operating System level...?

Ron Bartle

With via AC97 sound- soloution - no volume control at Operating System level...?
Are there other folks haveing the problem that (even with trying a couple of
different drivers - i.e. from Realtech and MS-) the AC97 Onboard Soundsystem
only allows volume control at the application level. Any form of conrtolling
the volume settings at o.system level does not work.
This also means that for instance using a Multimedia Keyboard to try and
controll volume also does not work.

Any ideas for a solution to this?

ron b.

=?Utf-8?B?TUZTIENvbXB1dGVycw==?=

RE: With via AC97 sound- soloution - no volume control at Operating Sy
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false

second one from the bottom worked well for me using the os volume now.

"Ron Bartle" wrote:

> Are there other folks haveing the problem that (even with trying a couple of
> different drivers - i.e. from Realtech and MS-) the AC97 Onboard Soundsystem
> only allows volume control at the application level. Any form of conrtolling
> the volume settings at o.system level does not work.
> This also means that for instance using a Multimedia Keyboard to try and
> controll volume also does not work.
>
> Any ideas for a solution to this?
>
> ron b.

Ron Bartle

Re: With via AC97 sound- soloution - no volume control at Operating Sy
Hi - Thanks for the tip but I had tried this one yesterday with no change in
the results.

Perhaps the fact that what I have is an on-motherboard sound device makes a
difference?
M-board is the PC-Chips K8/M860 with Via K8T800 Chipset Family/8237

I tried a via driver that was listed as compatable with the 8237A which is
apparently a HDef version of the 8237? This gave a fault report during
installation that it had not found a Hi Definition device and did not work.
A 64bit visa compat. device for the 8237 has illuded me so far.

Gratefull for any further tips or assistance that folks might be able to
offer.

Thanks again for the try - like my dear wife says, "Computers are only
human!" <- or at least as different as one human from another often
apparently!>

ron b.

"MFS Computers" <MFSComputers@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:ADE2BD19-D86F-42BA-999A-DCDB75761A41@microsoft.com...
> http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false
>
> second one from the bottom worked well for me using the os volume now.
>
> "Ron Bartle" wrote:
>
>> Are there other folks haveing the problem that (even with trying a couple
>> of
>> different drivers - i.e. from Realtech and MS-) the AC97 Onboard
>> Soundsystem
>> only allows volume control at the application level. Any form of
>> conrtolling
>> the volume settings at o.system level does not work.
>> This also means that for instance using a Multimedia Keyboard to try and
>> controll volume also does not work.
>>
>> Any ideas for a solution to this?
>>
>> ron b.

=?Utf-8?B?TUZTIENvbXB1dGVycw==?=

Re: With via AC97 sound- soloution - no volume control at Operatin
Yup it's just one of those things, hopefully the VIA driver could have
knocked it out for you, but different manufacturers have different
implementations for the intergrated chipset.
My Model is an ASUS A87-E and worked the 1st time, but now I'm running into
mouse drivers that are not working quite yet.

Welcome to the MS Test Bed AKA consumers base.