Failed load (Driver) for External Drive

fly_fishr

Failed load (Driver) for External Drive
I recently bought a Seagate Xternal Drive (Model is "Free Agent") and it
doesn't come with a cd-driver., it's plug n' play and supposed to prompt
Vista to activate a pre-installed driver. It won't install - in fact, the
computer only recognizes the external hard drive as an, "Other" - Mass
storage device., and won't assign a Drive letter - which means I cannot get a
successful backup of my files into it...
I've spent hours with technicians from the manufacturer of both the computer
I have, and from Seagate - without success. I NEED HELP.
I'm a bit ticked that the Windows Vista Business program which came with my
computer and was activated months back .. now that I'm trying to use this
internal driver (fails) and I'm being discouraged to request info from tech
support since they only want to "cover" the software for what, 90 days ..
then charge $59.00/hour ?? Not good - and definitely not standing behind the
product.
Cal Bear '66

Re: Failed load (Driver) for External Drive
This solution has worked for some people with problematic USB devices:

Locate the file INFCACHE.1 in C:\Windows\inf

Right click on the INFCACHE.1 file, select Properties >Security > Edit, and give
your account full control.

Delete INFCACHE.1, or rename it to INFCACHE.1.BAK or temporarily move to your
desktop.

REBOOT

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"fly_fishr" <flyfishr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently bought a Seagate Xternal Drive (Model is "Free Agent") and it
> doesn't come with a cd-driver., it's plug n' play and supposed to prompt
> Vista to activate a pre-installed driver. It won't install - in fact, the
> computer only recognizes the external hard drive as an, "Other" - Mass
> storage device., and won't assign a Drive letter - which means I cannot get a
> successful backup of my files into it...
> I've spent hours with technicians from the manufacturer of both the computer
> I have, and from Seagate - without success. I NEED HELP.
> I'm a bit ticked that the Windows Vista Business program which came with my
> computer and was activated months back .. now that I'm trying to use this
> internal driver (fails) and I'm being discouraged to request info from tech
> support since they only want to "cover" the software for what, 90 days ..
> then charge $59.00/hour ?? Not good - and definitely not standing behind the
> product.

fly_fishr

Re: Failed load (Driver) for External Drive

I thank You for the response - however, when I tried to rename the file
(INFCACHE.1 to INFCACHE.1.BAK) the computer gave me a response indicating I
didn't have authority to do this .... (Obviously, I'm pretty much a novice
at this sort of thing ....) Anyway, I am the one and only user of this
computer - so, ...... ? Not too sure what to do next ..... So, a Bears fan
.... (grin) .. I won't debate that .. although, I AM from Oregon .... (I
rust and don't tan ... born w/web feet ....) grin ..

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> This solution has worked for some people with problematic USB devices:
>
> Locate the file INFCACHE.1 in C:\Windows\inf
>
> Right click on the INFCACHE.1 file, select Properties >Security > Edit, and give
> your account full control.
>
> Delete INFCACHE.1, or rename it to INFCACHE.1.BAK or temporarily move to your
> desktop.
>
> REBOOT
>

> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "fly_fishr" <flyfishr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently bought a Seagate Xternal Drive (Model is "Free Agent") and it
> > doesn't come with a cd-driver., it's plug n' play and supposed to prompt
> > Vista to activate a pre-installed driver. It won't install - in fact, the
> > computer only recognizes the external hard drive as an, "Other" - Mass
> > storage device., and won't assign a Drive letter - which means I cannot get a
> > successful backup of my files into it...
> > I've spent hours with technicians from the manufacturer of both the computer
> > I have, and from Seagate - without success. I NEED HELP.
> > I'm a bit ticked that the Windows Vista Business program which came with my
> > computer and was activated months back .. now that I'm trying to use this
> > internal driver (fails) and I'm being discouraged to request info from tech
> > support since they only want to "cover" the software for what, 90 days ..
> > then charge $59.00/hour ?? Not good - and definitely not standing behind the
> > product.

Cal Bear '66

Re: Failed load (Driver) for External Drive
Born in Klamath Falls myself. So I'm a web-footed Bear.

You have to right click on the file, select Properties, Securities tab, Edit
button, approve UAC, highlight Users, check Allow Full control box, Apply, and
OK.

--

> I thank You for the response - however, when I tried to rename the file
> (INFCACHE.1 to INFCACHE.1.BAK) the computer gave me a response indicating I
> didn't have authority to do this .... (Obviously, I'm pretty much a novice
> at this sort of thing ....) Anyway, I am the one and only user of this
> computer - so, ...... ? Not too sure what to do next ..... So, a Bears fan
> ... (grin) .. I won't debate that .. although, I AM from Oregon .... (I
> rust and don't tan ... born w/web feet ....) grin ..
>

> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> This solution has worked for some people with problematic USB devices:
>>
>> Locate the file INFCACHE.1 in C:\Windows\inf
>>
>> Right click on the INFCACHE.1 file, select Properties >Security > Edit, and
>> give
>> your account full control.
>>
>> Delete INFCACHE.1, or rename it to INFCACHE.1.BAK or temporarily move to your
>> desktop.
>>
>> REBOOT
>>

>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "fly_fishr" <flyfishr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I recently bought a Seagate Xternal Drive (Model is "Free Agent") and it
>> > doesn't come with a cd-driver., it's plug n' play and supposed to prompt
>> > Vista to activate a pre-installed driver. It won't install - in fact, the
>> > computer only recognizes the external hard drive as an, "Other" - Mass
>> > storage device., and won't assign a Drive letter - which means I cannot get
>> > successful backup of my files into it...
>> > I've spent hours with technicians from the manufacturer of both the
>> > computer
>> > I have, and from Seagate - without success. I NEED HELP.
>> > I'm a bit ticked that the Windows Vista Business program which came with my
>> > computer and was activated months back .. now that I'm trying to use this
>> > internal driver (fails) and I'm being discouraged to request info from tech
>> > support since they only want to "cover" the software for what, 90 days ..
>> > then charge $59.00/hour ?? Not good - and definitely not standing behind
>> > the
>> > product.

fly_fishr

Re: Failed load (Driver) for External Drive
OK ... I managed to rename the file -- but, after rebooting - the computer
still
doesn't recognize the Seagate Free-Agent external drive as anything other than
"Other Device" ... and calls it a Mass storage device .... When I tried to
re-load
the driver/s for it ... I get an error message that the driver was located
but unable to install ...... pitts ...

As to "where" in Oregon I'm at .. Redmond .. although I was born and raised
on the
Oregon Coast .. (Waldport..) Left the state for about 15 years .. moved to
Idaho and later to Nevada .. but couldn't stand it in those places compared
to here ... although Idaho was a close 2nd .... (Very close..) But .. tough
to make a living there .. 'course I could say the same thing about Alaska
too .... (I go there every summer .. fly fish for King Salmon .. that's why
my display name ....) I'd rather fly-fish than eat .... and here I sit in
front of a damned computer ..... oh well ... life .. right? ..
I sure appreciate the help you're giving me, ....
Gettin' pretty frustrated ... I did take the Seagate Drive back and
exchanged it last night ... but it was the same story .... although for a
little while last night, the computer recognized it and called it, "Drive J"
...... but this morning, when I booted up the computer it was back to "Other
devices" ... and there was no Drive J indicated ..... interesting isn't it?
.... Anyway .. any advice ?

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> Born in Klamath Falls myself. So I'm a web-footed Bear.
>
> You have to right click on the file, select Properties, Securities tab, Edit
> button, approve UAC, highlight Users, check Allow Full control box, Apply, and
> OK.
>

> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "fly_fishr" <flyfishr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I thank You for the response - however, when I tried to rename the file
> > (INFCACHE.1 to INFCACHE.1.BAK) the computer gave me a response indicating I
> > didn't have authority to do this .... (Obviously, I'm pretty much a novice
> > at this sort of thing ....) Anyway, I am the one and only user of this
> > computer - so, ...... ? Not too sure what to do next ..... So, a Bears fan
> > ... (grin) .. I won't debate that .. although, I AM from Oregon .... (I
> > rust and don't tan ... born w/web feet ....) grin ..
> >

> > "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
> >
> >> This solution has worked for some people with problematic USB devices:
> >>
> >> Locate the file INFCACHE.1 in C:\Windows\inf
> >>
> >> Right click on the INFCACHE.1 file, select Properties >Security > Edit, and
> >> give
> >> your account full control.
> >>
> >> Delete INFCACHE.1, or rename it to INFCACHE.1.BAK or temporarily move to your
> >> desktop.
> >>
> >> REBOOT
> >>

> >> --
> >> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> >> GO BEARS!

Eleonore

Re: Failed load (Driver) for External Drive
Hi, I am having a similar problem, with both my CD-Roms, the one on my
computer,Drive E and my external one,Drive J. Yesterday I worked with 'E'
burning CDs and last night it disappeared from the view of "My computer"; I
then connected my external drive to the UBS port and it didn't show up
either. I have tried all the 'tips' to get upgraded, to search for a
'solution' nothing worked. I get error message 39. I am going to try your
suggestion, but wanted to know, how to I put INFCACHE.1 back in its proper
place from my desktop, after I restart the computer? Or do you have another
suggestion?Thanks for any help,Eleonore

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> This solution has worked for some people with problematic USB devices:
>
> Locate the file INFCACHE.1 in C:\Windows\inf
>
> Right click on the INFCACHE.1 file, select Properties >Security > Edit, and give
> your account full control.
>
> Delete INFCACHE.1, or rename it to INFCACHE.1.BAK or temporarily move to your
> desktop.
>
> REBOOT
>

> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "fly_fishr" <flyfishr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently bought a Seagate Xternal Drive (Model is "Free Agent") and it
> > doesn't come with a cd-driver., it's plug n' play and supposed to prompt
> > Vista to activate a pre-installed driver. It won't install - in fact, the
> > computer only recognizes the external hard drive as an, "Other" - Mass
> > storage device., and won't assign a Drive letter - which means I cannot get a
> > successful backup of my files into it...
> > I've spent hours with technicians from the manufacturer of both the computer
> > I have, and from Seagate - without success. I NEED HELP.
> > I'm a bit ticked that the Windows Vista Business program which came with my
> > computer and was activated months back .. now that I'm trying to use this
> > internal driver (fails) and I'm being discouraged to request info from tech
> > support since they only want to "cover" the software for what, 90 days ..
> > then charge $59.00/hour ?? Not good - and definitely not standing behind the
> > product.

Cal Bear '66

Re: Failed load (Driver) for External Drive
For error 39 try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461/en-us

NOTE: If the above does not work, and the INFCACHE.1 resolution does work,
INFCACHE.1 (or it's backup) should be deleted, not restored.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Eleonore" <Eleonore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am having a similar problem, with both my CD-Roms, the one on my
> computer,Drive E and my external one,Drive J. Yesterday I worked with 'E'
> burning CDs and last night it disappeared from the view of "My computer"; I
> then connected my external drive to the UBS port and it didn't show up
> either. I have tried all the 'tips' to get upgraded, to search for a
> 'solution' nothing worked. I get error message 39. I am going to try your
> suggestion, but wanted to know, how to I put INFCACHE.1 back in its proper
> place from my desktop, after I restart the computer? Or do you have another
> suggestion?Thanks for any help,Eleonore
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> This solution has worked for some people with problematic USB devices:
>>
>> Locate the file INFCACHE.1 in C:\Windows\inf
>>
>> Right click on the INFCACHE.1 file, select Properties >Security > Edit, and
>> give
>> your account full control.
>>
>> Delete INFCACHE.1, or rename it to INFCACHE.1.BAK or temporarily move to your
>> desktop.
>>
>> REBOOT
>>

>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "fly_fishr" <flyfishr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I recently bought a Seagate Xternal Drive (Model is "Free Agent") and it
>> > doesn't come with a cd-driver., it's plug n' play and supposed to prompt
>> > Vista to activate a pre-installed driver. It won't install - in fact, the
>> > computer only recognizes the external hard drive as an, "Other" - Mass
>> > storage device., and won't assign a Drive letter - which means I cannot get
>> > successful backup of my files into it...
>> > I've spent hours with technicians from the manufacturer of both the
>> > computer
>> > I have, and from Seagate - without success. I NEED HELP.
>> > I'm a bit ticked that the Windows Vista Business program which came with my
>> > computer and was activated months back .. now that I'm trying to use this
>> > internal driver (fails) and I'm being discouraged to request info from tech
>> > support since they only want to "cover" the software for what, 90 days ..
>> > then charge $59.00/hour ?? Not good - and definitely not standing behind
>> > the
>> > product.

Nitin

Re: Failed load (Driver) for External Drive
Hi

I probably am having the same problem. I have 2 External USB Connected Hard
drives which show in the Computer Management and Device Manager programs as
being up and running. The Ding Dong goes on and off when I disconnect and
reconnect the USB cable from the Device.

However, these do NOT show in My Computer. Tried the Safely REmove Hardware
and in this box, only 1 of the 2 show as being connected.

Thanks for any help on this, I have stuff on the drives that I cannot loose.
Nitin

"Eleonore" wrote:

> Hi, I am having a similar problem, with both my CD-Roms, the one on my
> computer,Drive E and my external one,Drive J. Yesterday I worked with 'E'
> burning CDs and last night it disappeared from the view of "My computer"; I
> then connected my external drive to the UBS port and it didn't show up
> either. I have tried all the 'tips' to get upgraded, to search for a
> 'solution' nothing worked. I get error message 39. I am going to try your
> suggestion, but wanted to know, how to I put INFCACHE.1 back in its proper
> place from my desktop, after I restart the computer? Or do you have another
> suggestion?Thanks for any help,Eleonore
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
> > This solution has worked for some people with problematic USB devices:
> >
> > Locate the file INFCACHE.1 in C:\Windows\inf
> >
> > Right click on the INFCACHE.1 file, select Properties >Security > Edit, and give
> > your account full control.
> >
> > Delete INFCACHE.1, or rename it to INFCACHE.1.BAK or temporarily move to your
> > desktop.
> >
> > REBOOT
> >

> > --
> > I Bleed Blue and Gold
> > GO BEARS!
> >

> > "fly_fishr" <flyfishr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I recently bought a Seagate Xternal Drive (Model is "Free Agent") and it
> > > doesn't come with a cd-driver., it's plug n' play and supposed to prompt
> > > Vista to activate a pre-installed driver. It won't install - in fact, the
> > > computer only recognizes the external hard drive as an, "Other" - Mass
> > > storage device., and won't assign a Drive letter - which means I cannot get a
> > > successful backup of my files into it...
> > > I've spent hours with technicians from the manufacturer of both the computer
> > > I have, and from Seagate - without success. I NEED HELP.
> > > I'm a bit ticked that the Windows Vista Business program which came with my
> > > computer and was activated months back .. now that I'm trying to use this
> > > internal driver (fails) and I'm being discouraged to request info from tech
> > > support since they only want to "cover" the software for what, 90 days ..
> > > then charge $59.00/hour ?? Not good - and definitely not standing behind the
> > > product.

eaglenisa

Re: Failed load (Driver) for External Drive

Hi

Cal bear PLEASE HELP!

This is the first time I am using Support and hope there is somebody who
can help me. I have had a constant problem with the USB ports; they show a
Yellow Exclamation mark on all the Intel (R) 82801Gg (ICH7 Family) USB
Controllers

Under universal bus controllers

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be
corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the
driver software encountered a problem when it tried to run. The problem code
is 39.

When this happens I usually do a system restore to a previous day and it
fixes the problem, but this time I had no restore points to go back to. I
have installed the drivers from the CD but they keep failing. I have
uninstalled the drivers/hardware and reinstalled but it still shows the
yellow mark. Something is preventing the drivers from loading. I have also
disabled antivirus and firewall but still nothing.

Could you please advise what to do urgently as I can not use anything in my
USB PORTS.

My Computer spec is as follows:-

1. Intel CPU CORE 2 DUO
2. INTEL d975xbx2 Quade-Core Motherboard
3. Geforce 8600 GTS
4. Vista Ultimate 32bit oem

Many Thanks
Eaglenisa