Vista changed my floppy drive to drive "B"

=?Utf-8?B?R2Vvcmdl?=

Vista changed my floppy drive to drive "B"
i have been using Vista Ultimate for quite some time it seems now and
suddenly last week I noticed that my floppy drive is now named drive "B". I
have checked in my BIOS and that appears to be correct and I can't figure out
how to get it back to being drive "A". I know there is little use for them
these days but I tried to create a floppy for Seatools to run a diagnostic on
one of my Seagate drives and I am told that I don't have a floppy drive. I am
sorry but I can't seem to figure out how to change this drive back to being
drive "A".
David A. Lessnau

Re: Vista changed my floppy drive to drive "B"
I don't even have a floppy, so I have no idea if this works. But, have you
tried Computer Management | Disk Management, right-clicking on the floppy (I
assume it shows up there) and telling it to Change Drive Letter and Paths?
Does it give you the option for A:?

"George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have been using Vista Ultimate for quite some time it seems now and
> suddenly last week I noticed that my floppy drive is now named drive "B".
> have checked in my BIOS and that appears to be correct and I can't figure
> out
> how to get it back to being drive "A". I know there is little use for them
> these days but I tried to create a floppy for Seatools to run a diagnostic
> on
> one of my Seagate drives and I am told that I don't have a floppy drive. I
> am
> sorry but I can't seem to figure out how to change this drive back to
> being
> drive "A".

Dan

Re: Vista changed my floppy drive to drive "B"
I had the same problem. To rectify it I simply went to the Device Manager
and uninstalled both the Floppy disk drive and the Floppy drive controller.
Once you have done that just scan for hardware changes.
Your floppy should now be A drive.

--
"George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have been using Vista Ultimate for quite some time it seems now and
> suddenly last week I noticed that my floppy drive is now named drive "B".
> have checked in my BIOS and that appears to be correct and I can't figure
> out
> how to get it back to being drive "A". I know there is little use for them
> these days but I tried to create a floppy for Seatools to run a diagnostic
> on
> one of my Seagate drives and I am told that I don't have a floppy drive. I
> am
> sorry but I can't seem to figure out how to change this drive back to
> being
> drive "A".

=?Utf-8?B?R2Vvcmdl?=

Re: Vista changed my floppy drive to drive "B"
Thanks for your help. I thought about trying that but am always just a little
afraid of uninstalling items. I will give it a try and see if that solves my
problem.

"Dan" wrote:

> I had the same problem. To rectify it I simply went to the Device Manager
> and uninstalled both the Floppy disk drive and the Floppy drive controller.
> Once you have done that just scan for hardware changes.
> Your floppy should now be A drive.
>
> --
> "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i have been using Vista Ultimate for quite some time it seems now and
> > suddenly last week I noticed that my floppy drive is now named drive "B".
> > have checked in my BIOS and that appears to be correct and I can't figure
> > out
> > how to get it back to being drive "A". I know there is little use for them
> > these days but I tried to create a floppy for Seatools to run a diagnostic
> > on
> > one of my Seagate drives and I am told that I don't have a floppy drive. I
> > am
> > sorry but I can't seem to figure out how to change this drive back to
> > being
> > drive "A".

=?Utf-8?B?R2Vvcmdl?=

Re: Vista changed my floppy drive to drive "B"
The floppy does not show up in the Disk Management Console. I wish it were
only so simple. That was the first thing that I tried.
I know floppies are archaic and aren't used often but sometimes they do
still serve a purpose, just not a very big one anymore.
Thanks!

"David A. Lessnau" wrote:

> I don't even have a floppy, so I have no idea if this works. But, have you
> tried Computer Management | Disk Management, right-clicking on the floppy (I
> assume it shows up there) and telling it to Change Drive Letter and Paths?
> Does it give you the option for A:?
>

> "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i have been using Vista Ultimate for quite some time it seems now and
> > suddenly last week I noticed that my floppy drive is now named drive "B".
> > have checked in my BIOS and that appears to be correct and I can't figure
> > out
> > how to get it back to being drive "A". I know there is little use for them
> > these days but I tried to create a floppy for Seatools to run a diagnostic
> > on
> > one of my Seagate drives and I am told that I don't have a floppy drive. I
> > am
> > sorry but I can't seem to figure out how to change this drive back to
> > being
> > drive "A".

AndersT

Re: Vista changed my floppy drive to drive "B"
Aha, thanks for the tip. It worked for me.