TV tuner for my Gateway MX8711

=?Utf-8?B?aWN5dW52bHVja2llbWU=?=

TV tuner for my Gateway MX8711
I just purchased a brand new laptop and I am clueless as to how a tv tuner
works. I have a couple of probably goofy questions. With the tuner will I be
able to watch tv wherever I wish? I am interested in watching tv in the
evening between classes at school? Next is there a certain type of tuner I
should purchase? Will I need just the card that goes into the slot on the
side of my computer? I think my computer is already configured for it because
when I go to media center it says I have no tuner. About how much should a
tuner cost me? Is installing pretty simple like just a plug and play feature?
Thanks to my responders in advance.
Cal Bear '66

Re: TV tuner for my Gateway MX8711
There are several USB TV tuners (including the Pinnacle Systems, a division
of Avid, HD/NTSC capable tuner -- About $100.00 dollars on sale, with Vista
drivers promised soon).

However, you would need something to plug into the tuner, such as an antenna
or a cable connection.

"icyunvluckieme" <icyunvluckieme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just purchased a brand new laptop and I am clueless as to how a tv tuner
> works. I have a couple of probably goofy questions. With the tuner will I
> be
> able to watch tv wherever I wish? I am interested in watching tv in the
> evening between classes at school? Next is there a certain type of tuner I
> should purchase? Will I need just the card that goes into the slot on the
> side of my computer? I think my computer is already configured for it
> because
> when I go to media center it says I have no tuner. About how much should a
> tuner cost me? Is installing pretty simple like just a plug and play
> feature?
> Thanks to my responders in advance.

JW

Re: TV tuner for my Gateway MX8711
Not all tuners that will work on Vista with their own TV program application
also work with the Media Center Application on Vista. So if you want to take
advantage of the Guide and PVR capabilities in Media Center make sure you
get a MC compatible tuner.
"Cal Bear '66" <dcrx1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> There are several USB TV tuners (including the Pinnacle Systems, a
> division of Avid, HD/NTSC capable tuner -- About $100.00 dollars on sale,
> with Vista drivers promised soon).
>
> However, you would need something to plug into the tuner, such as an
> antenna or a cable connection.
>
> "icyunvluckieme" <icyunvluckieme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:432E37E6-A8C3-4BC2-9878-2D7B24E46291@microsoft.com...
>>I just purchased a brand new laptop and I am clueless as to how a tv tuner
>> works. I have a couple of probably goofy questions. With the tuner will I
>> be
>> able to watch tv wherever I wish? I am interested in watching tv in the
>> evening between classes at school? Next is there a certain type of tuner
>> should purchase? Will I need just the card that goes into the slot on the
>> side of my computer? I think my computer is already configured for it
>> because
>> when I go to media center it says I have no tuner. About how much should
>> tuner cost me? Is installing pretty simple like just a plug and play
>> feature?
>> Thanks to my responders in advance.

Rob

TV tuner for my Gateway MX8711
I just purchased the exact same laptop and yesterday I purchased a TV Tuner on eBay. You can get a decent PCMCIA tuner (fits in the slot on the side of your computer) for about $40 on eBay or about $60 to $100 if you buy at a local electronics store. You will need an antenna if you want to watch local programming between classes. Some tuner packages come with an antenna. Also, you can plug cable right into it and that will work, too.

Most TV Tuners are plug-and-play...or you may have to install special drivers that come with it.

Hope this helps.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com