windows explorer stopped working when trying to open control panel

Chris

windows explorer stopped working when trying to open control panel
I tried to enter control panel from start, but then this error message pops
out and says windows explorer has stopped working and will be restarted.
Then when windows explorer has restarted, the "Problem Reports and Solutions"
window pops out and says that this problem was caused by the compability
issue between Windows Vista and my version of REALTEK HD AUDIO SOUND EFFECT
MANAGER. It suggests me to go to Realtek's website and download a version
that's compatible with Vista. I downloaded one that says is compable with
Vista but the problem's still there after I installed it and restarted. What
should I do???
Cal Bear '66

Re: windows explorer stopped working when trying to open control panel
If I were you, I would completely uninstall and re-install the Realtek HD audio
driver.

1. Download the latest version (1.73) from here:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...Audio%20Codecs

2. Right click on the downloaded file, select Properties and press the Unblock
button, APPLY and OK.

3. Go to Control Panel (Classic view) > Device Manager > expand Sound, video and
game controllers, right click on the Realtek entry and select uninstall, also
*****check the box to delete the driver files*****

4. Go to Control Panel (Classic view) > Programs and Features, highlight Realtek
Audio Drivers, and press the Uninstall button, or right click the Realtek entry
and select Uninstall. (Windows will reinstall generic HD audio drivers)

5. R E B O O T

6. Double click the downloaded new Realtek drivers and install

7. R E B O O T

8. Setup your audio in Control Panel (Classic view) > Sound (right click in both
Recording and Playback windows and select both "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show
Disconnected Devices", and right click on the RED speaker icon in the
Notification Area of the Taskbar, select Sound Manager and set up the Realtek
audio device.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

>I tried to enter control panel from start, but then this error message pops
> out and says windows explorer has stopped working and will be restarted.
> Then when windows explorer has restarted, the "Problem Reports and Solutions"
> window pops out and says that this problem was caused by the compability
> issue between Windows Vista and my version of REALTEK HD AUDIO SOUND EFFECT
> MANAGER. It suggests me to go to Realtek's website and download a version
> that's compatible with Vista. I downloaded one that says is compable with
> Vista but the problem's still there after I installed it and restarted. What
> should I do???

Chris

Re: windows explorer stopped working when trying to open control p
thanks for your answer, but the problem is now somehow resolved.