hard drive free space

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lcGlsYXR1cw==?=

hard drive free space
Every time I logon my Hard Drive free space says something different...For
examples sometimes says 73.3GB free space and somentimes says 68.6GB. I use
disk clean up every time I logoff Windows Vista...somebody can explain me why
this occur?..Like i said this is happen since i got Windows Vista Ultimate!!
JimR

Re: hard drive free space
"Joepilatus" <Joepilatus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Every time I logon my Hard Drive free space says something different...For
> examples sometimes says 73.3GB free space and somentimes says 68.6GB. I
> use
> disk clean up every time I logoff Windows Vista...somebody can explain me
> why
> this occur?..Like i said this is happen since i got Windows Vista
> Ultimate!!

This can be caused by new system restore points being created,changes in the
size of the page file if it is system managed,changes in the size of the
hiberfil.sys file which is used for hibernation.

--
Jim

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgTg==?=

RE: hard drive free space
I also have this same issue. I had 25.1 GB of free space, and 2 hours later I
was down to 21.4 GB. It still increases, and decreases from time to time, but
not as dramatic as the initial 3.7 GBs or so. I am glad to know that I am not
the only one with this small problem.

"Joepilatus" wrote:

> Every time I logon my Hard Drive free space says something different...For
> examples sometimes says 73.3GB free space and somentimes says 68.6GB. I use
> disk clean up every time I logoff Windows Vista...somebody can explain me why
> this occur?..Like i said this is happen since i got Windows Vista Ultimate!!

HDFatBoy2003

Re: hard drive free space
System restore is using the space. System Restore will also automatically
delete old restore points (data) as it begins to fill the allotted space
it's allowed to consume. Since restore points can be created through out
the day (install new driver - create restore point, install a Windows
Update - create restore point) the space available will also fluctuate.

"David N" <DavidN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I also have this same issue. I had 25.1 GB of free space, and 2 hours later
> was down to 21.4 GB. It still increases, and decreases from time to time,
> but
> not as dramatic as the initial 3.7 GBs or so. I am glad to know that I am
> not
> the only one with this small problem.
>
> "Joepilatus" wrote:
>
>> Every time I logon my Hard Drive free space says something
>> different...For
>> examples sometimes says 73.3GB free space and somentimes says 68.6GB. I
>> use
>> disk clean up every time I logoff Windows Vista...somebody can explain me
>> why
>> this occur?..Like i said this is happen since i got Windows Vista
>> Ultimate!!

=?Utf-8?B?aGVyY3VsZXM=?=

Re: hard drive free space
Hi to all and hopefully someone has the answer.I understand 3 or 5 gb loss
but my new i60gb hdd I used to install vista hp showed 125gb in 3 days.I
reinstalled windows but nothing I lose 1gb at each boot.If that's not an
upgrade than what is?lol.Do you know of a solution?Newbie here .THanks in
advance

"HDFatBoy2003" wrote:

> System restore is using the space. System Restore will also automatically
> delete old restore points (data) as it begins to fill the allotted space
> it's allowed to consume. Since restore points can be created through out
> the day (install new driver - create restore point, install a Windows
> Update - create restore point) the space available will also fluctuate.
>
> "David N" <DavidN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I also have this same issue. I had 25.1 GB of free space, and 2 hours later
> > was down to 21.4 GB. It still increases, and decreases from time to time,
> > but
> > not as dramatic as the initial 3.7 GBs or so. I am glad to know that I am
> > not
> > the only one with this small problem.
> >
> > "Joepilatus" wrote:
> >
> >> Every time I logon my Hard Drive free space says something
> >> different...For
> >> examples sometimes says 73.3GB free space and somentimes says 68.6GB. I
> >> use
> >> disk clean up every time I logoff Windows Vista...somebody can explain me
> >> why
> >> this occur?..Like i said this is happen since i got Windows Vista
> >> Ultimate!!

=?Utf-8?B?SmV0IEtuaWZl?=

Re: hard drive free space
This is weird and had been happening to me a bit as well...

"My hard drive has a capacity of 105 GB, (though it was supposed to have 120
GB...it always ends up like that when formatted) and has about 10 GB free.
(This is shown by looking at the status of the Drive in the drive's
properties window.) Therefore, there should be about 95 GB used in the
system. However, I opened the hard drive folder and added up the sizes of
all the folders there (Program Files, Windows, Users, etc.) and it came up
with only about 88 GB used. Therefore, it should come up as about 17 GB
free...what is accounting for this 7 GB discrepancy. I could imagine some
miscalculation errors accounting for a small amount of difference, but 7
Gigabytes is a bit too much...what's going on?"