RE: Plextor PX-760A and 130A Missing after auto-update in Vista x6

Swiss

RE: Plextor PX-760A and 130A Missing after auto-update in Vista x6
Hello and thank you for this long answer!

I a little badly expressed my problem.

When I spoke “auto-update” I spoke about Windows Vista. On (approximately)
August 15, 2007, several were proposed.

Before the auto-update: my two DVD functioned perfectly.

Afterwards: in the list “hardware” Windows always saw them, but with a small
yellow triangle and while looking at more in detail, I have a code error 39.
I uninstall the two DVD, Windows still installed… but always with the code
error 39.

I have the same problem if I install only (since Windows seeing my two DVD)
Windows6.0-KB938979-x64, after a reboot… Windows does not see more my DVD.

I specify that I also use on the same Vista computer 32 bits and I do not
have a problem with my DVD, update carried out and/or Windows6.0-KB938979-x64
installed.

It is well a problem only with Vista X64… in any case at home. I doubt that
this problem comes from my Plextor, since all functions perfectly, except
when I but up to date my Windows with the last updates (setting on line
approximately on August 15, 2007).

Afflicted for my English, I make my to be most clearly possible better

Info to "Plextor Tool LE":
PX-130A = ATAPI (PIO Mode 0-4, MultiWord DMA 0-2, Ultra DMD Mode 2-5
Firmware : 1.03

PX-760A = ATAPI (PIO Mode 0-4, MultiWord DMS Mode 0-2, Ultra DMA Mode 0-4
Firmware : 1.06

Thank you for your help
Stephane

"Quilnux" wrote:

> [...]
> then it's a PX-760UF. Reason I ask is the technical steps will vary on this
> information.
>
> Assuming it's internal (and not SATA), I would first remove the devices from
> device manager. restart your computer. see what you get. if the issue still
> occurs then check the cable. Make sure it is not a round ATA cable. This
> causes major crosstalk issues and may cause problems with communication. If
> you are using a flat ATA see if it's a 40 pin cable or an 80 pin cable. If
> it's a 40 try using an 80 pin flat instead (the one the drive came with is a
> 80 pin flat). after switching the cable you may have to remove the devices
> from device manager again for redetection. If that does not work I would try
> the drive in another computer just to see if it works. doesn't hurt to
> double-check. If it doesn't then call Plextor Tech Support. If it does then
> you may want to run a selftest. The Selftest instructions are in the manual
> that came with the drive. You MUST run the self test with recommended media.
> check http://www.plextor.com/english/support/media_760.htm for media
> information. This is important as the test could fail with non-recommended
> media when in fact the drive is working. The test is only programmed to run
> with recommended media. If the drive ejects the drive is fine. if the drive
> fails it will make a colored blink code on the front. if this happens call
> Plextor tech support while the blink code is still occuring (they need this
> information) and they will handle things from there.
>
> If the drive is external (PX-760UF) then first check that the self test
> switch is off (away from the arrow). if it's not turn the device off before
> switching the self test off. If that doesn't work. remove the device from
> device manager. restart, if that doesn't work. try another USB cable (the one
> that came with it should be good). if that doesn't work try it from another
> computer (just to be sure). if it works then you may want to reset your USB
> controllers. Remove all devices from device manager under Universal serial
> bus controllers. then restart the computer. check if the drive is working. if
> still no go, run a self test using the same directions as above.
>
> I hope this helps. If there is anything more I can do let me know but
> further trouble-shooting should be done with Plextor support team. I am no
> longer part of their support team so my information may be out of date.
>
> "Swiss" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > After a “auto-update” my two DVD are not usable any more in my Vista
> > Ultimate X64.
> > Vista recognize my two DVD well… BUT a gives “error codes 39” and says to me
> > that I have the last drivers.
> >
> > I can nothing any more make, I thought that it to étair ONLY the KB938979
> > which posed the problem, but at the time of this last update (15 august 2007)

Quilnux

RE: Plextor PX-760A and 130A Missing after auto-update in Vista x6
Ok. I assumed that the drives were working but, I wanted to clean that up
just in case. Well, if the issue is only present with the installation of the
update then I would try uninstalling the update. (not sure if you meant that
you uninstalled the drives in device manager or the update). once the update
is installed I would remove the drives from device manager and restart. see
if they show up normally. If they do then I would try reinstalling the update
again and see if the issue surfaces again. If it does I would just uninstall
it and not use it or contact Microsoft about it. If you uninstall the update
and uninstall the drives and the drives still show up with issues then you
might try a Windows System Restore point to before the update was installed
and see what you get. I will take a look at the KB article for this update
after lunch and see if I can find any information that might be useful. Let
me know what you get.

"Swiss" wrote:

> [...]
> > longer part of their support team so my information may be out of date.
> >
> > "Swiss" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > After a “auto-update” my two DVD are not usable any more in my Vista
> > > Ultimate X64.
> > > Vista recognize my two DVD well… BUT a gives “error codes 39” and says to me
> > > that I have the last drivers.
> > >
> > > I can nothing any more make, I thought that it to étair ONLY the KB938979
> > > which posed the problem, but at the time of this last update (15 august 2007)
> > > I still lost my two DVD.
> > >
> > > Plextor DVDR PX-760A ATA Device
> > > Plextor DVD-ROM PX-130A ATA Device
> > >
> > > Helllllllllllllllp
> > >
> > > Sorry for my very bad english :-(

Swiss

RE: Plextor PX-760A and 130A Missing after auto-update in Vista x6
Thank you for all your help…

A very simple test for me:

1. Vista X64 not “up to date”… especially not last security update setting
on line approximately on August 15, 2007

2. to install Windows6.0-KB938194-x64 - > not problem

3. to install Windows6.0-KB938979-x64 - > no DVD Plextor -> code error 39!

There is thus, in any case, in Windows6.0-KB938979-x64 an element which does
not function and which put except service my Plextor.

There are of them surely others in last update, but is not desire of all for
installing them with a Juste for whom are ok.

I do not think absolutely that Plextor is responsible for my problem
(perhaps I am not not only?), but only Microsoft with its Vista X64…

Thank you still for your assistance and damage which you cannot any more
help me: - (

"Quilnux" wrote:

> At this point it might be time to report your findings to Microsoft. Since
> the 32-bit version of the update does not cause any problems it seems there
> may be something broken (in my opinion) with the 64-bit version of this
> update. If you are able and have time, you may want to install a non-plextor
> drive and the update to see if the issue remains. This may help determine if
> it is plextor specific or not. Microsoft may be able to use this information.
> Also, when I worked at Plextor, if there was any issues with updates (very
> rare I might add), some cases we had workarounds until Microsoft could fix
> it. Even if you are out of warrenty they may still be able to point you to a
> workaround if Plextor knows about the issue. Just a suggestion. At this
> point, since it seems the issue starts with a Microsoft update, I would make
> them aware incase they don't already know. Sorry I cannot be of further use
> to you. good luck.
>
> "Swiss" wrote:
>
> > If I returns while uninstall the KBXXXXX recently installed, Vista X64
> > installs and uses without problem my two DVD.
> >
> > For this reason I am certain that it is a change in one KBxxxx which these
> > problems with the Plextor mark.

Swiss

RE: Plextor PX-760A and 130A Missing after auto-update in Vista x6
Thank you still to spend much time to help me! it is really sympathetic nerve.

I have an image “Norton Ghost” in the event of problem and especially with
my software properly installed.

I start with my own image, Windows Vista (32 or 64 bits) functions
perfectly, my two DVD too.

I make a “update” of my Vista 32 bits, not of problem all functions. The
version of the drivers for my two DVD are: cdrom.sys - vista_rtm.061101-2205
before and after the “update”.
I make a “update” of my Vista 64 bits, and my two DVD do not function any
more, in “device manager”, Vista always sees them BUT with an error codes 39,
if I ask for an update of the driver it says to me that it is the last
(cdrom.sys - vista_rtm.061101-2205 = the same one as for my version 32
bits!), if I uninstall and install it always view my plextor but code 39
gives me, therefore they are not usable any more. AND also no more available
with “Windows explorer”!

Stephane