Gameports

John Chapman

Gameports
Hello,

I see in many posts that the Gameport/MIDI port is not supported by Vista.
Has anyone found away around it yet? The reason I ask is because even
though Microsoft hasn't made it available, someone probably will eventually.

Thanks

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Gameports
Well someone may, but I bet it won't be any of the major companies. Why
would they spend the $s on writing drivers for an outdated piece of
hardware.

What is it that you wish to attach to the gameport on your PC? Gameports
haven't even been included on motherboards or soundcards for the last 7
years or so. Almost everyone switched to USB gaming controllers because of
their speed, with the faster processors, the data totally bottlenecks at the
gameport, ruining the game. The poor little thing just wasn't made for
processors of 1Ghz and more.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"John Chapman" <chapman85@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I see in many posts that the Gameport/MIDI port is not supported by Vista.
> Has anyone found away around it yet? The reason I ask is because even
> though Microsoft hasn't made it available, someone probably will
> eventually.
>
> Thanks

John Chapman

Re: Gameports
Well, I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 that has a game port. I do still have
a gamepad that I use and love. But also, I hate having a device sit there
that just says "Unknown Device," its bad practice on the part of systems
builders.

Now on my Audigy card the game port uses a separate slot and has a cable
that runs to the sound card. If there was a way to disable it from the
sound card, so that it doesn't appear as a device to windows, it would be
good on the system builders stand point.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" <NewsGroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
> Well someone may, but I bet it won't be any of the major companies. Why
> would they spend the $s on writing drivers for an outdated piece of
> hardware.
>
> What is it that you wish to attach to the gameport on your PC? Gameports
> haven't even been included on motherboards or soundcards for the last 7
> years or so. Almost everyone switched to USB gaming controllers because
> of their speed, with the faster processors, the data totally bottlenecks
> at the gameport, ruining the game. The poor little thing just wasn't made
> for processors of 1Ghz and more.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "John Chapman" <chapman85@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I see in many posts that the Gameport/MIDI port is not supported by
>> Vista. Has anyone found away around it yet? The reason I ask is because
>> even though Microsoft hasn't made it available, someone probably will
>> eventually.
>>
>> Thanks

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Gameports
You can, just do not connect the cable, and when you install the drivers,
chose the custom option and uncheck the gameport one. If Windows cannot
find a device (ie the gameport and cable) it shouldn't ask. My Audigy 2 ZS
also came with them, but I never connected the two or installed the
gameport... so I never got asked by the O/S.
--

> Well, I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 that has a game port. I do still
> have a gamepad that I use and love. But also, I hate having a device sit
> there that just says "Unknown Device," its bad practice on the part of
> systems builders.
>
> Now on my Audigy card the game port uses a separate slot and has a cable
> that runs to the sound card. If there was a way to disable it from the
> sound card, so that it doesn't appear as a device to windows, it would be
> good on the system builders stand point.
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <NewsGroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
>> Well someone may, but I bet it won't be any of the major companies. Why
>> would they spend the $s on writing drivers for an outdated piece of
>> hardware.
>>
>> What is it that you wish to attach to the gameport on your PC? Gameports
>> haven't even been included on motherboards or soundcards for the last 7
>> years or so. Almost everyone switched to USB gaming controllers because
>> of their speed, with the faster processors, the data totally bottlenecks
>> at the gameport, ruining the game. The poor little thing just wasn't
>> made for processors of 1Ghz and more.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>>
>> "John Chapman" <chapman85@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I see in many posts that the Gameport/MIDI port is not supported by
>>> Vista. Has anyone found away around it yet? The reason I ask is because
>>> even though Microsoft hasn't made it available, someone probably will
>>> eventually.
>>>
>>> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?V2hpcGxhc2hJbmZvLnNl?=

Re: Gameports
Well Cari, I have never hade the Creative Game Port installed nor adapted to
my Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro, but still Vista keep pretend I have,
giving yellow flag in the device manager that the drive doesn't function.

Regards / Tomas

--
WhiplashInfo.se helps injured and server ill persons (non profit).

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> You can, just do not connect the cable, and when you install the drivers,
> chose the custom option and uncheck the gameport one. If Windows cannot
> find a device (ie the gameport and cable) it shouldn't ask. My Audigy 2 ZS
> also came with them, but I never connected the two or installed the
> gameport... so I never got asked by the O/S.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "John Chapman" <chapman85@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Well, I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 that has a game port. I do still
> > have a gamepad that I use and love. But also, I hate having a device sit
> > there that just says "Unknown Device," its bad practice on the part of
> > systems builders.
> >
> > Now on my Audigy card the game port uses a separate slot and has a cable
> > that runs to the sound card. If there was a way to disable it from the
> > sound card, so that it doesn't appear as a device to windows, it would be
> > good on the system builders stand point.
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" <NewsGroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
> >> Well someone may, but I bet it won't be any of the major companies. Why
> >> would they spend the $s on writing drivers for an outdated piece of
> >> hardware.
> >>
> >> What is it that you wish to attach to the gameport on your PC? Gameports
> >> haven't even been included on motherboards or soundcards for the last 7
> >> years or so. Almost everyone switched to USB gaming controllers because
> >> of their speed, with the faster processors, the data totally bottlenecks
> >> at the gameport, ruining the game. The poor little thing just wasn't
> >> made for processors of 1Ghz and more.
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
> >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
> >> http://www.coribright.com/windows

Phill

Re: Gameports
"WhiplashInfo.se" <WhiplashInfose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:3D9F7E10-4D6C-4AAC-9AC0-5C75CF9156FB@microsoft.com...
> Well Cari, I have never hade the Creative Game Port installed nor adapted
> my Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro, but still Vista keep pretend I have,
> giving yellow flag in the device manager that the drive doesn't function.
>
> Regards / Tomas
>
> --
> WhiplashInfo.se helps injured and server ill persons (non profit).
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> You can, just do not connect the cable, and when you install the drivers,
>> chose the custom option and uncheck the gameport one. If Windows cannot
>> find a device (ie the gameport and cable) it shouldn't ask. My Audigy 2
>> ZS
>> also came with them, but I never connected the two or installed the
>> gameport... so I never got asked by the O/S.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>>
>> "John Chapman" <chapman85@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Well, I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 that has a game port. I do still
>> > have a gamepad that I use and love. But also, I hate having a device
>> > sit
>> > there that just says "Unknown Device," its bad practice on the part of
>> > systems builders.
>> >
>> > Now on my Audigy card the game port uses a separate slot and has a
>> > cable
>> > that runs to the sound card. If there was a way to disable it from the
>> > sound card, so that it doesn't appear as a device to windows, it would
>> > be
>> > good on the system builders stand point.
>> >
>> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" <NewsGroups@coribright.com> wrote in message

I have no idea if Creative will support their gameports in the next driver
release but if you want to get rid of the annoying exclamation mark in the
mean time just do the following:

Right click "My Computer"
Click "Manage"
Click on "Device Manager"
Right click on "Unknown Device" and click "Update Driver Software"
Click Browse "My Computer"....
Click Let me pick from.......
Uncheck "Show compatible hardware"
Under Manufacture, click on Creative Technology Ltd
You will then see "Unsupported Game port for Creative"
Click on this then click next......

Hope it helps,

Phill

=?Utf-8?B?V2hpcGxhc2hJbmZvLnNl?=