Cant Read CDs

haye321

Cant Read CDs
I was on the phone with Logitech today trying to setup my G5 Laser Mouse, so
the person I was speaking with had me do all sorts of changes with msconfig
and had me rename the InstallShield in Program Files>Common Files to
InstallShield Old so that a new one would be formed. I also had to disable
User Account Control, and change the way that Windows started up. I do not
know what any of this did but now I am unable to read any CDs. Does anyone
know what happened and how I would go about fixing it. Thanks very much.
Spirit

Re: Cant Read CDs
Start with this,,, Go into Device Manager and DELETE the CD and reboot
Windows will re-install the CD if still no joy :

The CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected after you upgrade a computer to Windows Vista

You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after

you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"

When you insert a CD or a DVD, Windows Vista may not recognize the disc

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939052/en-us

"haye321" <haye321@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9254A0C2-A987-4B63-B252-30DD34F2BA92@microsoft.com...
>I was on the phone with Logitech today trying to setup my G5 Laser Mouse, so
> the person I was speaking with had me do all sorts of changes with msconfig
> and had me rename the InstallShield in Program Files>Common Files to
> InstallShield Old so that a new one would be formed. I also had to disable
> User Account Control, and change the way that Windows started up. I do not
> know what any of this did but now I am unable to read any CDs. Does anyone
> know what happened and how I would go about fixing it. Thanks very much.

haye321

Re: Cant Read CDs
Unfortunately that did not help my problem.

"Spirit" wrote:

> Start with this,,, Go into Device Manager and DELETE the CD and reboot
> Windows will re-install the CD if still no joy :
>
> The CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected after you upgrade a computer to Windows Vista

> You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after
>
> you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"

> When you insert a CD or a DVD, Windows Vista may not recognize the disc

> "haye321" <haye321@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9254A0C2-A987-4B63-B252-30DD34F2BA92@microsoft.com...
> >I was on the phone with Logitech today trying to setup my G5 Laser Mouse, so
> > the person I was speaking with had me do all sorts of changes with msconfig
> > and had me rename the InstallShield in Program Files>Common Files to
> > InstallShield Old so that a new one would be formed. I also had to disable
> > User Account Control, and change the way that Windows started up. I do not
> > know what any of this did but now I am unable to read any CDs. Does anyone
> > know what happened and how I would go about fixing it. Thanks very much.

Spirit

Re: Cant Read CDs
You deleted the CD in device manager and did ALL the functions
in those links?

"haye321" <haye321@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9A69BE24-6CBB-43EF-A269-499186BBD969@microsoft.com...
> Unfortunately that did not help my problem.
>
> "Spirit" wrote:
>
>> Start with this,,, Go into Device Manager and DELETE the CD and reboot
>> Windows will re-install the CD if still no joy :
>>
>> The CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected after you upgrade a computer to Windows Vista
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929461
>>
>> You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after
>>
>> you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"

>> When you insert a CD or a DVD, Windows Vista may not recognize the disc

>> "haye321" <haye321@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9254A0C2-A987-4B63-B252-30DD34F2BA92@microsoft.com...
>> >I was on the phone with Logitech today trying to setup my G5 Laser Mouse, so
>> > the person I was speaking with had me do all sorts of changes with msconfig
>> > and had me rename the InstallShield in Program Files>Common Files to
>> > InstallShield Old so that a new one would be formed. I also had to disable
>> > User Account Control, and change the way that Windows started up. I do not
>> > know what any of this did but now I am unable to read any CDs. Does anyone
>> > know what happened and how I would go about fixing it. Thanks very much.

Michael Solomon

Re: Cant Read CDs

"haye321" <haye321@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Unfortunately that did not help my problem.
>
> "Spirit" wrote:
>
>> Start with this,,, Go into Device Manager and DELETE the CD and reboot
>> Windows will re-install the CD if still no joy :
>>
>> The CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected after you upgrade
>> a computer to Windows Vista
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929461
>>
>> You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an
>> error message after
>>
>> you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows
>> XP: "error code 31"

>> When you insert a CD or a DVD, Windows Vista may not recognize the disc

>> "haye321" <haye321@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I was on the phone with Logitech today trying to setup my G5 Laser
>> >Mouse, so
>> > the person I was speaking with had me do all sorts of changes with
>> > msconfig
>> > and had me rename the InstallShield in Program Files>Common Files to
>> > InstallShield Old so that a new one would be formed. I also had to
>> > disable
>> > User Account Control, and change the way that Windows started up. I do
>> > not
>> > know what any of this did but now I am unable to read any CDs. Does
>> > anyone
>> > know what happened and how I would go about fixing it. Thanks very
>> > much.

Try using System Restore to take your system back to a time prior to when
this began, Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore.
System Restore is designed to restore system settings and registry back to a
specific point in time but you should always be sure your data is well
backed up as a precaution.

Assuming you have your CD function restored by this, post back with your
issues with regard to your laser mouse. No guarantees we can help but even
if you have to contact Logitech you will know the things you shouldn't do.
Installation of hardware drivers if properly written should not require the
actions you were asked to take.

--
Michael Solomon
Backup is a PC user's best friend