Motherboard Advice

=?Utf-8?B?bWlrZXluYXZ5MQ==?=

Motherboard Advice
Please provide any advice you have. I currently have an Asus P5AD2-E Premium
motherboard with Pentium 4 670 processor and 64-bit Windows Vista. When I
upgraded my memory to 4GB (motherboard max) it only shows 3.2GB due to
memory mapping. I've tried everything to get it to show the full 4096 MB but
no
luck, even with 64-bit Windows. Therefore, I want to get a new, relatively
inexpensive mother board (8GB max) that will show all 4 GB with 4 x 1GB DDR2
533MHz DIMMS installed (non-ECC). I was looking at the Asus P5B and the
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3. I can't get a hold of Asus, and Gigabyte told me that
the motherboard still won't show all 4 GB but will use it when needed (that
didn't make since). If my mother board won't show all 4GB, then Windows
never will. I want all 4 to show in both the BIOS and Windows. Currently,
neither will. Please advise on motherboards you know will work. If
necessary I could upgrade to a Pentium D or an entry Core 2 Duo, but I'm
trying to wait a year before upgrading my entire system.

edrice

Re: Motherboard Advice
On Feb 18, 10:41 pm, mikeynavy1 <mikeyna...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Please provide any advice you have. I currently have an Asus P5AD2-E Premium
> motherboard with Pentium 4 670 processor and 64-bit Windows Vista. When I
> upgraded my memory to 4GB (motherboard max) it only shows 3.2GB due to
> memory mapping. I've tried everything to get it to show the full 4096 MB but
> no
> luck, even with 64-bit Windows. Therefore, I want to get a new, relatively
> inexpensive mother board (8GB max) that will show all 4 GB with 4 x 1GB DDR2
> 533MHz DIMMS installed (non-ECC). I was looking at the Asus P5B and the
> Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3. I can't get a hold of Asus, and Gigabyte told me that
> the motherboard still won't show all 4 GB but will use it when needed (that
> didn't make since). If my mother board won't show all 4GB, then Windows
> never will. I want all 4 to show in both the BIOS and Windows. Currently,
> neither will. Please advise on motherboards you know will work. If
> necessary I could upgrade to a Pentium D or an entry Core 2 Duo, but I'm
> trying to wait a year before upgrading my entire system.

I'm currently running the Asus P5B with Core 2 (E6400) and 4 GB and
having the same problem, so upgrading won't change anything. I'm still
searching for a solution but keep running across the same answer
you've been given, which doesn't make any sense to me either. I'm
running Vista 64-bit and it still only shows 3007 while the bios shows
3008.

Ed

edrice

Re: Motherboard Advice
On Feb 19, 6:09 pm, "edrice" <edric...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm currently running the Asus P5B with Core 2 (E6400) and 4 GB and
> having the same problem, so upgrading won't change anything. I'm still
> searching for a solution but keep running across the same answer
> you've been given, which doesn't make any sense to me either. I'm
> running Vista 64-bit and it still only shows 3007 while the bios shows
> 3008.
>
> Ed

I did find this page which may "tend" to explain things -

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5cf97b54a41b26

=?Utf-8?B?bWlrZXluYXZ5MQ==?=

Re: Motherboard Advice
Did you enable the memory remap feature in your BIOS? I was told that that
is what's needed in the P5b motherboard. If you have, and it still isn't
showing it all, then that sucks.

"edrice" wrote:

> On Feb 19, 6:09 pm, "edrice" <edric...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm currently running the Asus P5B with Core 2 (E6400) and 4 GB and
> > having the same problem, so upgrading won't change anything. I'm still
> > searching for a solution but keep running across the same answer
> > you've been given, which doesn't make any sense to me either. I'm
> > running Vista 64-bit and it still only shows 3007 while the bios shows
> > 3008.
> >
> > Ed

> I did find this page which may "tend" to explain things -
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5cf97b54a41b26

feyrerm

Re: Motherboard Advice
I went from a Abit AB9 Pro which had no problem with my 1X4 GB 6400 sims and
it all showd up in Vista 32 to the Asus P5B deluxe wich is having the same
issue you folks are describing. Now I'v read all the explanation as to why
this is occuring and how its not possible for Vista to use it Especially the
Vista 32 version I have. But why one board (Abit AB9 Pro) used the full
ammount of ddr2 800 at the correct speed and everything without any problems
and another Board (P5B Deluxe) wont even though both use the same chipset is
just beyond me, and is oviously a problem with the Asus Bios. If you want the
full 4 GB to be recognised I would sugest the Abit AB9 Pro or the Abit Quad4,
but be prepared for other Bios issues as AB9 pro I had seemed like it was
still in beta bios.