nVidia BSOD nvlddmkm.sys

=?Utf-8?B?RGVwb3Bz?=

nVidia BSOD nvlddmkm.sys
I am using Vista Home Premium on:
Athlon64 3000
MSI GeForce 7800GT
GA-K8NF-9 motherboard
2GB RAM

Every time I tried to install, the installer would BSOD near the end when it
tried to load my video drivers. The BSOD pointed to nvlddmkm.sys. I was
finally able to complete an install by letting this happen, then booting from
the disc and using the command prompt to delete nvlddmkm.sys. When the
installer tried to continue, it couldn't find the driver so it just went on
without it.

Any time I try to install video drivers, I get the same BSOD pointing to
nvlddmkm.sys. I have tried all kinds of drivers from the default one privided
with Vista, to nVidia's WHQL drivers, to nVidia's beta drivers. All give
exactly the same fault.

I have updated my BIOS, loaded default BIOS settings, and updated my nForce
motherboard drivers to no avail.

My system has never had any problems running Windows XP and it continues to
work fine when I boot it up since I installed Vista.

Does anyone know what's causing this and if there's a fix? I understand that
nVidia are having lots of driver problems but it seems that most people can
at least get in to Windows. I haven't been able to try out Aero yet!
=?Utf-8?B?bWFyY2E=?=

RE: nVidia BSOD nvlddmkm.sys
bump, having the exact same problem, have you found any solutions?

/martin

"Depops" wrote:

> I am using Vista Home Premium on:
> Athlon64 3000
> MSI GeForce 7800GT
> GA-K8NF-9 motherboard
> 2GB RAM
>
> Every time I tried to install, the installer would BSOD near the end when it
> tried to load my video drivers. The BSOD pointed to nvlddmkm.sys. I was
> finally able to complete an install by letting this happen, then booting from
> the disc and using the command prompt to delete nvlddmkm.sys. When the
> installer tried to continue, it couldn't find the driver so it just went on
> without it.
>
> Any time I try to install video drivers, I get the same BSOD pointing to
> nvlddmkm.sys. I have tried all kinds of drivers from the default one privided
> with Vista, to nVidia's WHQL drivers, to nVidia's beta drivers. All give
> exactly the same fault.
>
> I have updated my BIOS, loaded default BIOS settings, and updated my nForce
> motherboard drivers to no avail.
>
> My system has never had any problems running Windows XP and it continues to
> work fine when I boot it up since I installed Vista.
>
> Does anyone know what's causing this and if there's a fix? I understand that
> nVidia are having lots of driver problems but it seems that most people can
> at least get in to Windows. I haven't been able to try out Aero yet!

Hohen

nVidia BSOD nvlddmkm.sys - Depop
I have the same problem when I install vista, but there thi problem also windows xp and the bug ar localized on "CPU to AGP" driver. I need to install VIAGART file driver contained in VIA-Hyperion package.... maybe run under Vista. ;-)

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
=?Utf-8?B?RHdhaW4=?=

RE: nVidia BSOD nvlddmkm.sys - Depop
I have found and fixed the problem today. This is what appears to happen.
during the installation of the most current drivers 100.65 Vista, an OLD file
nvlddmkm.sys is copied into windows/system32/drivers and not the current one
in the install. As a result the new drivers are attempting to access a file
dated 11/2006 instead of 2/2007 ver 7.15.11.0065 which is in the newest WHQL
driver ver 100.65 vista 32.

Fix: Go to windows/system32/drivers and rename nvlddmkm.sys to
nvlddmkm.sys.old. Go to the nvidia directory and find the file nvlddmkm.sy_
and copy it to windows/system32. Using the cmd window (DOS box) type
EXPAND.EXE nvlddmkm.sy_ nvlddmkm.sys. When the expansion is complete, copy
the new nvlddmkm.sys to windows/system32/drivers and restart the computer.

Your computer should now work properly.

You will notice that any uninstall and reinstall of nvidia drivers will not
remove the old nvlddmkm.sys file and will not overwrite it with the newer
version. You have to do it manually. I do not know why this happens but who
cares as long it is fixed.

Good luck...

"Hohen" wrote:

> I have the same problem when I install vista, but there thi problem also windows xp and the bug ar localized on "CPU to AGP" driver. I need to install VIAGART file driver contained in VIA-Hyperion package.... maybe run under Vista. ;-)

> http://www.eggheadcafe.com

hetaali

Re: nVidia BSOD nvlddmkm.sys

When i try to delete the nvlddmkm.sys file or replace it with your
instructions bellow - the system gives me this text when i reboot and
windows is about to start (regardless of safe mode or not)

"The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected
error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows click ok
to restart"

any help?

/Martin

--
hetaali
hetaali's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=23041

http://forums.techarena.in

AlKolkin

Re: nVidia BSOD nvlddmkm.sys
The latest Nvidia 158 driver goes through the process of eliminating older
versions. However, that is NOT the only problem and will NOT fix your system
permanently.

Various websites and a potential law suit talk about the problem of using the
8800 Series with Vista. When running DreamScene, DirectX 10.0 demos, and
video DVD's, a message pops up saying that Nvlddmkm.dll or nvlddmkm.sys has
lost connectivity and has been recovered. In some cases the computer has to
be rebooted and the offending programs not run again. In some cases, there
is a BSOD or other error messages.

Many solutions, including driver updates and elimination of older versions
of the drivers have been suggested. None of them work.

Well, for me the problem appears fixed; I simply turned off UAC!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everything has been running fine for an hour, which is a record.

My setup is as follows:

* Hardware and software firewall, antispyware, and anti virus software
* Asus Striker Extreme
* PNY 8800 GTX -- Driver version 7.15.11.5818 (158.15)
* 2 GB Corsair Dominator memory
* OC the CPU to 3.00 MHz
* Two Raptor RAID 0 drives
* External RAID 5 backup
* Creative X-Fi gamer

I really hope that this post helps people.

"hetaali" wrote:

> When i try to delete the nvlddmkm.sys file or replace it with your
> instructions bellow - the system gives me this text when i reboot and
> windows is about to start (regardless of safe mode or not)
>
> "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected
> error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows click ok
> to restart"
>
> any help?
>
> /Martin
>

> Dwain;2628715 Wrote:
> > I have found and fixed the problem today. This is what appears to
> > happen.
> > during the installation of the most current drivers 100.65 Vista, an
> > OLD file
> > nvlddmkm.sys is copied into windows/system32/drivers and not the
> > current one
> > in the install. As a result the new drivers are attempting to access a
> > file
> > dated 11/2006 instead of 2/2007 ver 7.15.11.0065 which is in the newest
> > WHQL
> > driver ver 100.65 vista 32.
> >
> > Fix: Go to windows/system32/drivers and rename nvlddmkm.sys to
> > nvlddmkm.sys.old. Go to the nvidia directory and find the file
> > nvlddmkm.sy_
> > and copy it to windows/system32. Using the cmd window (DOS box) type
> > EXPAND.EXE nvlddmkm.sy_ nvlddmkm.sys. When the expansion is complete,
> > copy
> > the new nvlddmkm.sys to windows/system32/drivers and restart the
> > computer.
> >
> > Your computer should now work properly.
> >
> > You will notice that any uninstall and reinstall of nvidia drivers will
> > not
> > remove the old nvlddmkm.sys file and will not overwrite it with the
> > newer
> > version. You have to do it manually. I do not know why this happens
> > but who
> > cares as long it is fixed.
> >
> > Good luck...
> >
> > "Hohen" wrote:
> >
> > > I have the same problem when I install vista, but there thi problem

> > also windows xp and the bug ar localized on "CPU to AGP" driver. I need
> > to install VIAGART file driver contained in VIA-Hyperion package....
> > maybe run under Vista. ;-)
> > >
> > > EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
> > > http://www.eggheadcafe.com
> > >

> --
> hetaali
> hetaali's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=23041
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=689444
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

tonyblue

Re: nVidia BSOD nvlddmkm.sys

*-_Dwain_-*
thank you

--
tonyblue
tonyblue's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/tonyblue.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

thiagodm

Re: nVidia BSOD nvlddmkm.sys

Hello,
I discovered a way to resolve my problem. And I only registered to help
who still stuck on this.
I realize that it started after the nvidia service kicks in. So the
solution that worked for me:

Start in safe mode
go to command
type
sc delete nvsvc (don't remember if it was nvsvc or nvvsvc try both)
sc delete nvvsvc
sc delete nvlddmkm

retype to check if it is deleted

restart

update nvidia driver using windows udpate (if is your case) or/then
install newest drivers.

Hope it helps.

--
thiagodm
thiagodm's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/thiagodm.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-har...ces/689444.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

cjhamit

Re: nVidia BSOD nvlddmkm.sys

Dwain;2628715 Wrote:
> I have found and fixed the problem today. This is what appears to
> happen.
> during the installation of the most current drivers 100.65 Vista, an
> OLD file
> nvlddmkm.sys is copied into windows/system32/drivers and not the
> current one
> in the install. As a result the new drivers are attempting to access a
> file
> dated 11/2006 instead of 2/2007 ver 7.15.11.0065 which is in the newest
> WHQL
> driver ver 100.65 vista 32.
>
> Fix: Go to windows/system32/drivers and rename nvlddmkm.sys to
> nvlddmkm.sys.old. Go to the nvidia directory and find the file
> nvlddmkm.sy_
> and copy it to windows/system32. Using the cmd window (DOS box) type
> EXPAND.EXE nvlddmkm.sy_ nvlddmkm.sys. When the expansion is complete,
> copy
> the new nvlddmkm.sys to windows/system32/drivers and restart the
> computer.
>
> Your computer should now work properly.
>
> You will notice that any uninstall and reinstall of nvidia drivers will
> not
> remove the old nvlddmkm.sys file and will not overwrite it with the
> newer
> version. You have to do it manually. I do not know why this happens
> but who
> cares as long it is fixed.
>
> Good luck...

Dwain I cannot thank you enough. I spent many hours trying to find the
nvidia driver I knew was the culprit somewhere. I got stuck half way
through the recovery process with a hung black screen, this meant I
could not access safe mode to resolve the issue..

For anyone who may be reading this that has an HP laptop with the black
screen and may be stuck during installation from HP recovery, I used
this solution to change the driver name from nvlddmkm.sys to
nvlddmkm.sys.old . I could not complete the rest of the process because
the fresh install had already deleted the nvidia folder. However just
changing the name of this defunct file allowed windows to boot past the
black screen and I am now typing from my fresh vista install

You can use the "repair startup function" when windows loads or
alternatively use the F11 to recovery option (then cancel recovery) and
access the cmd.
From here you need to navigate to C:\windows\system32\drivers
Then do the rename nvlddmkm.sys nvlddmkm.sys.old

Good luck and many thanks Dwain, cjhamit.

--
cjhamit
cjhamit's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/125616.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-har...ces/689444.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Curious

Re: nVidia BSOD nvlddmkm.sys
Winupdate does not install the latest drivers for a Graphics card. It
installs the drivers that the Graphic card manufacturer released when the
graphics card was first shipped which are often not at all compatible with
your current system.
The current Drivers for cards with Nvidia chips from the Nvidia Web site are
the 190.xx drivers.