USB - Cannot Install Mouse - Please help!

Chase_AV

USB - Cannot Install Mouse - Please help!
Ok, I'm at a loss. I tried the SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1 from an
admin command prompt and opened device manager from there, did not work.

I had to re-install my motherboard, and since my USB ports aren't at teh
same place they were, my mouse is considered installed on one of those
missing ports. Now, when I plug my mouse in on any other port, when I get to
installing the driver, is says cannot create file because file already
exists. It's not in the PNPutil, and I can't delete it manually since it is
a "system" accound file.

I rely heavily on my non-standard buttons in all of my games, please help!
Spirit

Re: USB - Cannot Install Mouse - Please help!
I would start by deleting Mouse and ALL USB Hubs and Devices
in Device Manager and reboot which should re-initialize the devices
properly.

"Chase_AV" <Chase_AV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5B7F4386-ADE9-45D0-8FB4-C138D0515248@microsoft.com...
> Ok, I'm at a loss. I tried the SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1 from an
> admin command prompt and opened device manager from there, did not work.
>
> I had to re-install my motherboard, and since my USB ports aren't at teh
> same place they were, my mouse is considered installed on one of those
> missing ports. Now, when I plug my mouse in on any other port, when I get to
> installing the driver, is says cannot create file because file already
> exists. It's not in the PNPutil, and I can't delete it manually since it is
> a "system" accound file.
>
> I rely heavily on my non-standard buttons in all of my games, please help!

Chase_AV

Re: USB - Cannot Install Mouse - Please help!
I have done this to no avail.

"Spirit" wrote:

> I would start by deleting Mouse and ALL USB Hubs and Devices
> in Device Manager and reboot which should re-initialize the devices
> properly.

Cal Bear '66

Re: USB - Cannot Install Mouse - Please help!
This solution has worked for some people with problematic USB devices:

Locate the file INFCACHE.1 in C:\Windows\inf

Right click on the INFCACHE.1 file, select Properties >Security > Edit, and give
your account full control.

Delete INFCACHE.1, or rename it to INFCACHE.1.BAK or temporarily move to your
desktop.

REBOOT

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

>I have done this to no avail.
>
> "Spirit" wrote:
>
>> I would start by deleting Mouse and ALL USB Hubs and Devices
>> in Device Manager and reboot which should re-initialize the devices
>> properly.

Spirit

Re: USB - Cannot Install Mouse - Please help!
If Cal Bear's advice does not work try these :

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310575
General USB Troubleshooting in XP - Vista too
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/USBProblems.htm

USB & Firewire Problems

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/f...me=c00 820197

Troubleshooting USB Problems

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936003/en-us

Cumulative Update Rollup for Windows Vista