Vista Rejected, XP lost DVDRW drives

=?Utf-8?B?UFdG?=

Vista Rejected, XP lost DVDRW drives
First of all the upgrade advisor found no issues with my dvd drives, just an
nforce network device.
I also created a restore point, prior to upgrade and installed all xp
critical updates prior.

After allowing the Vista Ultimate run, I came back to my chair and XP was
back running, told me that it has rolled back to XP because it was unable to
find any DVD drive. Contact to purchase CD's.

I have 2 different DVDRW drives installed and were running fine in XP.
They are now showing a yellow exclamation point on each drive.

AOPEN DUW1616/APR
LITEON DVDRW SOHW-1693S

Obviously I had to have a DVDRW drive to even run the DVD in the first
place, and Upgrade advisory found no problems with either drive.

I am back in XP Pro with no DVDRW drives. Properties on these drives say the
device driver is present but the device is not.

Sytem:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
3GB RAM
Video: GeForce 7600GS
K8N Neo4 Series Main Board

Also, both bios and boot up sequence recognize the drives which are on
secondary master and slave. I have also opened the cpu and unplugged and
replugged the ide ribbons in to the drives.

Any suggestions on getting these drives back up and running on XP and then
hopefully completing a complete VISTA install?

Dominic Payer

Re: Vista Rejected, XP lost DVDRW drives
Uninstall them and see if XP will reinstall them correctly.

Updating the firmware may help Vista to recognise them.

"PWF" <PWF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> First of all the upgrade advisor found no issues with my dvd drives, just
> an
> nforce network device.
> I also created a restore point, prior to upgrade and installed all xp
> critical updates prior.
>
> After allowing the Vista Ultimate run, I came back to my chair and XP was
> back running, told me that it has rolled back to XP because it was unable
> find any DVD drive. Contact to purchase CD's.
>
> I have 2 different DVDRW drives installed and were running fine in XP.
> They are now showing a yellow exclamation point on each drive.
>
> AOPEN DUW1616/APR
> LITEON DVDRW SOHW-1693S
>
> Obviously I had to have a DVDRW drive to even run the DVD in the first
> place, and Upgrade advisory found no problems with either drive.
>
> I am back in XP Pro with no DVDRW drives. Properties on these drives say
> the
> device driver is present but the device is not.
>
> Sytem:
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
> 3GB RAM
> Video: GeForce 7600GS
> K8N Neo4 Series Main Board
>
> Also, both bios and boot up sequence recognize the drives which are on
> secondary master and slave. I have also opened the cpu and unplugged and
> replugged the ide ribbons in to the drives.
>
> Any suggestions on getting these drives back up and running on XP and then
> hopefully completing a complete VISTA install?

John Monahan

Re: Vista Rejected, XP lost DVDRW drives
I think this Vista DVD recognizing problem may be quite common. See a few
postings down/earlier. I have the same problem. The drives were there then
disappear then reappear when I reboot. Do you by any chance have a ASUS P5W
DH motherboard.
Alos on the web at other places I see people have DVD recognition problems
with Vista.
Anybody got a suggestion

"PWF" <PWF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> First of all the upgrade advisor found no issues with my dvd drives, just
> an
> nforce network device.
> I also created a restore point, prior to upgrade and installed all xp
> critical updates prior.
>
> After allowing the Vista Ultimate run, I came back to my chair and XP was
> back running, told me that it has rolled back to XP because it was unable
> find any DVD drive. Contact to purchase CD's.
>
> I have 2 different DVDRW drives installed and were running fine in XP.
> They are now showing a yellow exclamation point on each drive.
>
> AOPEN DUW1616/APR
> LITEON DVDRW SOHW-1693S
>
> Obviously I had to have a DVDRW drive to even run the DVD in the first
> place, and Upgrade advisory found no problems with either drive.
>
> I am back in XP Pro with no DVDRW drives. Properties on these drives say
> the
> device driver is present but the device is not.
>
> Sytem:
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
> 3GB RAM
> Video: GeForce 7600GS
> K8N Neo4 Series Main Board
>
> Also, both bios and boot up sequence recognize the drives which are on
> secondary master and slave. I have also opened the cpu and unplugged and
> replugged the ide ribbons in to the drives.
>
> Any suggestions on getting these drives back up and running on XP and then
> hopefully completing a complete VISTA install?

Dominic Payer

Re: Vista Rejected, XP lost DVDRW drives
Recognition problems usually need either a drive firmware update or a
motherboard BIOS update to resolve.

LG have recently released firmware updates for some of their drives, which
are said to be to improve Vista compatibility.

If motherboard BIOS updates are required, it may be too soon for them to
have been developed. Try the latest BIOS anyway. The problem may have been
resolved as an undocumented fix.

I don't have an ASUS P5W DH myself, but saw a Liteon DVD drive recognition
problem under XP on one a month or so ago which I was unable to resolve.

"John Monahan" <monahan@vitasoft.org> wrote in message
>I think this Vista DVD recognizing problem may be quite common. See a few
>postings down/earlier. I have the same problem. The drives were there then
>disappear then reappear when I reboot. Do you by any chance have a ASUS P5W
>DH motherboard.
> Alos on the web at other places I see people have DVD recognition problems
> with Vista.
> Anybody got a suggestion
>

> "PWF" <PWF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> First of all the upgrade advisor found no issues with my dvd drives, just
>> an
>> nforce network device.
>> I also created a restore point, prior to upgrade and installed all xp
>> critical updates prior.
>>
>> After allowing the Vista Ultimate run, I came back to my chair and XP was
>> back running, told me that it has rolled back to XP because it was unable
>> find any DVD drive. Contact to purchase CD's.
>>
>> I have 2 different DVDRW drives installed and were running fine in XP.
>> They are now showing a yellow exclamation point on each drive.
>>
>> AOPEN DUW1616/APR
>> LITEON DVDRW SOHW-1693S
>>
>> Obviously I had to have a DVDRW drive to even run the DVD in the first
>> place, and Upgrade advisory found no problems with either drive.
>>
>> I am back in XP Pro with no DVDRW drives. Properties on these drives say
>> the
>> device driver is present but the device is not.
>>
>> Sytem:
>> AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
>> 3GB RAM
>> Video: GeForce 7600GS
>> K8N Neo4 Series Main Board
>>
>> Also, both bios and boot up sequence recognize the drives which are on
>> secondary master and slave. I have also opened the cpu and unplugged and
>> replugged the ide ribbons in to the drives.
>>
>> Any suggestions on getting these drives back up and running on XP and
>> then
>> hopefully completing a complete VISTA install?

=?Utf-8?B?UFdG?=

Re: Vista Rejected, XP lost DVDRW drives
Ok, first of all I do not have any asus products.
I did however, uninstall both dvd drives, rebooted and device manager is
showing them as running properly. But, my computer shows no dvd drives just
my hardrives and other drives.
I went to the MSI bios upgrade site and the bios update is for post screen
fix, I believe nothing new to update that would update bios and pertain to
this situation.
I went to the Aopen site and the Liteon site and downloaded the latest
firmware updates but I can not install them because they say no device is
installed on this computer. Hmmm.
Can't upgrade firmware, can't access drives. What did Vista DO? need more
help.
These drives were running fine prior to the VISTA failed upgrade.

Please help!!!

"Dominic Payer" wrote:

> Recognition problems usually need either a drive firmware update or a
> motherboard BIOS update to resolve.
>
> LG have recently released firmware updates for some of their drives, which
> are said to be to improve Vista compatibility.
>
> If motherboard BIOS updates are required, it may be too soon for them to
> have been developed. Try the latest BIOS anyway. The problem may have been
> resolved as an undocumented fix.
>
> I don't have an ASUS P5W DH myself, but saw a Liteon DVD drive recognition
> problem under XP on one a month or so ago which I was unable to resolve.
>

> "John Monahan" <monahan@vitasoft.org> wrote in message
> >I think this Vista DVD recognizing problem may be quite common. See a few
> >postings down/earlier. I have the same problem. The drives were there then
> >disappear then reappear when I reboot. Do you by any chance have a ASUS P5W
> >DH motherboard.
> > Alos on the web at other places I see people have DVD recognition problems
> > with Vista.
> > Anybody got a suggestion
> >

> > "PWF" <PWF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> First of all the upgrade advisor found no issues with my dvd drives, just
> >> an
> >> nforce network device.
> >> I also created a restore point, prior to upgrade and installed all xp
> >> critical updates prior.
> >>
> >> After allowing the Vista Ultimate run, I came back to my chair and XP was
> >> back running, told me that it has rolled back to XP because it was unable
> >> find any DVD drive. Contact to purchase CD's.
> >>
> >> I have 2 different DVDRW drives installed and were running fine in XP.
> >> They are now showing a yellow exclamation point on each drive.
> >>
> >> AOPEN DUW1616/APR
> >> LITEON DVDRW SOHW-1693S
> >>
> >> Obviously I had to have a DVDRW drive to even run the DVD in the first
> >> place, and Upgrade advisory found no problems with either drive.
> >>
> >> I am back in XP Pro with no DVDRW drives. Properties on these drives say
> >> the
> >> device driver is present but the device is not.
> >>
> >> Sytem:
> >> AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
> >> 3GB RAM
> >> Video: GeForce 7600GS
> >> K8N Neo4 Series Main Board
> >>
> >> Also, both bios and boot up sequence recognize the drives which are on
> >> secondary master and slave. I have also opened the cpu and unplugged and
> >> replugged the ide ribbons in to the drives.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions on getting these drives back up and running on XP and
> >> then
> >> hopefully completing a complete VISTA install?

=?Utf-8?B?UFdG?=

RE: Vista Rejected, XP lost DVDRW drives
OK!! I think tthe problem is solved!! I followed instructions on another post
and deleted the lower filters value in regedit,, there were no upper filters
values,,, I followed instructions on the following post:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...130426&m=1&p=1

It did say you might loose some functionality... Don't know yet! Now I am
going to proceed to upgrade to Vista Ultimate. wish me luck!!

thanks for your help and replies... I'll let you know how it goes in this
post or maybe another if another problem occurs...
Thanks again, PWF

"PWF" wrote:

> First of all the upgrade advisor found no issues with my dvd drives, just an
> nforce network device.
> I also created a restore point, prior to upgrade and installed all xp
> critical updates prior.
>
> After allowing the Vista Ultimate run, I came back to my chair and XP was
> back running, told me that it has rolled back to XP because it was unable to
> find any DVD drive. Contact to purchase CD's.
>
> I have 2 different DVDRW drives installed and were running fine in XP.
> They are now showing a yellow exclamation point on each drive.
>
> AOPEN DUW1616/APR
> LITEON DVDRW SOHW-1693S
>
> Obviously I had to have a DVDRW drive to even run the DVD in the first
> place, and Upgrade advisory found no problems with either drive.
>
> I am back in XP Pro with no DVDRW drives. Properties on these drives say the
> device driver is present but the device is not.
>
> Sytem:
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
> 3GB RAM
> Video: GeForce 7600GS
> K8N Neo4 Series Main Board
>
> Also, both bios and boot up sequence recognize the drives which are on
> secondary master and slave. I have also opened the cpu and unplugged and
> replugged the ide ribbons in to the drives.
>
> Any suggestions on getting these drives back up and running on XP and then
> hopefully completing a complete VISTA install?

=?Utf-8?B?UFdG?=

RE: Vista Rejected, XP lost DVDRW drives
Well, It wasn't pretty,, no luck. seemed to work fine until the end. It went
into a physical dump sequence, said something about a usb problem?? Rolled
back to XP. but would not go all the way,, needed my keyboard... which is a
cordless bluetooth. ,must not have recognized it. Had to borrow a neighbors
corded keyboard and hope it would continue to roll back to XP which it did,,
thank God.. Another good thing is that the DVD drives are listed however..
What a bummer. maybe I have to many devices connected... about 8-10 usb
devices connected to hubs runnning printers, scanners keyboard, card reader,
etc.. Wonder if I shoud lessin the load for Vista? and try an install with
a corded keyboard. Funny thing is I have the patience, I'm sure many others
would not.

I wonder if I can get my money back?? and wait till the dust settles for
Vista,, I am not a Mac person by no means but Things are looking mighty
tempting at this point.

Well if anyone would like to help me get VISTA up and running that would be
outstanding,, otherwise I would have to try to get my money back or
something..

Thanks for your response in advance.
PWF

"PWF" wrote:

> First of all the upgrade advisor found no issues with my dvd drives, just an
> nforce network device.
> I also created a restore point, prior to upgrade and installed all xp
> critical updates prior.
>
> After allowing the Vista Ultimate run, I came back to my chair and XP was
> back running, told me that it has rolled back to XP because it was unable to
> find any DVD drive. Contact to purchase CD's.
>
> I have 2 different DVDRW drives installed and were running fine in XP.
> They are now showing a yellow exclamation point on each drive.
>
> AOPEN DUW1616/APR
> LITEON DVDRW SOHW-1693S
>
> Obviously I had to have a DVDRW drive to even run the DVD in the first
> place, and Upgrade advisory found no problems with either drive.
>
> I am back in XP Pro with no DVDRW drives. Properties on these drives say the
> device driver is present but the device is not.
>
> Sytem:
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
> 3GB RAM
> Video: GeForce 7600GS
> K8N Neo4 Series Main Board
>
> Also, both bios and boot up sequence recognize the drives which are on
> secondary master and slave. I have also opened the cpu and unplugged and
> replugged the ide ribbons in to the drives.
>
> Any suggestions on getting these drives back up and running on XP and then
> hopefully completing a complete VISTA install?

=?Utf-8?B?d2hpd28=?=

RE: Vista Rejected, XP lost DVDRW drives
Check out my post at the end of CD/DVD Drive Issues...this will resolve your
problem. Oh, and for your bluetooth keyboard, when you want to boot to
CD/DVD Rom, go into your BIOS first and enable the "Legacy USB" drive. This
allows your keyboard to be recognized when rebooting...yeah it's slower but
it works.

Good Luck!

Whiwo