Upgrade Advisor has no Data on ATI X1650 Pro Graphics Card?

totallygreen

Upgrade Advisor has no Data on ATI X1650 Pro Graphics Card?
It's the AGP version and it's supposed to be certified for Windows
Vista and support Windows Aero.

The advisor says under the system tab :
"Your current video card will not support the Windows Aero™ user
experience. Contact your computer manufacturer or retailer to see if
an upgrade is available. Click here for a list of video cards that
support Windows Aero"

The advisor says under the devices tab:
"There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more
information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows
Marketplace, or contact your retailer."

Note: Under the devices tab, it does list the proper name of the
graphics card - Radeon X1650 Series

The reason I'm posting this is because I'm having problems installing
Vista and I before I try again, It would be nice to have the upgrade
advisor tell me their is no problems. Could this be a warning sign
that maybe something is not right on my computer? The card works fine
with Windows XP Pro.

Also, If a piece of hardware says that it is certified for Vista,
shouldn't that mean that the advisor has compatability info? Thanks
for you help. TG

Richard Urban

Re: Upgrade Advisor has no Data on ATI X1650 Pro Graphics Card?
Nothing on the web site gives me a warm fuzzy feeling about that video card
being able to run with Vista.

The site does NOT display the official MS Vista Ready, MS Vista Compatible
or any Official MS logo that it will work with Vista. They have their "own"
logo that says it is.

Under the GPU Specifications Tab all it says that it is "Windows Logo
Program Compliant". What the hell does that mean and what does it tell you.
It tells me nothing.

http://ati.amd.com/products/RadeonX1650/index.html

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"totallygreen" <joelee100@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1171824425.607319.153490@q2g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
[...]

Michael Mastro

Re: Upgrade Advisor has no Data on ATI X1650 Pro Graphics Card?
I am running that exact card and it runs fine for me. No problems with it
yet.

Michael R. Mastro II
"totallygreen" <joelee100@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1171824425.607319.153490@q2g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
It's the AGP version and it's supposed to be certified for Windows
Vista and support Windows Aero.

The advisor says under the system tab :
"Your current video card will not support the Windows AeroT user
[...]

Well I was able to get Vista installed. For the install I removed the
x1650 card and set the bios to use onboard graphics. I also removed
my TV Tuner, second optical drive and also my second hard drive as
well as all the USB stuff.

Maybe it was one of the other pieces of hardware that was originally
giving me install problems.

After Vista was installed, I then added the X1650 Video card and
changed the bios back to AGP graphics. After making the changes in
the bios and connecting my monitor to the X1650...The monitor just
stayed black, but there was plenty of hard drive activity so I just
waited until the hard drive activety stopped.

I then held the power button in and restarted. Now I had graphics,
but I still needed to go to the ATI web site and download the drivers.

So far everything seems to be working fine, but it's only been an
hour.

Also, although the ATI website doesn't really say that the card is
cerified for Vista...The box that the card arrived in does. Here is a
photo of the box from Newegg. The bottom right hand corner says
certified for Vista. I'm not sure if the logo on the box is an
official Microsoft logo or not?
http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggIma...195-031-08.JPG

Thanks for the help. TG

On Feb 18, 6:20 pm, "Michael Mastro" <MikeRM2...@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:
> I am running that exact card and it runs fine for me. No problems with it
> yet.
>
> Michael R. Mastro II"totallygreen" <joelee...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1171824425.607319.153490@q2g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
> It's the AGP version and it's supposed to be certified for Windows
> Vista and support Windows Aero.
>
> The advisor says under the system tab :
> "Your current video card will not support the Windows AeroT user
> experience. Contact your computer manufacturer or retailer to see if
> an upgrade is available. Click here for a list of video cards that
> support Windows Aero"
>
> The advisor says under the devices tab:
> "There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more
> information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows
> Marketplace, or contact your retailer."
>
> Note: Under the devices tab, it does list the proper name of the
> graphics card - Radeon X1650 Series
>
> The reason I'm posting this is because I'm having problems installing
> Vista and I before I try again, It would be nice to have the upgrade
> advisor tell me their is no problems. Could this be a warning sign
> that maybe something is not right on my computer? The card works fine
> with Windows XP Pro.
>
> Also, If a piece of hardware says that it is certified for Vista,
> shouldn't that mean that the advisor has compatability info? Thanks
> for you help. TG

Michael Mastro

Re: Upgrade Advisor has no Data on ATI X1650 Pro Graphics Card?
Sounds strange to have to do it that way. I basically had my card installed
with XP, then just ran the Vista setup and it detected the card right away.
That is kind of disheartening to see that it does it differently.

Michael R. Mastro II
news:1171845783.170047.265440@h3g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...