Netgear FVS318v3 Router not working after Vista sleep mode.

John Monahan

Netgear FVS318v3 Router not working after Vista sleep mode.
I have a Netgear FVS318v3 router. It's just configured in the simple DHCP
(default) mode. No VPN etc. Its input is from a cable modem/internet. I use
4 of the 6 outlets to:-
1, an ASUS P5WDH deluxe PC motherboard running Vista
2, another PC running Windows XP
3, a Toshiba laptop
4, a Network HP printer with its own internal network card (HP 4050TN). This
is left on all the time.

OK, so when I boot up just the Vista computer. Everything works fine. As do
the other two computers and the printer. If I power down Vista computer and
reboot again all is fine. Can see internet, other computers etc.

However if I put the Vista computer in what Microsoft calls a "lower power
state" (where the computer fans, drive etc stop after a memory image is
saved to disk) and then power up later I find I cannot access the internet
half the time. It's not consistent. I think it is a function of how long the
computer is off. If it's less than 1 hour I generally have no problem.
However if does not access the internet I have to hardware or software
reboot the router. If the Vista computer is unable to access the internet as
described above the other 2 computers can not access the internet as well.

This is a complete mystery to me. I suspect it has something to do with the
DHCP numbers being changed by the router while the Vista compute is off. But
the "Attached devices" IP's in the Setup Wizard are always the same.
192.168.0.1 Router
192.168.0.2 laptop
192.168.0.3 XP computer
192.168.0.4 HP printer
192.168.0.5 Vista computer

Would really appreciate some suggestions

iceeagle

Re: Netgear FVS318v3 Router not working after Vista sleep mode.
Have you checked Netgear's site for formware upgrades, Vista warnings, etc.?
You might want to consider using a static private IP for the Vista comp.

-iceeagle

"John Monahan" <monahan@vitasoft.org> wrote in message
>I have a Netgear FVS318v3 router. It's just configured in the simple DHCP
>(default) mode. No VPN etc. Its input is from a cable modem/internet. I use
>4 of the 6 outlets to:-
> 1, an ASUS P5WDH deluxe PC motherboard running Vista
> 2, another PC running Windows XP
> 3, a Toshiba laptop
> 4, a Network HP printer with its own internal network card (HP 4050TN).
> This is left on all the time.
>
> OK, so when I boot up just the Vista computer. Everything works fine. As
> do the other two computers and the printer. If I power down Vista computer
> and reboot again all is fine. Can see internet, other computers etc.
>
> However if I put the Vista computer in what Microsoft calls a "lower power
> state" (where the computer fans, drive etc stop after a memory image is
> saved to disk) and then power up later I find I cannot access the internet
> half the time. It's not consistent. I think it is a function of how long
> the computer is off. If it's less than 1 hour I generally have no problem.
> However if does not access the internet I have to hardware or software
> reboot the router. If the Vista computer is unable to access the internet
> as described above the other 2 computers can not access the internet as
> well.
>
> This is a complete mystery to me. I suspect it has something to do with
> the DHCP numbers being changed by the router while the Vista compute is
> off. But the "Attached devices" IP's in the Setup Wizard are always the
> same.
> 192.168.0.1 Router
> 192.168.0.2 laptop
> 192.168.0.3 XP computer
> 192.168.0.4 HP printer
> 192.168.0.5 Vista computer
>
> Would really appreciate some suggestions

John Monahan

Re: Netgear FVS318v3 Router not working after Vista sleep mode.
iceeagle, Yes I just downloaded the most recent version (V3.0_2.4). So far
things are hanging in there OK.
Your Static IP suggestion is my next option. Somebody over on the Netgear
Comapny forum suggested the same thing.
Would rather not however as it is a bit of a pain each time I move things
around.