Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

SATA Hot swap

microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2007
=?Utf-8?B?UHVyZUV2aWw=?=
 

Posts: n/a
SATA Hot swap
I have a removable SATA drive bay that I use for drives with music and movies
on them. I just got Vista Ultimate this past week and I can't figure out why
it is not recognizing my drive unless it is in during boot up. Any
suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2007
Anna
 

Posts: n/a
Re: SATA Hot swap

"PureEvil" <PureEvil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:8B58AAEC-D7CC-4537-982D-4F8E7161397C@microsoft.com...
>I have a removable SATA drive bay that I use for drives with music and
>movies
> on them. I just got Vista Ultimate this past week and I can't figure out
> why
> it is not recognizing my drive unless it is in during boot up. Any
> suggestions would be greatly appreciated.



PureEvil:
Presumably you're working with a SATA-II HDD and a motherboard that supports
the "hot-swapping" ("hot-plugging") capability of SATA HDDs. It really helps
when you pose questions of this nature if you would provide details as to
the make & model of the components involved.

I assume that when you refer to a "removable SATA drive bay", you're
referring to a mobile rack to house your removable SATA HDD and that the
drive is a secondary HDD. If that is so, and the drive is not powered up
until after you bootup, and is thus not detected by the system, do this...

In Device Manager right-click on Disk drives and invoke the "Scan for
hardware changes" item listed in the sub-menu. In all likelihood the drive
then will be recognized by the system.
Anna


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2007
=?Utf-8?B?UHVyZUV2aWw=?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: SATA Hot swap
Thank you for the help. Sorry about the lack of detail. I was confused as to
why it wasn't working because I'm having no trouble with hot swapping them
when running XP or any of my other OSs. Your advice got me one step closer.
I can change the drives now, but I have to manually go in and scan for
hardware changes each time. Is there a way to set it up to autodetect the
change like my other OSs do? It's not like I swap them out all that often, I
just want things working the way I think they should be. Thanks again.

"Anna" wrote:

>
> "PureEvil" <PureEvil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:8B58AAEC-D7CC-4537-982D-4F8E7161397C@microsoft.com...
> >I have a removable SATA drive bay that I use for drives with music and
> >movies
> > on them. I just got Vista Ultimate this past week and I can't figure out
> > why
> > it is not recognizing my drive unless it is in during boot up. Any
> > suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

>
>
> PureEvil:
> Presumably you're working with a SATA-II HDD and a motherboard that supports
> the "hot-swapping" ("hot-plugging") capability of SATA HDDs. It really helps
> when you pose questions of this nature if you would provide details as to
> the make & model of the components involved.
>
> I assume that when you refer to a "removable SATA drive bay", you're
> referring to a mobile rack to house your removable SATA HDD and that the
> drive is a secondary HDD. If that is so, and the drive is not powered up
> until after you bootup, and is thus not detected by the system, do this...
>
> In Device Manager right-click on Disk drives and invoke the "Scan for
> hardware changes" item listed in the sub-menu. In all likelihood the drive
> then will be recognized by the system.
> Anna
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2007
Anna
 

Posts: n/a
Re: SATA Hot swap

>> "PureEvil" <PureEvil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:8B58AAEC-D7CC-4537-982D-4F8E7161397C@microsoft.com...
>> >I have a removable SATA drive bay that I use for drives with music and
>> >movies
>> > on them. I just got Vista Ultimate this past week and I can't figure
>> > out
>> > why
>> > it is not recognizing my drive unless it is in during boot up. Any
>> > suggestions would be greatly appreciated.



> "Anna" wrote:
>> PureEvil:
>> Presumably you're working with a SATA-II HDD and a motherboard that
>> supports
>> the "hot-swapping" ("hot-plugging") capability of SATA HDDs. It really
>> helps
>> when you pose questions of this nature if you would provide details as to
>> the make & model of the components involved.
>>
>> I assume that when you refer to a "removable SATA drive bay", you're
>> referring to a mobile rack to house your removable SATA HDD and that the
>> drive is a secondary HDD. If that is so, and the drive is not powered up
>> until after you bootup, and is thus not detected by the system, do
>> this...
>>
>> In Device Manager right-click on Disk drives and invoke the "Scan for
>> hardware changes" item listed in the sub-menu. In all likelihood the
>> drive
>> then will be recognized by the system.
>> Anna



"PureEvil" <PureEvil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B2490168-5889-4A56-883D-61F5E56DDB71@microsoft.com...
> Thank you for the help. Sorry about the lack of detail. I was confused as
> to
> why it wasn't working because I'm having no trouble with hot swapping
> them
> when running XP or any of my other OSs. Your advice got me one step
> closer.
> I can change the drives now, but I have to manually go in and scan for
> hardware changes each time. Is there a way to set it up to autodetect the
> change like my other OSs do? It's not like I swap them out all that
> often, I
> just want things working the way I think they should be. Thanks again.



Not that I'm aware of. It seems it's a function of the motherboard involved.
With some motherboards the secondary SATA HDD is detected with no problem
even when it is powered on after bootup. With others, such as what you're
experiencing, the system does not detect the SATA HDD if it is powered on
following bootup, except under the condition I previously mentioned. At
least we haven't been able to find a better solution.
Anna


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2007
bwg
 

Posts: n/a
me too
Anna

I also have the problem. I am using an Nforce4 motherboard with a SATA internal caddy. Running on WinXP, the drives would initialise and prompt an auto-run upon plug-in. They would also appear in the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the system tray. Upon installing Vista, I have now lost that functionality and have to manually scan for hardware changes in device manager to get the drives to initialise.

Any ideas?

EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot Spot Internet Connection =?Utf-8?B?Q29ubmllRg==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 03-01-2007 23:13
short primer on adding 2nd drive and setting swap location Joe microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 03-01-2007 15:00
Where is all the start menu hot keys ??? =?Utf-8?B?YWNoYWtydUB5YWhvby5jb20=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 03-01-2007 12:52
"aero" is a bunch of hot air.... jim microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 65 03-01-2007 08:01
SATA Driver =?Utf-8?B?QnJvY2hz?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 03-01-2007 03:05




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:57.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120