DVD drive not working

=?Utf-8?B?RGFuIC0gUXVlZW5zcGFyaw==?=

DVD drive not working
Under Device Manager my LG DVD/RW appears to be working OK. However whenever
I load a CD or DVD my drive does pick it up. For instance, when I open My
Computer I can see the drive display a CD-ROM icon. Unfortunately this icon
doesn't change when I load a CD or DVD. Any hints here will be mightily
appreciated?
=?Utf-8?B?R2F6IC0gV2lycmFs?=

RE: DVD drive not working
I have the same problem.
After installing ultimate edition, neither my Sony DVD-Rom DDU1613 or
Pioneer DVD-RW 109 drive can read ANY disc ( a software,dvd or audio disc).
In My computer it can be seen to be loaded, but if you try to access or run
it you get a message saying that no disc in the drive.
All drivers are up to date, also vista update advisor does not identify any
issues.
Other programs are in conflict, but i need to run the original software disc
to proceed... BUT I CAN'T.
Microsoft need to solve this quickly.
Can anyone help???

"Dan - Queenspark" wrote:

> Under Device Manager my LG DVD/RW appears to be working OK. However whenever
> I load a CD or DVD my drive does pick it up. For instance, when I open My
> Computer I can see the drive display a CD-ROM icon. Unfortunately this icon
> doesn't change when I load a CD or DVD. Any hints here will be mightily
> appreciated?

=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZk8=?=

RE: DVD drive not working
I too have the same problem with my DVD burner. I contacted LG, and they
claim its a problem with microsoft and vista and MS needs to address it with
drivers as LG will not be changing firmware to adjust to their new OS.

"Gaz - Wirral" wrote:

> I have the same problem.
> After installing ultimate edition, neither my Sony DVD-Rom DDU1613 or
> Pioneer DVD-RW 109 drive can read ANY disc ( a software,dvd or audio disc).
> In My computer it can be seen to be loaded, but if you try to access or run
> it you get a message saying that no disc in the drive.
> All drivers are up to date, also vista update advisor does not identify any
> issues.
> Other programs are in conflict, but i need to run the original software disc
> to proceed... BUT I CAN'T.
> Microsoft need to solve this quickly.
> Can anyone help???
>
> "Dan - Queenspark" wrote:
>
> > Under Device Manager my LG DVD/RW appears to be working OK. However whenever
> > I load a CD or DVD my drive does pick it up. For instance, when I open My
> > Computer I can see the drive display a CD-ROM icon. Unfortunately this icon
> > doesn't change when I load a CD or DVD. Any hints here will be mightily
> > appreciated?

=?Utf-8?B?R2F6IC0gV2lycmFs?=

RE: DVD drive not working
Hello again
a previous thread has delt with this issue.
if you go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553 and follow the
intructions, this may help. It worked successfully for me, both my drives are
recognised and working fine now.

"JeffO" wrote:

> I too have the same problem with my DVD burner. I contacted LG, and they
> claim its a problem with microsoft and vista and MS needs to address it with
> drivers as LG will not be changing firmware to adjust to their new OS.
>
> "Gaz - Wirral" wrote:
>
> > I have the same problem.
> > After installing ultimate edition, neither my Sony DVD-Rom DDU1613 or
> > Pioneer DVD-RW 109 drive can read ANY disc ( a software,dvd or audio disc).
> > In My computer it can be seen to be loaded, but if you try to access or run
> > it you get a message saying that no disc in the drive.
> > All drivers are up to date, also vista update advisor does not identify any
> > issues.
> > Other programs are in conflict, but i need to run the original software disc
> > to proceed... BUT I CAN'T.
> > Microsoft need to solve this quickly.
> > Can anyone help???
> >
> > "Dan - Queenspark" wrote:
> >
> > > Under Device Manager my LG DVD/RW appears to be working OK. However whenever
> > > I load a CD or DVD my drive does pick it up. For instance, when I open My
> > > Computer I can see the drive display a CD-ROM icon. Unfortunately this icon
> > > doesn't change when I load a CD or DVD. Any hints here will be mightily
> > > appreciated?

=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZk8=?=

RE: DVD drive not working
that KB article is for another problem (missing CD/DVD drive in my computer).
We are talking about non-functioning drivers for CD/DVD drives. They appear
fine in MyComputer and in many cases can read the data fine, but have
problems burning.

"Gaz - Wirral" wrote:

> Hello again
> a previous thread has delt with this issue.
> if you go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553 and follow the
> intructions, this may help. It worked successfully for me, both my drives are
> recognised and working fine now.
>
> "JeffO" wrote:
>
> > I too have the same problem with my DVD burner. I contacted LG, and they
> > claim its a problem with microsoft and vista and MS needs to address it with
> > drivers as LG will not be changing firmware to adjust to their new OS.
> >
> > "Gaz - Wirral" wrote:
> >
> > > I have the same problem.
> > > After installing ultimate edition, neither my Sony DVD-Rom DDU1613 or
> > > Pioneer DVD-RW 109 drive can read ANY disc ( a software,dvd or audio disc).
> > > In My computer it can be seen to be loaded, but if you try to access or run
> > > it you get a message saying that no disc in the drive.
> > > All drivers are up to date, also vista update advisor does not identify any
> > > issues.
> > > Other programs are in conflict, but i need to run the original software disc
> > > to proceed... BUT I CAN'T.
> > > Microsoft need to solve this quickly.
> > > Can anyone help???

=?Utf-8?B?TUJTNTQw?=

RE: DVD drive not working
I have a very similar problem to you, I have a dvd burner- Lite-ON DVDRW
SHW-160P6S ATA, and a DVD drive - JLMS XJ-HD166S, both have up to date
drivers and are recognized by device manager and in bios, although neither
one will appear in "my computer" or will pick up when a cd is put(when
windows is running), any help would be appreciated! Thanks
=?Utf-8?B?U3R1?=

RE: DVD drive not working
Dan,

I have exactly the same problem with both my DVD writer and my dvd drive. A
work round for me at the moment is to boot or reboot with an audio CD or DVD
in both drives.

They then work fine for that session.

I posted this problem last week here and had no joy so far

Stu

"Dan - Queenspark" wrote:

> Under Device Manager my LG DVD/RW appears to be working OK. However whenever
> I load a CD or DVD my drive does pick it up. For instance, when I open My
> Computer I can see the drive display a CD-ROM icon. Unfortunately this icon
> doesn't change when I load a CD or DVD. Any hints here will be mightily
> appreciated?

=?Utf-8?B?TUJTNTQw?=

RE: DVD drive not working
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553
Heres a link that fixed the problem for my computer

I know the support page says "Windows XP or Windows Vista Beta 2" but it
will work with Vista Ultimate 64 bit if anyone has that. I would encourage
anyone with the problem to use this as a solution, its the simplest method
(sort of reinstalling Vista) i have found, just make sure you back up your
registry if you do this. I hope this is helpfull.
=?Utf-8?B?U3R1?=

RE: DVD drive not working

"MBS540" wrote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553
> Heres a link that fixed the problem for my computer
>
> I know the support page says "Windows XP or Windows Vista Beta 2" but it
> will work with Vista Ultimate 64 bit if anyone has that. I would encourage
> anyone with the problem to use this as a solution, its the simplest method
> (sort of reinstalling Vista) i have found, just make sure you back up your
> registry if you do this. I hope this is helpfull.

NOODLESgoneWILD

Re: RE: DVD drive not working
Hey Guys...I got the same problem, In the device manager I can see my
NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD ATA Device. and it has the "!" mark on it and
it say’s i have the most current drivers for it...Under Device status
it says---This device cannot start. (Code 10)...Sounds like the same
problem as everyone else...Im imgoing to try and solve it and send the
info back to MS hoping it will draw there attention...wish me luck

--
Posted at author's request, using fully moderated http://www.WinForumz.com/Hardware-Devices-forum-16.html interface