Installing a legacy UPS

Andy

Installing a legacy UPS
How do I install a legacy UPS which connects through COM1> In XP this was
found under screensaver/power ...

There is nothing like this in VISTA.

Where is it hidden?

Thanks

Andy

Richard Urban

Re: Installing a legacy UPS
Unfortunately, you don't. I am in the same boat.

The UPS still works and will carry you through brown outs and short black
outs, it just will not shut down your computer gracefully when the battery
has exhausted itself.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"Andy" <nobody@nobody.net> wrote in message
> How do I install a legacy UPS which connects through COM1> In XP this was
> found under screensaver/power ...
>
> There is nothing like this in VISTA.
>
> Where is it hidden?
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy

JW

Re: Installing a legacy UPS
Did you you try installing it with its installer in Xp compatibility mode?

"Andy" <nobody@nobody.net> wrote in message
> How do I install a legacy UPS which connects through COM1> In XP this was
> found under screensaver/power ...
>
> There is nothing like this in VISTA.
>
> Where is it hidden?
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy

Rick Rogers

Re: Installing a legacy UPS
You can't run device drivers (which this operation would require to talk to
the com port) in compatibility mode.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
> Did you you try installing it with its installer in Xp compatibility mode?
>
> "Andy" <nobody@nobody.net> wrote in message
>> How do I install a legacy UPS which connects through COM1> In XP this was
>> found under screensaver/power ...
>>
>> There is nothing like this in VISTA.
>>
>> Where is it hidden?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Andy

emanon

Re: Installing a legacy UPS

> You can't run device drivers (which this operation would require to talk
> to the com port) in compatibility mode.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
>> Did you you try installing it with its installer in Xp compatibility
>> mode?
>>
>> "Andy" <nobody@nobody.net> wrote in message
>>> How do I install a legacy UPS which connects through COM1> In XP this
>>> was found under screensaver/power ...
>>>
>>> There is nothing like this in VISTA.
>>>
>>> Where is it hidden?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Andy

Cha-Ching! Hear the cash register ring!

Yet another perfectly good piece of hardware that has to be replaced because
of Vista. If the UPS works and protects the system why shouldn't the OS
support it?

JW

Re: Installing a legacy UPS
I have installed some XP drivers using compatibility mode without any
problem for both my scanner and for my Tv Tuner. However, I could not do so
before the RC2 release.
> You can't run device drivers (which this operation would require to talk
> to the com port) in compatibility mode.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
>> Did you you try installing it with its installer in Xp compatibility
>> mode?
>>
>> "Andy" <nobody@nobody.net> wrote in message
>>> How do I install a legacy UPS which connects through COM1> In XP this
>>> was found under screensaver/power ...
>>>
>>> There is nothing like this in VISTA.
>>>
>>> Where is it hidden?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Andy

Rick Rogers

Re: Installing a legacy UPS
Suppose you'd like support for ISA boards and for it to run on a 386 as
well. Hardware progresses as does the OS, and not every legacy bit can be
included, either because of conflicts, or because doing so would add to the
bloat that everyone already complains of. Using a com port for the UPS is
outmoded, just like using floppies to load the OS.