USB Problems/ drivers wont install

=?Utf-8?B?bm9ydnMyNkB5YWhvby5jb20=?=

USB Problems/ drivers wont install
Nothing i plug into my vista system works, vista cant find drivers for any of
my stuff, ie; memory stick, mp3, cell phone, external hard drive. i tried
that command prompt thing on ms troubleshoot for Autoplay, but no go.
everything works great on my xp systems. anyone got any ideas ????
=?Utf-8?B?YnVsYjAwNQ==?=

RE: USB Problems/ drivers wont install
try this website they have a fair amount of vista drivers

http://www.radarsync.com/vista/vista_more.php?result=0

am also having problems wit my optical mouse too.

"norvs26@yahoo.com" wrote:

> Nothing i plug into my vista system works, vista cant find drivers for any of
> my stuff, ie; memory stick, mp3, cell phone, external hard drive. i tried
> that command prompt thing on ms troubleshoot for Autoplay, but no go.
> everything works great on my xp systems. anyone got any ideas ????

=?Utf-8?B?bm9ydnMyNkB5YWhvby5jb20=?=

RE: USB Problems/ drivers wont install
tried that link but found nothing compatible, pluss its not "free". I did a
System Restore and used "Manual" as the restore point. That seemed to work.4
out of 5 of my USB devices now work. My Razr cell phone still cant get a
driver. Ill get on Moto about that.

"bulb005" wrote:

> try this website they have a fair amount of vista drivers
>
> http://www.radarsync.com/vista/vista_more.php?result=0
>
> am also having problems wit my optical mouse too.
>
> "norvs26@yahoo.com" wrote:
>
> > Nothing i plug into my vista system works, vista cant find drivers for any of
> > my stuff, ie; memory stick, mp3, cell phone, external hard drive. i tried
> > that command prompt thing on ms troubleshoot for Autoplay, but no go.
> > everything works great on my xp systems. anyone got any ideas ????

Don

norvs26@yahoo.com wrote:

> ...I did a
> System Restore and used "Manual" as the restore point. That seemed to work.4
> out of 5 of my USB devices now work...

So many people are having similar problems it would be nice if you could
think what might have happened that required a restore. Did you run
Windows Update, maybe, or install some third-party software, edit the
Registry, etc?

Were there restore points other than 'Manual' that you could pick from?
=?Utf-8?B?ZGpybQ==?=

Re: USB Problems/ drivers wont install
Exactly the same problem and its driving me mad. Ive reinstalled Vista three
times and this still keeps happening!!!!

This is what i have posted elsewhere...........

Please help. I have re-installed Vista three times now and this problem
keeps cropping up.

Usually when you attach certain peripherals windows automatically installs
generic drivers and away you go. This is the case with Vista as well
HOWEVER.......

After a few days use Vista keeps asking for drivers for no matter what new
hardware i try to attach to my Dell M1210.

If i attach a simple external hard drive for the first time i get "windows
needs to install driver software for your......"

If i ask it to install automatically then i get a prompt saying "insert the
disc that came with your device"

As an external hard drive dosent need any extra drivers i dont have a disc
and so windows cant use the hardware.

If i plug it into an XP machine i need no extra drivers, if i plug it into a
Vista machine soon after install i need no extra drivers but if i try and add
anything after a few days i get nowhere!

Any help would be great!

(Its not just the hard drive, its cameras, memory cards, printers, anything
external)

Is there any news on this yet??????
=?Utf-8?B?ZGpybQ==?=

Re: USB Problems/ drivers wont install
Found a fix at last!

Click "Locate and install drivers software (recommended)" then "I dont have
the disc show me other options" then "Browse my computer for driver software
(advanced)" Chose the location "C:\Windows" and make sure the "include
subfolders" is ticked. BINGO

Works with all hardware (well it should do)

anon242@gmail.com

On Feb 20, 6:37 pm, djrm <d...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Found a fix at last!
>
> Click "Locate and install drivers software (recommended)" then "I dont have
> the disc show me other options" then "Browse my computer for driver software
> (advanced)" Chose the location "C:\Windows" and make sure the "include
> subfolders" is ticked. BINGO
>
> Works with all hardware (well it should do)
>
> "djrm" wrote:
> > Exactly the same problem and its driving me mad. Ive reinstalled Vista three
> > times and this still keeps happening!!!!

> > This is what i have posted elsewhere...........

> > Please help. I have re-installed Vista three times now and this problem
> > keeps cropping up.

> > Usually when you attach certain peripherals windows automatically installs
> > generic drivers and away you go. This is the case with Vista as well
> > HOWEVER.......

> > After a few days use Vista keeps asking for drivers for no matter what new
> > hardware i try to attach to my Dell M1210.

> > If i attach a simple external hard drive for the first time i get "windows> needs to install driver softwarefor your......"

> > If i ask it to install automatically then i get a prompt saying "insert the
> > disc that came with your device"

> > As an external hard drive dosent need any extra drivers i dont have a disc
> > and so windows cant use the hardware.

> > If i plug it into an XP machine i need no extra drivers, if i plug it into a
> > Vista machine soon after install i need no extra drivers but if i try and add
> > anything after a few days i get nowhere!

> > Any help would be great!

> > (Its not just the hard drive, its cameras, memory cards, printers, anything
> > external)

> > Is there any news on this yet??????

Open Regedit

Change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion
\DevicePath to '%SystemRoot%\System32'

Don

anon242@gmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 20, 6:37 pm, djrm <d...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> Found a fix at last!
>>
>> Click "Locate and install drivers software (recommended)" then "I dont have
>> the disc show me other options" then "Browse my computer for driver software
>> (advanced)" Chose the location "C:\Windows" and make sure the "include
>> subfolders" is ticked. BINGO
>>
>> Works with all hardware (well it should do)

> Open Regedit
>
> Change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion
> \DevicePath to '%SystemRoot%\System32'

dj, glad to hear you found how to fix the problem, but it doesn't
explain why it happens in the first place. I'm assuming (but could
well be wrong) that Vista should need to install each driver only
once -- unless Vista removes a driver after a few days of non-use?
Now that I think of it I'll unplug all of my USB devices for a few
days and see what happens.
=?Utf-8?B?cm95?=

RE: USB Problems/ drivers wont install
Hi, Had the very same problem as you, if you have your vista upgrade cd
reinstall it, this is what i did, rather drastic but it solved all my usb
problems. This is assuming you have the vista upgrade software, as you will
keep all your programes and personal files intact,
Roy.

"norvs26@yahoo.com" wrote:

> Nothing i plug into my vista system works, vista cant find drivers for any of
> my stuff, ie; memory stick, mp3, cell phone, external hard drive. i tried
> that command prompt thing on ms troubleshoot for Autoplay, but no go.
> everything works great on my xp systems. anyone got any ideas ????

=?Utf-8?B?ZmJi?=

Re: USB Problems/ drivers wont install
Where do you find "locate and install drivers software"?

Thanks
fbb