problems with new hard drive

=?Utf-8?B?bHVrZV9kYV9wYWludGVy?=

problems with new hard drive
I just bought a acer aspire 380 with vista premium installed on it. I bought
a western digital 250 hard drive sata to up my hd space. I used computer
management to partition but could only format the hard drive as a quick
format, in full format it would stop at about 9%. When I went to transfer
data to the hard drive it would transfer like 3 gigs and quit with this
error: an unexpected error is preventing the operation. make note of this
error code, which might be useful if you get additional help to resolve this
problem: Error 0x8007045D: The request could not be performed because of an
I/O device error. I then used the command prompt on the install disk to full
format and it worked fine. Thought that it would solve my problem, but I was
mistaken. The same error comes up, but if I restart you can write about 3
gigs again on top of whats on the drive and it freezes up again. Its really
frustrating me that i can't use my new hard drive. Please Help! checked to
make sure its cables are installed correctly also
Richard Urban

Re: problems with new hard drive
New drives CAN be defective. Have you checked the drive with the
manufacturers drive check utility?

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"luke_da_painter" <luke_da_painter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:1E920DE6-63E1-45D7-8145-E2B9C333B829@microsoft.com...
>I just bought a acer aspire 380 with vista premium installed on it. I
>bought
> a western digital 250 hard drive sata to up my hd space. I used computer
> management to partition but could only format the hard drive as a quick
> format, in full format it would stop at about 9%. When I went to transfer
> data to the hard drive it would transfer like 3 gigs and quit with this
> error: an unexpected error is preventing the operation. make note of this
> error code, which might be useful if you get additional help to resolve
> this
> problem: Error 0x8007045D: The request could not be performed because of
> an
> I/O device error. I then used the command prompt on the install disk to
> full
> format and it worked fine. Thought that it would solve my problem, but I
> was
> mistaken. The same error comes up, but if I restart you can write about 3
> gigs again on top of whats on the drive and it freezes up again. Its
> really
> frustrating me that i can't use my new hard drive. Please Help! checked
> make sure its cables are installed correctly also

=?Utf-8?B?bHVrZV9kYV9wYWludGVy?=

Re: problems with new hard drive
Please do explain more
"Richard Urban" wrote:

> New drives CAN be defective. Have you checked the drive with the
> manufacturers drive check utility?
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>

> "luke_da_painter" <luke_da_painter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:1E920DE6-63E1-45D7-8145-E2B9C333B829@microsoft.com...
> >I just bought a acer aspire 380 with vista premium installed on it. I
> >bought
> > a western digital 250 hard drive sata to up my hd space. I used computer
> > management to partition but could only format the hard drive as a quick
> > format, in full format it would stop at about 9%. When I went to transfer
> > data to the hard drive it would transfer like 3 gigs and quit with this
> > error: an unexpected error is preventing the operation. make note of this
> > error code, which might be useful if you get additional help to resolve
> > this
> > problem: Error 0x8007045D: The request could not be performed because of
> > an
> > I/O device error. I then used the command prompt on the install disk to
> > full
> > format and it worked fine. Thought that it would solve my problem, but I
> > was
> > mistaken. The same error comes up, but if I restart you can write about 3
> > gigs again on top of whats on the drive and it freezes up again. Its
> > really
> > frustrating me that i can't use my new hard drive. Please Help! checked
> > make sure its cables are installed correctly also

Richard Urban

Re: problems with new hard drive
You bought retail? Didn't the package contain a CD?

What brand drive is it. Every major manufacturer of hard drives has a drive
test utility that they supply with their drives. Read the instructions that
came with the drive. Look for the disk. Lacking the disk, go to their web
site and look in the support area for downloads.

I know for a fact that Western Digital has such a utility they supply.
--

> Please do explain more
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> New drives CAN be defective. Have you checked the drive with the
>> manufacturers drive check utility?
>>
>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from George Ankner:
>>

>> "luke_da_painter" <luke_da_painter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:1E920DE6-63E1-45D7-8145-E2B9C333B829@microsoft.com...
>> >I just bought a acer aspire 380 with vista premium installed on it. I
>> >bought
>> > a western digital 250 hard drive sata to up my hd space. I used
>> > computer
>> > management to partition but could only format the hard drive as a quick
>> > format, in full format it would stop at about 9%. When I went to
>> > transfer
>> > data to the hard drive it would transfer like 3 gigs and quit with this
>> > error: an unexpected error is preventing the operation. make note of
>> > this
>> > error code, which might be useful if you get additional help to resolve
>> > this
>> > problem: Error 0x8007045D: The request could not be performed because
>> > of
>> > an
>> > I/O device error. I then used the command prompt on the install disk
>> > full
>> > format and it worked fine. Thought that it would solve my problem, but
>> > was
>> > mistaken. The same error comes up, but if I restart you can write
>> > about 3
>> > gigs again on top of whats on the drive and it freezes up again. Its
>> > really
>> > frustrating me that i can't use my new hard drive. Please Help!
>> > checked
>> > make sure its cables are installed correctly also

Ahmed

Re: problems with new hard drive
I had the same problem with a WD3200KS...freezing randomly and while copying
from harddrives to the new ones, replaced it and it works good.

> You bought retail? Didn't the package contain a CD?
>
> What brand drive is it. Every major manufacturer of hard drives has a
> drive test utility that they supply with their drives. Read the
> instructions that came with the drive. Look for the disk. Lacking the
> disk, go to their web site and look in the support area for downloads.
>
> I know for a fact that Western Digital has such a utility they supply.
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>

> "luke_da_painter" <lukedapainter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:CC6C6063-565A-4010-AB3D-956C9095EB70@microsoft.com...
>> Please do explain more
>> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>>
>>> New drives CAN be defective. Have you checked the drive with the
>>> manufacturers drive check utility?
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard Urban
>>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>> (For email, remove the obvious from my address)
>>>
>>> Quote from George Ankner:
>>> If you knew as much as you think you know,
>>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>>>

>>> "luke_da_painter" <luke_da_painter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message news:1E920DE6-63E1-45D7-8145-E2B9C333B829@microsoft.com...

=?Utf-8?B?bHVrZV9kYV9wYWludGVy?=

Re: problems with new hard drive
I ran the wd data life guard tools (dos cd) then ran the wd diagnostics (dos
cd) everything passed (quick test, extended test, write zeros) but I still
got the same error I decided to use the wd diagnostics (win) and it failed.
So I ran it again and it failed (extended test). But it passed in the wd
diagnostics on the dos cd again. still a little confused if it a hardware
problem or a windows problem

I would call WD at this point.

--

news40442B4-465B-4311-AA6C-D541E20357E7@microsoft.com...
>I ran the wd data life guard tools (dos cd) then ran the wd diagnostics
>(dos
> cd) everything passed (quick test, extended test, write zeros) but I still
> got the same error I decided to use the wd diagnostics (win) and it
> failed.
> So I ran it again and it failed (extended test). But it passed in the wd
> diagnostics on the dos cd again. still a little confused if it a hardware
> problem or a windows problem
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> You bought retail? Didn't the package contain a CD?
>>
>> What brand drive is it. Every major manufacturer of hard drives has a
>> drive
>> test utility that they supply with their drives. Read the instructions
>> that
>> came with the drive. Look for the disk. Lacking the disk, go to their web
>> site and look in the support area for downloads.
>>
>> I know for a fact that Western Digital has such a utility they supply.
>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from George Ankner:
>>

>> "luke_da_painter" <lukedapainter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > Please do explain more

=?Utf-8?B?UW9oZWxldGg=?=

Re: problems with new hard drive
I have been havine almost the identical problem. I sent the drive back to WD
(320 sata) and got a new one w/ the same problem (I have 2 320 SATA in
machine and only get the error when I try to copy to both the C & D drive at
teh same time - the D Drive is the one that craps out and gives the error -
the C drive continues to copy - I was copying files over the network from my
old machine to my new Vista 64 machine)

WD said they had no record of it and it was either Vista or a BIOS tweak.

I have swapped drives, cables, RAM and still have the issue.

This is very frustrating.