Downgraded from Dolby Digital to Stereo

Alfred Kaufmann

Downgraded from Dolby Digital to Stereo
I upgraded to Home Premium for a computer I use with my entertainment
system, when it was finished I did not have any audio driver. This
was soon fixed with an update from Nvidia but it is a very crappy
audio driver. I used to have 5.1 Dolby digital with all sorts of
options now I have plain stereo with no mixer options. Does anyone
know if Nvidia will fix this any time soon or do I have to look at
buying a new pci sound card?

Al
Dustin Harper

Re: Downgraded from Dolby Digital to Stereo
Sound cards are not supported too well right now, and a big part is the lack
of support for the 5.1 Digital sound. There are fixes in the works, but so
far nothing solid.

A new PCI sound card probably wouldn't solve the issue right now. Creative,
Soundmax, Realtek are all suffering the same issues. They work, but the
digital audio has some issues.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"Alfred Kaufmann" <al_kaufmann@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I upgraded to Home Premium for a computer I use with my entertainment
> system, when it was finished I did not have any audio driver. This
> was soon fixed with an update from Nvidia but it is a very crappy
> audio driver. I used to have 5.1 Dolby digital with all sorts of
> options now I have plain stereo with no mixer options. Does anyone
> know if Nvidia will fix this any time soon or do I have to look at
> buying a new pci sound card?
>
> Al

BigJim

Re: Downgraded from Dolby Digital to Stereo
I think many of the sound drivers for vista are just the basics, if you want
your 5.1 back you will
probably need xp to do it. Now there may be drivers in the future but there
is a lack of them right now. You need to know exactly what sound card you
have in your system to install new ones.

"Alfred Kaufmann" <al_kaufmann@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I upgraded to Home Premium for a computer I use with my entertainment
> system, when it was finished I did not have any audio driver. This
> was soon fixed with an update from Nvidia but it is a very crappy
> audio driver. I used to have 5.1 Dolby digital with all sorts of
> options now I have plain stereo with no mixer options. Does anyone
> know if Nvidia will fix this any time soon or do I have to look at
> buying a new pci sound card?
>
> Al

Alfred Kaufmann

Re: Downgraded from Dolby Digital to Stereo
I can disable the sound device on the motherboard and buy a good PCI
sound card that has Vista drivers and software. I hear none are
available at the present time. :-(

I could always go back to Windows XP PRO, good sound but then my ATI
TV Tuner does not work. :-(

Al
(Stuck in the Twilight Zone. :-))