Hard Drive Spin Up/Down Constantly

=?Utf-8?B?Q3lwaG9u?=

Hard Drive Spin Up/Down Constantly
Since installing Vista Ultimate i have been experiencing annoying and
disturbing noises. I have found that my hard drive is regularily spinning up,
down and up at random intervals, i have seen no distinct pattern at all. But
i can distincly hear the drive spining, it also causes freezes on my computer.

The noises i recognise from XP whenever i shut my computer down (and only
when) There's like a click, a pop and some spinning. Other times i hear a
high pitched spinning noise getting higher and higher. I have also heard
another friend mention a similar noise comming from his computer.

The only thing i can possibly think of is Drive Ready (for hybrid drives) or
Drive Boost (for flash storage) causing this issue due to some
incompatibility?

Any help at all is greatly appreciated!
chas

Re: Hard Drive Spin Up/Down Constantly
Same here!

My HD hardly ever goes quiet under Vista. Task Manager does not show
what is causing it either.

I disabled the indexer service as I must do at least 2 searches every 6
months. Hard disk activity is considerably less now but still lots
greater than XP.

Someone forgot that hard disks are the devices that can have the most
impact on a computers performance. They are the only devices that have
not significantly improved over the last few years. Yes they have a much
larger capacity and are much more reliable now, but the speed has hardly
changed. So today's CPU's just sit there waiting for a disk to respond
because its being overloaded by all these silly background processes.
The PC seems to freeze.

My two main complaints with Indexer are:-

a. It starts as soon as you boot the system and that when you want your
PC to be as fast as possible. I even had services time-out waiting for
the disk to be available. (my PC index is 5.3)

b. It starts up as soon as you install some new software. At which
point most users want to be using that software and not waiting for the
stupid indexer to be able to search it.

The end impression from a user point of view is Vista is *much* slower
than XP.

There isn't a HD on the market that can fill the bandwidth of SATA1 so
don't be fooled into thinking you have a much faster PC if its got SATA2.

Even sadder - no one at Microsoft is going to read this or even care
because they thought the indexer was a really cool idea.

Cyphon wrote:
> Since installing Vista Ultimate i have been experiencing annoying and
> disturbing noises. I have found that my hard drive is regularily spinning up,
> down and up at random intervals, i have seen no distinct pattern at all. But
> i can distincly hear the drive spining, it also causes freezes on my computer.
>
> The noises i recognise from XP whenever i shut my computer down (and only
> when) There's like a click, a pop and some spinning. Other times i hear a
> high pitched spinning noise getting higher and higher. I have also heard
> another friend mention a similar noise comming from his computer.
>
> The only thing i can possibly think of is Drive Ready (for hybrid drives) or
> Drive Boost (for flash storage) causing this issue due to some
> incompatibility?
>
> Any help at all is greatly appreciated!

=?Utf-8?B?REJSQVNDTw==?=

Re: Hard Drive Spin Up/Down Constantly
I also have the random load click from the hard drives. That never happened
in XP unless you were doing a shut down or restart.

Brasco

"chas" wrote:

> Same here!
>
> My HD hardly ever goes quiet under Vista. Task Manager does not show
> what is causing it either.
>
> I disabled the indexer service as I must do at least 2 searches every 6
> months. Hard disk activity is considerably less now but still lots
> greater than XP.
>
> Someone forgot that hard disks are the devices that can have the most
> impact on a computers performance. They are the only devices that have
> not significantly improved over the last few years. Yes they have a much
> larger capacity and are much more reliable now, but the speed has hardly
> changed. So today's CPU's just sit there waiting for a disk to respond
> because its being overloaded by all these silly background processes.
> The PC seems to freeze.
>
> My two main complaints with Indexer are:-
>
> a. It starts as soon as you boot the system and that when you want your
> PC to be as fast as possible. I even had services time-out waiting for
> the disk to be available. (my PC index is 5.3)
>
> b. It starts up as soon as you install some new software. At which
> point most users want to be using that software and not waiting for the
> stupid indexer to be able to search it.
>
> The end impression from a user point of view is Vista is *much* slower
> than XP.
>
> There isn't a HD on the market that can fill the bandwidth of SATA1 so
> don't be fooled into thinking you have a much faster PC if its got SATA2.
>
> Even sadder - no one at Microsoft is going to read this or even care
> because they thought the indexer was a really cool idea.
>

> Cyphon wrote:
> > Since installing Vista Ultimate i have been experiencing annoying and
> > disturbing noises. I have found that my hard drive is regularily spinning up,
> > down and up at random intervals, i have seen no distinct pattern at all. But
> > i can distincly hear the drive spining, it also causes freezes on my computer.
> >
> > The noises i recognise from XP whenever i shut my computer down (and only
> > when) There's like a click, a pop and some spinning. Other times i hear a
> > high pitched spinning noise getting higher and higher. I have also heard
> > another friend mention a similar noise comming from his computer.
> >
> > The only thing i can possibly think of is Drive Ready (for hybrid drives) or
> > Drive Boost (for flash storage) causing this issue due to some
> > incompatibility?
> >
> > Any help at all is greatly appreciated!

=?Utf-8?B?Q3lwaG9u?=

Re: Hard Drive Spin Up/Down Constantly
Great points guys, sounds like we're having very similar issues. I just hope
there is someone that has had this happen to them and resolved it, as i too
doubt that microsoft will fix these bugs without a higher volume of users
experiencing the same thing.

"DBRASCO" wrote:

> I also have the random load click from the hard drives. That never happened
> in XP unless you were doing a shut down or restart.
>
> Brasco
>
> "chas" wrote:
>
> > Same here!
> >
> > My HD hardly ever goes quiet under Vista. Task Manager does not show
> > what is causing it either.
> >
> > I disabled the indexer service as I must do at least 2 searches every 6
> > months. Hard disk activity is considerably less now but still lots
> > greater than XP.
> >
> > Someone forgot that hard disks are the devices that can have the most
> > impact on a computers performance. They are the only devices that have
> > not significantly improved over the last few years. Yes they have a much
> > larger capacity and are much more reliable now, but the speed has hardly
> > changed. So today's CPU's just sit there waiting for a disk to respond
> > because its being overloaded by all these silly background processes.
> > The PC seems to freeze.
> >
> > My two main complaints with Indexer are:-
> >
> > a. It starts as soon as you boot the system and that when you want your
> > PC to be as fast as possible. I even had services time-out waiting for
> > the disk to be available. (my PC index is 5.3)
> >
> > b. It starts up as soon as you install some new software. At which
> > point most users want to be using that software and not waiting for the
> > stupid indexer to be able to search it.
> >
> > The end impression from a user point of view is Vista is *much* slower
> > than XP.
> >
> > There isn't a HD on the market that can fill the bandwidth of SATA1 so
> > don't be fooled into thinking you have a much faster PC if its got SATA2.
> >
> > Even sadder - no one at Microsoft is going to read this or even care
> > because they thought the indexer was a really cool idea.
> >

> > Cyphon wrote:
> > > Since installing Vista Ultimate i have been experiencing annoying and
> > > disturbing noises. I have found that my hard drive is regularily spinning up,
> > > down and up at random intervals, i have seen no distinct pattern at all. But
> > > i can distincly hear the drive spining, it also causes freezes on my computer.
> > >
> > > The noises i recognise from XP whenever i shut my computer down (and only
> > > when) There's like a click, a pop and some spinning. Other times i hear a
> > > high pitched spinning noise getting higher and higher. I have also heard
> > > another friend mention a similar noise comming from his computer.
> > >
> > > The only thing i can possibly think of is Drive Ready (for hybrid drives) or
> > > Drive Boost (for flash storage) causing this issue due to some
> > > incompatibility?
> > >
> > > Any help at all is greatly appreciated!

GreenWing

Re: Hard Drive Spin Up/Down Constantly
Have you customized your power plan options? control panel->Power Options

There is an option to turn off the hard drives after xx mins with no
activity...I have mine set to never...

Greenwing

"Cyphon" <Cyphon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since installing Vista Ultimate i have been experiencing annoying and
> disturbing noises. I have found that my hard drive is regularily spinning
> up,
> down and up at random intervals, i have seen no distinct pattern at all.
> But
> i can distincly hear the drive spining, it also causes freezes on my
> computer.
>
> The noises i recognise from XP whenever i shut my computer down (and only
> when) There's like a click, a pop and some spinning. Other times i hear a
> high pitched spinning noise getting higher and higher. I have also heard
> another friend mention a similar noise comming from his computer.
>
> The only thing i can possibly think of is Drive Ready (for hybrid drives)
> or
> Drive Boost (for flash storage) causing this issue due to some
> incompatibility?
>
> Any help at all is greatly appreciated!

=?Utf-8?B?Q3lwaG9u?=

Re: Hard Drive Spin Up/Down Constantly
That was a good idea, but unfortunately i also have mine set to never.

"GreenWing" wrote:

> Have you customized your power plan options? control panel->Power Options
>
> There is an option to turn off the hard drives after xx mins with no
> activity...I have mine set to never...
>
> Greenwing
>

> "Cyphon" <Cyphon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Since installing Vista Ultimate i have been experiencing annoying and
> > disturbing noises. I have found that my hard drive is regularily spinning
> > up,
> > down and up at random intervals, i have seen no distinct pattern at all.
> > But
> > i can distincly hear the drive spining, it also causes freezes on my
> > computer.
> >
> > The noises i recognise from XP whenever i shut my computer down (and only
> > when) There's like a click, a pop and some spinning. Other times i hear a
> > high pitched spinning noise getting higher and higher. I have also heard
> > another friend mention a similar noise comming from his computer.
> >
> > The only thing i can possibly think of is Drive Ready (for hybrid drives)
> > or
> > Drive Boost (for flash storage) causing this issue due to some
> > incompatibility?
> >
> > Any help at all is greatly appreciated!

=?Utf-8?B?U25la2tP?=

Re: Hard Drive Spin Up/Down Constantly
I have the same problem, I now have return to XP as it's too disturbing 2
listen 2 my Hdds power down & u again. I have Western Digital Hdds, I have
discovered that the problem is a chipset related problem cause when I install
XP and leave the chipset drivers out I get the same problem. I dont know how
2 fix it tho & am still looking
RosesRRed

Re: Hard Drive Spin Up/Down Constantly
Well I have had the same trouble with mine. "it sucks" I thank its cause of
the Super Fetch. Loading all the pages & the hard drive can't take it. At
times its so loud, noise & locks up on me also. I am getting soooo many
errors in my Event Viewer. I am running vista home premium was pre loaded on
a Gateway GT5408 from Best Buy & they don't care about what's going on &
won't help. Will never buy from them again! So I called Gateway they told me
to back up all my files asap & will ship me a box to mail it back to replace
my hard drive,....cause its going bad. Why Microsoft do you put out your beta
software for customers to find what works & what don't! So now I'll be out of
a computer for 4 weeks & who even knows if it will work next time!
To much money for all the trouble! Should have stayed with W/XP

"SnekkO" wrote:

> I have the same problem, I now have return to XP as it's too disturbing 2
> listen 2 my Hdds power down & u again. I have Western Digital Hdds, I have
> discovered that the problem is a chipset related problem cause when I install
> XP and leave the chipset drivers out I get the same problem. I dont know how
> 2 fix it tho & am still looking

Richard Urban

Re: Hard Drive Spin Up/Down Constantly
Well. Here we have a case of someone having the same problem as someone else
having the same problem - yet the original problem is not stated.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"Roses"R"Red" <RosesRRed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well I have had the same trouble with mine. "it sucks" I thank its cause
> of
> the Super Fetch. Loading all the pages & the hard drive can't take it. At
> times its so loud, noise & locks up on me also. I am getting soooo many
> errors in my Event Viewer. I am running vista home premium was pre loaded
> on
> a Gateway GT5408 from Best Buy & they don't care about what's going on &
> won't help. Will never buy from them again! So I called Gateway they told
> me
> to back up all my files asap & will ship me a box to mail it back to
> replace
> my hard drive,....cause its going bad. Why Microsoft do you put out your
> beta
> software for customers to find what works & what don't! So now I'll be out
> of
> a computer for 4 weeks & who even knows if it will work next time!
> To much money for all the trouble! Should have stayed with W/XP
>
> "SnekkO" wrote:
>
>> I have the same problem, I now have return to XP as it's too disturbing 2
>> listen 2 my Hdds power down & u again. I have Western Digital Hdds, I
>> have
>> discovered that the problem is a chipset related problem cause when I
>> install
>> XP and leave the chipset drivers out I get the same problem. I dont know
>> how
>> 2 fix it tho & am still looking

RosesRRed

Re: Hard Drive Spin Up/Down Constantly
Well,....what does that tell ya about vista! That its causing a lot of
problems for everyone. When will they be comming out with a fix? Or a service
pack
I don't understand why you say "original problem is not stated" Have you
not read the threads? What do you need to know? I'll send you what ever you
need to help me & the others & MICROSOFT so they can use the info for a fix.
I am just at my end here. I just won't my computer to work,..... so I
can.....I have lots to do. I know nothing is ever 100% not even with XP but
it does do much better then vista. I will hand it to microsoft when it come's
to the lay out of vista. "I like it" When looking at files how they move for
you is awesome. You don't even use the slider.

My Boot preformance, standby, system preformance, drivers & more are all at
a very unhealthy state. I have lock ups & slow start up. The hard drive is
makig a loud noise grinds & pops. It comes & goes. Sometimes I thank it's
going to blow up. And I am not kidding. I keep getting errors for super fetch
& much more. I am sure their is a work around or something. But anyway if you
can help me please let me know what you need to see & know from my computer.
I send it to ya! via email.
Thanks