Not Enough Free Space

=?Utf-8?B?c3dhZGVlcA==?=

Not Enough Free Space
Hi All,

I have just installed Vista home premium, in my laptop, in a 30 gb
partition. After installling the OS and some basic software along with office
2007, when i see the the space used, it show around 18.9 gb of space consumed.

Why is it like that? I hardly installed program around 4 gb along with the
OS. How much disk space does vista consume?

Thanks,
swadeep
Richard Urban

Re: Not Enough Free Space
Apparently 18.9 minus about 4 gig.

I have 17 gig out of 30 gig free.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"swadeep" <swadeep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have just installed Vista home premium, in my laptop, in a 30 gb
> partition. After installling the OS and some basic software along with
> office
> 2007, when i see the the space used, it show around 18.9 gb of space
> consumed.
>
> Why is it like that? I hardly installed program around 4 gb along with the
> OS. How much disk space does vista consume?
>
> Thanks,
> swadeep

Rick Rogers

Re: Not Enough Free Space
Hi,

A fresh install uses a lot of disk space. 12GB is not unusual, and
installing Office will bump that figure up considerably. Keep in mind that
all system files are cached on the drive, and that things like the System
Restore and paging files will take up considerable space.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"swadeep" <swadeep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have just installed Vista home premium, in my laptop, in a 30 gb
> partition. After installling the OS and some basic software along with
> office
> 2007, when i see the the space used, it show around 18.9 gb of space
> consumed.
>
> Why is it like that? I hardly installed program around 4 gb along with the
> OS. How much disk space does vista consume?
>
> Thanks,
> swadeep

Conor

Re: Not Enough Free Space
In article <054BBB8D-CA18-44A8-BD2A-2FD584AFC18B@microsoft.com>,
swadeep says...
> Hi All,
>
> I have just installed Vista home premium, in my laptop, in a 30 gb
> partition. After installling the OS and some basic software along with office
> 2007, when i see the the space used, it show around 18.9 gb of space consumed.
>
> Why is it like that? I hardly installed program around 4 gb along with the
> OS. How much disk space does vista consume?

Shadows Copy Service which is part of System Restore.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
=?Utf-8?B?c3dhZGVlcA==?=

Re: Not Enough Free Space
Hi Rick,

Thanks for that. Well, is there anyway, i can remove the system restore? I
guess i back that up in an exernal hard drive instead.

Thanks,
swadeep

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A fresh install uses a lot of disk space. 12GB is not unusual, and
> installing Office will bump that figure up considerably. Keep in mind that
> all system files are cached on the drive, and that things like the System
> Restore and paging files will take up considerable space.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "swadeep" <swadeep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have just installed Vista home premium, in my laptop, in a 30 gb
> > partition. After installling the OS and some basic software along with
> > office
> > 2007, when i see the the space used, it show around 18.9 gb of space
> > consumed.
> >
> > Why is it like that? I hardly installed program around 4 gb along with the
> > OS. How much disk space does vista consume?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > swadeep

Rock

Re: Not Enough Free Space
"swadeep" <swadeep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Hi Rick,
>
> Thanks for that. Well, is there anyway, i can remove the system restore? I
> guess i back that up in an exernal hard drive instead.

> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> A fresh install uses a lot of disk space. 12GB is not unusual, and
>> installing Office will bump that figure up considerably. Keep in mind
>> that
>> all system files are cached on the drive, and that things like the System
>> Restore and paging files will take up considerable space.

>> "swadeep" <swadeep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I have just installed Vista home premium, in my laptop, in a 30 gb
>> > partition. After installling the OS and some basic software along with
>> > office
>> > 2007, when i see the the space used, it show around 18.9 gb of space
>> > consumed.
>> >
>> > Why is it like that? I hardly installed program around 4 gb along with
>> > the
>> > OS. How much disk space does vista consume?

You back what up? Are you saying you image the drive? Even if you do I
would not disable system restore. It has recovered my system a couple of
times from problems induced by trying to install legacy hardware with
unsupported drivers, and one out of the blue glitch. It is a useful tool to
have in the inventory.

You can reduce the amount of space allocated to system restore and volume
shadow copies by the vssadmin command line tool. Do vssadmin /? for info on
the options.

To turn off system restore right click on My Computer | Properties |
Advanced System Settings | System Protection tab.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?anVkeWp1ZHlqdWR5?=

RE: Not Enough Free Space

"swadeep" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have just installed Vista home premium, in my laptop, in a 30 gb
> partition. After installling the OS and some basic software along with office
> 2007, when i see the the space used, it show around 18.9 gb of space consumed.
>
> Why is it like that? I hardly installed program around 4 gb along with the
> OS. How much disk space does vista consume?
>
> Thanks,
> swadeep

=?Utf-8?B?anVkeWp1ZHlqdWR5?=

RE: Not Enough Free Space

"swadeep" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have just installed Vista home premium, in my laptop, in a 30 gb
> partition. After installling the OS and some basic software along with office
> 2007, when i see the the space used, it show around 18.9 gb of space consumed.
>
> Why is it like that? I hardly installed program around 4 gb along with the
> OS. How much disk space does vista consume?
>
> Thanks,
> swadeep

=?Utf-8?B?anVkeWp1ZHlqdWR5?=

RE: Not Enough Free Space

"swadeep" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have just installed Vista home premium, in my laptop, in a 30 gb
> partition. After installling the OS and some basic software along with office
> 2007, when i see the the space used, it show around 18.9 gb of space consumed.
>
> Why is it like that? I hardly installed program around 4 gb along with the
> OS. How much disk space does vista consume?
>
> Thanks,
> swadeep

Michael Solomon

Re: Not Enough Free Space
judyjudyjudy wrote:
> "swadeep" wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have just installed Vista home premium, in my laptop, in a 30 gb
>> partition. After installling the OS and some basic software along
>> with office 2007, when i see the the space used, it show around 18.9
>> gb of space consumed.
>>
>> Why is it like that? I hardly installed program around 4 gb along
>> with the OS. How much disk space does vista consume?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> swadeep

Do you do everything in 3's judyjudyudy?<VBG>

Check the paging file as that is a big consumer of space and the other would
be to turn off hibernation if you don't use it as that file can be quite
large. With the pagefile you can allocate less space but don't make it too
small, especially if you have less than 1GB of installed memory. Don't turn
it off eather as, even with a lot of memory, that file does get used and
Windows and some applications look for it as well.

--
Michael Solomon