How to turn off Smart Card reader

Bruce Sanderson

How to turn off Smart Card reader
I have an Acer Travlemate C300 (converitble) that has a built in Smart Card
reader, but I don't have any smart cards to use with it.

I keep getting prompts and warnings about inserting a smart card or that the
smart card can not be read; usually, I have click OK or whatever to clear
the dialog box and get on with what I'm doing.

How does one convince Vista to just ignore the smart card reader so these
prompts and warnings will not appear?

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: How to turn off Smart Card reader
You could disable it in Device Manager, but they don't normally ask for
cards... In fact I don't think I've had either my desktop or the test
platform or my notebooks asking for them.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Bruce Sanderson" <bsanders@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
>I have an Acer Travlemate C300 (converitble) that has a built in Smart Card
>reader, but I don't have any smart cards to use with it.
>
> I keep getting prompts and warnings about inserting a smart card or that
> the smart card can not be read; usually, I have click OK or whatever to
> clear the dialog box and get on with what I'm doing.
>
> How does one convince Vista to just ignore the smart card reader so these
> prompts and warnings will not appear?
>
> --
> Bruce Sanderson MVP
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/
> It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.

BobS

Re: How to turn off Smart Card reader
How about turning off the Smart Card Service. Start > Search > Type
"services.msc" (without the quotes) scroll down to Smart Card Service and
double click to get to Properties then select Disable. I think those are
correct but I'm on a WinXP right now so I can't verify.

That should do it.

Bob S.

"Bruce Sanderson" <bsanders@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
>I have an Acer Travlemate C300 (converitble) that has a built in Smart Card
>reader, but I don't have any smart cards to use with it.
>
> I keep getting prompts and warnings about inserting a smart card or that
> the smart card can not be read; usually, I have click OK or whatever to
> clear the dialog box and get on with what I'm doing.
>
> How does one convince Vista to just ignore the smart card reader so these
> prompts and warnings will not appear?
>
> --
> Bruce Sanderson MVP
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/
> It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.

Bruce Sanderson

Re: How to turn off Smart Card reader
Thanks Cari!

It's not so much a question of "asking" so much as "complaining" that the
Smart Card is invalid.

I fixed the issue by disabling the Smart Card in Device Manager as you
suggested.