Lacie Biggest f800 a boat anchor following Vista installation

=?Utf-8?B?RmVzdGVy?=

Lacie Biggest f800 a boat anchor following Vista installation
I have a 2TB Lacie Biggest f800 external RAID array configured as RAID 5 and
connected via 1394a to a Dell 2010.
Today I installed the retail verion of Windows Vista Ultimate, and teh drive
is not functional. The device is seen by the OS (visible in device manager,
no installation errors), but none of the 4 partions/volumes/filesystems (all
nfts) on the device are mounted/visible. The device soes not show up in the
storage plugin in the management console. This occurs whether it is connected
via 1394a or USB2.0.

I tried a registry hack from the KB for devices that did not enumerate, but
it made no difference.

If I take the device to a machine running XP SP2, it works fine.

Thoughts? Ideas? My whole life is on that RAID array!!!

Malke

Re: Lacie Biggest f800 a boat anchor following Vista installation
Fester wrote:
> I have a 2TB Lacie Biggest f800 external RAID array configured as RAID 5 and
> connected via 1394a to a Dell 2010.
> Today I installed the retail verion of Windows Vista Ultimate, and teh drive
> is not functional. The device is seen by the OS (visible in device manager,
> no installation errors), but none of the 4 partions/volumes/filesystems (all
> nfts) on the device are mounted/visible. The device soes not show up in the
> storage plugin in the management console. This occurs whether it is connected
> via 1394a or USB2.0.
>
> I tried a registry hack from the KB for devices that did not enumerate, but
> it made no difference.
>
> If I take the device to a machine running XP SP2, it works fine.
>
> Thoughts? Ideas? My whole life is on that RAID array!!!

Someone who is lucky enough to have that hardware may have the answer
for you (and I am not that person and I'm sorry), but I'd immediately
call Lacie tech support.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
emanon

Re: Lacie Biggest f800 a boat anchor following Vista installation
During install does Vista prompt you to install additional drivers at some
point? If none are available, which I'm willing to bet

Cha-Ching! Hear the cash register ring!

You gotta buy new hardware!

> Fester wrote:
>> I have a 2TB Lacie Biggest f800 external RAID array configured as RAID 5
>> and connected via 1394a to a Dell 2010.
>> Today I installed the retail verion of Windows Vista Ultimate, and teh
>> drive is not functional. The device is seen by the OS (visible in device
>> manager, no installation errors), but none of the 4
>> partions/volumes/filesystems (all nfts) on the device are
>> mounted/visible. The device soes not show up in the storage plugin in the
>> management console. This occurs whether it is connected via 1394a or
>> USB2.0.
>>
>> I tried a registry hack from the KB for devices that did not enumerate,
>> but it made no difference.
>>
>> If I take the device to a machine running XP SP2, it works fine.
>>
>> Thoughts? Ideas? My whole life is on that RAID array!!!
>>

> Someone who is lucky enough to have that hardware may have the answer for
> you (and I am not that person and I'm sorry), but I'd immediately call
> Lacie tech support.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?RmVzdGVy?=

RE: Lacie Biggest f800 a boat anchor following Vista installation

Malke,

I will call Lacie, as soon as they are open for business (Tuesday 20th Feb).
However, I don't havve high expectations. As a friend of mine says, they are
more like a company that makes microwave ovens than a computer IHV.

Emanon,

There is no driver which is unique to this device -- all of the drivers are
for chipsets, etc., or are part of the OS. Besides, this doesn't look like a
driver problem; the device shows up in device manager just fine. It looks
like maybe a file system problem to me.

Fester wrote:
> Malke,
>
> I will call Lacie, as soon as they are open for business (Tuesday 20th Feb).
> However, I don't havve high expectations. As a friend of mine says, they are
> more like a company that makes microwave ovens than a computer IHV.
>
> Emanon,
>
> There is no driver which is unique to this device -- all of the drivers are
> for chipsets, etc., or are part of the OS. Besides, this doesn't look like a
> driver problem; the device shows up in device manager just fine. It looks
> like maybe a file system problem to me.

Maybe a firmware update?

Malke