Converting my external USB FAT external hard drive to NFTS

=?Utf-8?B?bGFkeW1zdmVl?=

Converting my external USB FAT external hard drive to NFTS
Hi:
I just purchased a maxtor usb external hard drive, while the computer has
recognized it, I cannot format it or convert it.
When I try to convert it using the command prompt saying it cannot
determine file system.
When I try to format it does read it all.
I am operating windows business vista, as this was purchased from e-bay the
item was probably run under a earlier version of windows can that be the
problem?, if so then I need to use the compatiablity wizard to operate it
under an earlier version but how do I apply the wizard to hardware when I
thought it can only be used for software?
It is a FAT system and not a FAT32 system- should I convert to a Fat32
system first and then NFTS? Or are they the same? I'm going to Maxtor to see
if their are any solutions there,
Thanks for the help.

=?Utf-8?B?SGVscGluZyBvdXQ=?=

RE: Converting my external USB FAT external hard drive to NFTS
you should have no problem going from fat to NTFS but i have never tried it
before, but i would not think there should be a proglem. as for the rest read
my post at the link below for where to go to format and partition things if
you like. i was able to format my 160gb usb drive using that. just right
click on the drive and format.

"ladymsvee" wrote:

> Hi:
> I just purchased a maxtor usb external hard drive, while the computer has
> recognized it, I cannot format it or convert it.
> When I try to convert it using the command prompt saying it cannot
> determine file system.
> When I try to format it does read it all.
> I am operating windows business vista, as this was purchased from e-bay the
> item was probably run under a earlier version of windows can that be the
> problem?, if so then I need to use the compatiablity wizard to operate it
> under an earlier version but how do I apply the wizard to hardware when I
> thought it can only be used for software?
> It is a FAT system and not a FAT32 system- should I convert to a Fat32
> system first and then NFTS? Or are they the same? I'm going to Maxtor to see
> if their are any solutions there,
> Thanks for the help.

=?Utf-8?B?SGVscGluZyBvdXQ=?=

RE: Converting my external USB FAT external hard drive to NFTS
heh i for got to post the link

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...g=en&cr=US&p=1