Vista Business 32 bit and HP DVD Writer model dvd640ri

Lowteknate@gmail.com

Vista Business 32 bit and HP DVD Writer model dvd640ri
Hello,

I have the HP DVD writer 640ri. It worked flawlessly in XP SP2. When
I got a new PC with Vista Business ( Acerpower FH with P4 HT 3.0 GHz,
1 GB RAM) I decided to swap the writer they had in it for mone. The
DVD writer they had in was probably fine but I always liked mine.

Install went ok. When I booted up everything was ok. When I put a CD
(or DVD) in the drive never spins up as far as I can tell. The PC
locks up TIGHT. I have to do a cold boot. If I leave the disc in the
PC locks up on the Windows splash screen. But again if there is no
disc everything is good.

If I put my Partition Magic CD in and boot to it it works great. I
even decided that since I just got the PC and I had not installed
anything myself as far as software and I really wanted to keep my HP
writer in it that I would take the Complete System restore DVD I made
(before I swapped the drives) and just see if it would boot to it and
restore the system. So it booted to that DVD fine and re-installed
from scratch. So the drive works.

Vista and the 640ri don't play nice. At least not for me.

I decided to put the original writer back in. When I do I search for
640ri + vista + HP I get no results in Google. When I leave the "ri"
out I get results but I don't see anything about my issue. mostly 640
GB hard drives.

Any ideas?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Vista Business 32 bit and HP DVD Writer model dvd640ri
Probably the cable to your DVD drive is defective
or is not fully seated .... try a new cable.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

<Lowteknate@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1187293598.849737.26900@z24g2000prh.googlegro ups.com...
[...]

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista Business 32 bit and HP DVD Writer model dvd640ri
Along with Carey's suggestions, check the jumpers at the rear of the drive.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

<Lowteknate@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1187293598.849737.26900@z24g2000prh.googlegro ups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have the HP DVD writer 640ri. It worked flawlessly in XP SP2. When
> I got a new PC with Vista Business ( Acerpower FH with P4 HT 3.0 GHz,
> 1 GB RAM) I decided to swap the writer they had in it for mone. The
> DVD writer they had in was probably fine but I always liked mine.
>
> Install went ok. When I booted up everything was ok. When I put a CD
> (or DVD) in the drive never spins up as far as I can tell. The PC
> locks up TIGHT. I have to do a cold boot. If I leave the disc in the
> PC locks up on the Windows splash screen. But again if there is no
> disc everything is good.
>
> If I put my Partition Magic CD in and boot to it it works great. I
> even decided that since I just got the PC and I had not installed
> anything myself as far as software and I really wanted to keep my HP
> writer in it that I would take the Complete System restore DVD I made
> (before I swapped the drives) and just see if it would boot to it and
> restore the system. So it booted to that DVD fine and re-installed
> from scratch. So the drive works.
>
> Vista and the 640ri don't play nice. At least not for me.
>
> I decided to put the original writer back in. When I do I search for
> 640ri + vista + HP I get no results in Google. When I leave the "ri"
> out I get results but I don't see anything about my issue. mostly 640
> GB hard drives.
>
> Any ideas?

Cari \(MS-MVP\)