Mobility Radeon resolution problem

=?Utf-8?B?VHJ1YmJlbA==?=

Mobility Radeon resolution problem
My mobility radeon 9600 worked fine with the standard vista drivers, but
after installing the official ATI driver I got a problem with the resolution.

I cannot select the native resolution, which is 1280x800. I can only choose
from 640x480 up to 1024x768.

My display ('normal' laptop LCD) seems to be recognized as a generic LCD
display, not widescreen as it should. The refresh is at 60hz.
Dustin Harper

Re: Mobility Radeon resolution problem
Same problem here with a mobility 9700. Standard video works fine, but ATI
gives the generic monitor and bad resolution, along with horrible
performance. Microsofts driver has crappy performance also, but not as bad.
Take both out and run it as generic VGA card, and it's super snappy but
looks like crap...

I'm working to find a solution... Nothing yet, though.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"Trubbel" <Trubbel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My mobility radeon 9600 worked fine with the standard vista drivers, but
> after installing the official ATI driver I got a problem with the
> resolution.
>
> I cannot select the native resolution, which is 1280x800. I can only
> choose
> from 640x480 up to 1024x768.
>
> My display ('normal' laptop LCD) seems to be recognized as a generic LCD
> display, not widescreen as it should. The refresh is at 60hz.

James Rainey

Re: Mobility Radeon resolution problem
Have you tried finding the driver for your display? IBM, DELL, SONY etc all
have digitally signed display drivers that will allow you to use the correct
resolutions designed for the monitor or laptop screen. I ran into this
problem on my T42p from IBM. Installing the correct driver for the display
(not the graphics card) solved the problem.

Good Luck,
JIM
"Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
> Same problem here with a mobility 9700. Standard video works fine, but ATI
> gives the generic monitor and bad resolution, along with horrible
> performance. Microsofts driver has crappy performance also, but not as
> bad. Take both out and run it as generic VGA card, and it's super snappy
> but looks like crap...
>
> I'm working to find a solution... Nothing yet, though.
>
> --
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com
>
> --
> "Trubbel" <Trubbel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> My mobility radeon 9600 worked fine with the standard vista drivers, but
>> after installing the official ATI driver I got a problem with the
>> resolution.
>>
>> I cannot select the native resolution, which is 1280x800. I can only
>> choose
>> from 640x480 up to 1024x768.
>>
>> My display ('normal' laptop LCD) seems to be recognized as a generic LCD
>> display, not widescreen as it should. The refresh is at 60hz.

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Mobility Radeon resolution problem
Does your notebook manufacturer not have updated Vista drivers yet?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Trubbel" <Trubbel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My mobility radeon 9600 worked fine with the standard vista drivers, but
> after installing the official ATI driver I got a problem with the
> resolution.
>
> I cannot select the native resolution, which is 1280x800. I can only
> choose
> from 640x480 up to 1024x768.
>
> My display ('normal' laptop LCD) seems to be recognized as a generic LCD
> display, not widescreen as it should. The refresh is at 60hz.

=?Utf-8?B?VHJ1YmJlbA==?=

Re: Mobility Radeon resolution problem
No, Fujitsu-Siemens does not officially support Windows Vista for my
notebook. So they don't have any Vista drivers available. However, everything
else worked out-of-the-box, so that's good at least.

Regarding the display drivers that James Rainey mentioned, I have been
unable to find any driver for the LCD display.

My notebook is a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D1840, but I don't know if the
display has any specific name/type.

Thanks for the responses so far! Would love to get this solved

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Does your notebook manufacturer not have updated Vista drivers yet?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "Trubbel" <Trubbel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My mobility radeon 9600 worked fine with the standard vista drivers, but
> > after installing the official ATI driver I got a problem with the
> > resolution.
> >
> > I cannot select the native resolution, which is 1280x800. I can only
> > choose
> > from 640x480 up to 1024x768.
> >
> > My display ('normal' laptop LCD) seems to be recognized as a generic LCD
> > display, not widescreen as it should. The refresh is at 60hz.

JW

Re: Mobility Radeon resolution problem
Uou shoud be able to go into an Advanced Mode in the drivers or in the
Catalyst Control Center and select something like Show All Modes so that you
can set the resolution to what you want. Or you might also have to tell
the driver or CCC that you have a Flat Panel display to get it to offer more
choices.
Displays themselves do not have drivers only the graphics cards that drive
them due;
Displays have .inf files which provide to the drivers a list of resolutions
that they will accept amd it the .inf file for your model that apparently
has not been provided.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" <NewsGroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
> Does your notebook manufacturer not have updated Vista drivers yet?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "Trubbel" <Trubbel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> My mobility radeon 9600 worked fine with the standard vista drivers, but
>> after installing the official ATI driver I got a problem with the
>> resolution.
>>
>> I cannot select the native resolution, which is 1280x800. I can only
>> choose
>> from 640x480 up to 1024x768.
>>
>> My display ('normal' laptop LCD) seems to be recognized as a generic LCD
>> display, not widescreen as it should. The refresh is at 60hz.

=?Utf-8?B?VHJ1YmJlbA==?=

Re: Mobility Radeon resolution problem
I have tried the "show all modes" thing, but it's the same problem there. It
displays a bunch of alternatives from 640x480 up to only 1024x768. The modes
are all 4:3 aspect ratio, not widescreen.

And there is no other option in the display selection roll-down.

Can you explain how I could get/make such an .inf file please? Or how I "tell
the driver or CCC that you have a Flat Panel display" as you say.

By the way, it already recognizes it as a generic LCD, just not a widescreen
one.

Thanks in advance

"JW" wrote:

> Uou shoud be able to go into an Advanced Mode in the drivers or in the
> Catalyst Control Center and select something like Show All Modes so that you
> can set the resolution to what you want. Or you might also have to tell
> the driver or CCC that you have a Flat Panel display to get it to offer more
> choices.
> Displays themselves do not have drivers only the graphics cards that drive
> them due;
> Displays have .inf files which provide to the drivers a list of resolutions
> that they will accept amd it the .inf file for your model that apparently
> has not been provided.
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <NewsGroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
> > Does your notebook manufacturer not have updated Vista drivers yet?
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP)
> > Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
> > http://www.coribright.com/windows
> >
> > "Trubbel" <Trubbel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> My mobility radeon 9600 worked fine with the standard vista drivers, but
> >> after installing the official ATI driver I got a problem with the
> >> resolution.
> >>
> >> I cannot select the native resolution, which is 1280x800. I can only
> >> choose
> >> from 640x480 up to 1024x768.
> >>
> >> My display ('normal' laptop LCD) seems to be recognized as a generic LCD
> >> display, not widescreen as it should. The refresh is at 60hz.

JW

Re: Mobility Radeon resolution problem
Since I don't have an ATI graphics card I can not provide any detail on how
to get to their custom resolution option or to chagne the type of monitor
that the ATI drivers think they are connected to. Are you using the latest
ATI 7.2 drivers which were released Feb 20th and read the release notes for
them?

>I have tried the "show all modes" thing, but it's the same problem there.
>It
> displays a bunch of alternatives from 640x480 up to only 1024x768. The
> modes
> are all 4:3 aspect ratio, not widescreen.
>
> And there is no other option in the display selection roll-down.
>
> Can you explain how I could get/make such an .inf file please? Or how I
> "tell
> the driver or CCC that you have a Flat Panel display" as you say.
>
> By the way, it already recognizes it as a generic LCD, just not a
> widescreen
> one.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> "JW" wrote:
>
>> Uou shoud be able to go into an Advanced Mode in the drivers or in the
>> Catalyst Control Center and select something like Show All Modes so that
>> you
>> can set the resolution to what you want. Or you might also have to tell
>> the driver or CCC that you have a Flat Panel display to get it to offer
>> more
>> choices.
>> Displays themselves do not have drivers only the graphics cards that
>> drive
>> them due;
>> Displays have .inf files which provide to the drivers a list of
>> resolutions
>> that they will accept amd it the .inf file for your model that apparently
>> has not been provided.
>>
>> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <NewsGroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
>> > Does your notebook manufacturer not have updated Vista drivers yet?
>> > --
>> > Cari (MS-MVP)
>> > Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
>> > http://www.coribright.com/windows

Dustin Harper

Re: Mobility Radeon resolution problem
I had to uninstall the ATI drivers, install a generic Digital Display
(1280x800 WS), and put Microsoft's Display Driver on there. Then I had to
change the PC type to a ACPI PC instead of a x86 ACPI PC. At first, I tried
to manually create a new .inf file with a custom resolution, but it didn't
work either.

All that work got it working. I would like to have the ATI drivers on there,
but for some reason it only does the 800x600 and 1024x768. Even with
PowerStrip it will not work. It identifies the monitor as the 1280x800, but
the ATI drivers only have a max of the 1024x768, and will not allow a custom
resolution.

I may see if Omega has drivers, or manually edit the ATI drivers to get the
custom resolution.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"Trubbel" <Trubbel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My mobility radeon 9600 worked fine with the standard vista drivers, but
> after installing the official ATI driver I got a problem with the
> resolution.
>
> I cannot select the native resolution, which is 1280x800. I can only
> choose
> from 640x480 up to 1024x768.
>
> My display ('normal' laptop LCD) seems to be recognized as a generic LCD
> display, not widescreen as it should. The refresh is at 60hz.

JW

Re: Mobility Radeon resolution problem
You might tcheck out the following site, however, I don't know if they
support ATI latptop cards as well as they do the NVIDIA ones but there may
be other information there that will help you.

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com./