SD Card needs driver in Vista?!

SaPhZ

SD Card needs driver in Vista?!
I have an ASUS G1 notebook (Vista Home-Premium 32-bit) with an internal
memory card reader. My old camera had a 1gb SD card that wasn't fast enough
for readyboost. I just purchased an OCZ 2GB 150X SD Card assuming that it
would be more than enough for readyboost.

When I put the card into the slot, I get a prompt telling me that the SD
Card requires a driver... I tell it to automatically install, and it can't
find any such driver (of course, thats not a surprise.. I have never heard of
such a thing for an SD "Card"). It says that the device was not installed
properly, and I am unable to access the card (not in Computer, safely remove
devices, etc).

My 1GB card works perfectly without any troubles, and this 2GB card works
fine in my digital camera and another ASUS laptop (same card reader,
incidently) running windows XP.

The card reader is definately installed properly with the latest drivers
from the manufacturer, and I have all windows updates installed (including
the one for SD Card compatability).

I called OCZ, but they seemed to think it was a vista compatability problem,
and they would "look into it".

Any suggestions? I'm kinda ticked about spending a lot of money on a fast
card just for this purpose, and to top it off I purchased it from a small
shop when I was out of town, and a return is not possible!
SaPhZ

RE: SD Card needs driver in Vista?!
I worked on this for a week to no avail, 20 minutes after I post a message
about it I fix it lol... No idea what happened, but I thought just for the
heck of it I would select C:\ (including subfolders) as a search location for
the driver, and it found one.. somehow.. and it works famously. Hope that
helps someone!

"SaPhZ" wrote:

> I have an ASUS G1 notebook (Vista Home-Premium 32-bit) with an internal
> memory card reader. My old camera had a 1gb SD card that wasn't fast enough
> for readyboost. I just purchased an OCZ 2GB 150X SD Card assuming that it
> would be more than enough for readyboost.
>
> When I put the card into the slot, I get a prompt telling me that the SD
> Card requires a driver... I tell it to automatically install, and it can't
> find any such driver (of course, thats not a surprise.. I have never heard of
> such a thing for an SD "Card"). It says that the device was not installed
> properly, and I am unable to access the card (not in Computer, safely remove
> devices, etc).
>
> My 1GB card works perfectly without any troubles, and this 2GB card works
> fine in my digital camera and another ASUS laptop (same card reader,
> incidently) running windows XP.
>
> The card reader is definately installed properly with the latest drivers
> from the manufacturer, and I have all windows updates installed (including
> the one for SD Card compatability).
>
> I called OCZ, but they seemed to think it was a vista compatability problem,
> and they would "look into it".
>
> Any suggestions? I'm kinda ticked about spending a lot of money on a fast
> card just for this purpose, and to top it off I purchased it from a small
> shop when I was out of town, and a return is not possible!

DevilsPGD

Re: SD Card needs driver in Vista?!
In message <11772800-0205-40E8-9B1B-AA8F4AE0C79B@microsoft.com> SaPhZ
<SaPhZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I put the card into the slot, I get a prompt telling me that the SD
>Card requires a driver... I tell it to automatically install, and it can't
>find any such driver (of course, thats not a surprise.. I have never heard of
>such a thing for an SD "Card"). It says that the device was not installed
>properly, and I am unable to access the card (not in Computer, safely remove
>devices, etc).

This solution has worked for some people with problematic USB devices:

Locate the file INFCACHE.1 in C:\Windows\inf

Right click on the INFCACHE.1 file, select Properties >Security > Edit,
and give your account full control.

Delete INFCACHE.1, or rename it to INFCACHE.1.BAK or temporarily move to
your desktop.

REBOOT

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.