Screen goes blank after login

=?Utf-8?B?Q0s=?=

Screen goes blank after login
I've upgraded my Dell Precision notebook to Vista with an external monitor
and everytime I boot it up, I get to the login screen, put in the password,
the Windows desktop displays for a second or so and then the screen goes
blank and the monitor comes up with a message that it can't display this
mode.

The only way to get this back is to unplug the VGA connection to the monitor
and then plug it back in.

I'm using an NVIDIA Quadro with driver version 7.15.10.9746
pete

Re: Screen goes blank after login
reset the resolution of the VGA monitor...Might need Vista capable drivers
for video card
peter
"CK" <CK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've upgraded my Dell Precision notebook to Vista with an external monitor
> and everytime I boot it up, I get to the login screen, put in the
> password,
> the Windows desktop displays for a second or so and then the screen goes
> blank and the monitor comes up with a message that it can't display this
> mode.
>
> The only way to get this back is to unplug the VGA connection to the
> monitor
> and then plug it back in.
>
> I'm using an NVIDIA Quadro with driver version 7.15.10.9746

=?Utf-8?B?Q0s=?=

Re: Screen goes blank after login
Thanks Pete.

I do have a Vista compatible driver but have contacted NVidia to see if they
know anything further about this problem...

"pete" wrote:

> reset the resolution of the VGA monitor...Might need Vista capable drivers
> for video card
> peter
> "CK" <CK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've upgraded my Dell Precision notebook to Vista with an external monitor
> > and everytime I boot it up, I get to the login screen, put in the
> > password,
> > the Windows desktop displays for a second or so and then the screen goes
> > blank and the monitor comes up with a message that it can't display this
> > mode.
> >
> > The only way to get this back is to unplug the VGA connection to the
> > monitor
> > and then plug it back in.
> >
> > I'm using an NVIDIA Quadro with driver version 7.15.10.9746

=?Utf-8?B?SnVlcmdlbg==?=

Re: Screen goes blank after login
I have the same kind of problem. I have a Acer Travelmate C310 with Nvidia
GeForce Go 6200. Every time I login to my account, it took 2 or 3 seconds,
then the screen goes blank and comes back again. It seems to me like the
graphic driver is making a reset.
It's very annoying if you have a external monitor pluged in. If I log in,
the screen on the second monitor is okay, but when the screen goes blank and
comes back again the resolution of the external monitor is at 640x480 and not
at the value I have set it to. It is like I have just plugged in the monitor.
Sometimes the notebook screen resolution also goes to 800x600 or to 640x480.
Or Vista tells me, that I has to switch to "Windows Vista-Basic". And when I
am working further on, it goes back to "Windows Aero" by itself.
I have tried different Vista compatible driver versions but there is no
change.

"CK" wrote:

> Thanks Pete.
>
> I do have a Vista compatible driver but have contacted NVidia to see if they
> know anything further about this problem...
>
> "pete" wrote:
>
> > reset the resolution of the VGA monitor...Might need Vista capable drivers
> > for video card
> > peter
> > "CK" <CK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I've upgraded my Dell Precision notebook to Vista with an external monitor
> > > and everytime I boot it up, I get to the login screen, put in the
> > > password,
> > > the Windows desktop displays for a second or so and then the screen goes
> > > blank and the monitor comes up with a message that it can't display this
> > > mode.
> > >
> > > The only way to get this back is to unplug the VGA connection to the
> > > monitor
> > > and then plug it back in.
> > >
> > > I'm using an NVIDIA Quadro with driver version 7.15.10.9746

=?Utf-8?B?Q0s=?=

Re: Screen goes blank after login
Hoping that I've solved this problem - Dell have released a Vista compatible
driver and installing that has made this problem seemingly go away and
sharpened up the image a fair bit on my external screen.