Whats the deal with Nvidia 8 series drivers?

Lunarik

Whats the deal with Nvidia 8 series drivers?
Graphics: two 8800gtx(running SLI)
OS: Vista Ultimate 32-bit
CPU: Intel core 2 extreme(quad core)
RAM: 4g
Display: 22" wide-screen with native resolution of 1920x1080(using DVI cable)

Problem: I have been having problems with my Nvidia drivers. Randomly when
playing a game or doing anything my screen will input on/off over and off.

My problem is akin to a lot of the the other posts here, however none of
them have seemed to help me in any way. When I first installed Vista and it
did its automatic updates it installed the graphics driver automatically. I
then went to the Nvidia site and downloaded their drivers and installed them.
Now Vista will download the newest drivers for my card, but when it gets to
the install stage it says failed. It then sends me an error code that is
related to my internet connection, although the drivers downloaded.

So my question to you are; Are the drivers Vista install or the drivers from
the Nvidia site causing these problems? If it is neither, then is there
something I am doing wrong? Should I play it safe and just let vista update
and not deal with finding the drivers myself?

What do I need to do to make this problem stop?

I am willing to supply any additional information if need be.
JW

Re: Whats the deal with Nvidia 8 series drivers?
The symptom you describe is more likely from a faulty card or cable/cable
connection. DVI connections can caused problems. Make sure when you tighten
down the connector you take a turn or turn on each side and then do the same
for the other side otherwise the connector may install crocked if you
tighten one end all the way before you tighten the other end.
The latest Vista drivers are the ones at the NVIDIA Website and are the
162.22 drivers. New NVIDIA drivers always appear at the NVIDIA Website
before MS also starts shipping them with Win Update.
Also you might try just using one 8800 card at a time to make sure they are
both working correctly.
Also if the problem normally happens under high activity you may have an
underrated power supply.\

"Lunarik" <Lunarik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news7054D7A-4ADE-44FB-8662-BAF228CF2C76@microsoft.com...
> Graphics: two 8800gtx(running SLI)
> OS: Vista Ultimate 32-bit
> CPU: Intel core 2 extreme(quad core)
> RAM: 4g
> Display: 22" wide-screen with native resolution of 1920x1080(using DVI
> cable)
>

> Problem: I have been having problems with my Nvidia drivers. Randomly when
> playing a game or doing anything my screen will input on/off over and off.
>
> My problem is akin to a lot of the the other posts here, however none of
> them have seemed to help me in any way. When I first installed Vista and
> it
> did its automatic updates it installed the graphics driver automatically.
> then went to the Nvidia site and downloaded their drivers and installed
> them.
> Now Vista will download the newest drivers for my card, but when it gets
> the install stage it says failed. It then sends me an error code that is
> related to my internet connection, although the drivers downloaded.
>
> So my question to you are; Are the drivers Vista install or the drivers
> from
> the Nvidia site causing these problems? If it is neither, then is there
> something I am doing wrong? Should I play it safe and just let vista
> update
> and not deal with finding the drivers myself?
>
> What do I need to do to make this problem stop?
>
> I am willing to supply any additional information if need be.

Cal Bear '66

Re: Whats the deal with Nvidia 8 series drivers?
I would NOT let Windows Update install your nVidia drivers (they are usually
outdated by the time Microsoft gets them). In Windows Update, details window,
right click and select HIDE.

Download the latest drivers from nVidia. Uninstall the old drivers in Device
Manager, check the box to remove driver files AND the nVidia Control Panel (in
Control Panel -Classic view- > Programs and Features), REBOOT, and install the
downloaded nVidia drivers.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Lunarik" <Lunarik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news7054D7A-4ADE-44FB-8662-BAF228CF2C76@microsoft.com...
> Graphics: two 8800gtx(running SLI)
> OS: Vista Ultimate 32-bit
> CPU: Intel core 2 extreme(quad core)
> RAM: 4g
> Display: 22" wide-screen with native resolution of 1920x1080(using DVI cable)
>

> Problem: I have been having problems with my Nvidia drivers. Randomly when
> playing a game or doing anything my screen will input on/off over and off.
>
> My problem is akin to a lot of the the other posts here, however none of
> them have seemed to help me in any way. When I first installed Vista and it
> did its automatic updates it installed the graphics driver automatically. I
> then went to the Nvidia site and downloaded their drivers and installed them.
> Now Vista will download the newest drivers for my card, but when it gets to
> the install stage it says failed. It then sends me an error code that is
> related to my internet connection, although the drivers downloaded.
>
> So my question to you are; Are the drivers Vista install or the drivers from
> the Nvidia site causing these problems? If it is neither, then is there
> something I am doing wrong? Should I play it safe and just let vista update
> and not deal with finding the drivers myself?
>
> What do I need to do to make this problem stop?
>
> I am willing to supply any additional information if need be.

Shwoarma

"Lunarik" wrote:

> Graphics: two 8800gtx(running SLI)
> OS: Vista Ultimate 32-bit
> CPU: Intel core 2 extreme(quad core)
> RAM: 4g
> Display: 22" wide-screen with native resolution of 1920x1080(using DVI cable)
>

> Problem: I have been having problems with my Nvidia drivers. Randomly when
> playing a game or doing anything my screen will input on/off over and off.
>
> My problem is akin to a lot of the the other posts here, however none of
> them have seemed to help me in any way. When I first installed Vista and it
> did its automatic updates it installed the graphics driver automatically. I
> then went to the Nvidia site and downloaded their drivers and installed them.
> Now Vista will download the newest drivers for my card, but when it gets to
> the install stage it says failed. It then sends me an error code that is
> related to my internet connection, although the drivers downloaded.
>
> So my question to you are; Are the drivers Vista install or the drivers from
> the Nvidia site causing these problems? If it is neither, then is there
> something I am doing wrong? Should I play it safe and just let vista update
> and not deal with finding the drivers myself?
>
> What do I need to do to make this problem stop?
>
> I am willing to supply any additional information if need be.

The 162.22 drivers you refer have introduced a new problem "driver stopped
responding and recovered" when this occurs the screen goes black for a
second, recovers or you move the mouse and nothing happens then a yellow
triangle appears bottom right with the text: "driver stopped responding and
recovered". The system loops and needs to be restarted (error continues and
gap between errors gets shorter until BSOD). This occurs with all the 16X.XX
series and seems to affect mainly SLi users but I do know of a handfull that
have it that are non SLi. Also seems to occur with Aero interface on and
transparency on (the nice effects with vista). Nvidia are aware and are
working on a fix.

In the mean time try these drivers the are apparently the most stable, no
errors and work with DX10:

For 32 bit:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_158.45.html

For 64 bit:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_158.45.html

Hope they help you

Wayne

Re: Whats the deal with Nvidia 8 series drivers?
"Lunarik" <Lunarik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news7054D7A-4ADE-44FB-8662-BAF228CF2C76@microsoft.com...
> Graphics: two 8800gtx(running SLI)
> OS: Vista Ultimate 32-bit
> CPU: Intel core 2 extreme(quad core)
> RAM: 4g
> Display: 22" wide-screen with native resolution of 1920x1080(using DVI
> cable)
>

> Problem: I have been having problems with my Nvidia drivers. Randomly when
> playing a game or doing anything my screen will input on/off over and off.
>
> My problem is akin to a lot of the the other posts here, however none of
> them have seemed to help me in any way. When I first installed Vista and
> it
> did its automatic updates it installed the graphics driver automatically.
> then went to the Nvidia site and downloaded their drivers and installed
> them.
> Now Vista will download the newest drivers for my card, but when it gets
> the install stage it says failed. It then sends me an error code that is
> related to my internet connection, although the drivers downloaded.
>
> So my question to you are; Are the drivers Vista install or the drivers
> from
> the Nvidia site causing these problems? If it is neither, then is there
> something I am doing wrong? Should I play it safe and just let vista
> update
> and not deal with finding the drivers myself?
>
> What do I need to do to make this problem stop?
>
> I am willing to supply any additional information if need be.

Here are better drivers, although still in beta:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_163.11.html

Wayne

Shwoarma

"Wayne" wrote:

> "Lunarik" <Lunarik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news7054D7A-4ADE-44FB-8662-BAF228CF2C76@microsoft.com...
> > Graphics: two 8800gtx(running SLI)
> > OS: Vista Ultimate 32-bit
> > CPU: Intel core 2 extreme(quad core)
> > RAM: 4g
> > Display: 22" wide-screen with native resolution of 1920x1080(using DVI
> > cable)
> >

> > Problem: I have been having problems with my Nvidia drivers. Randomly when
> > playing a game or doing anything my screen will input on/off over and off.
> >
> > My problem is akin to a lot of the the other posts here, however none of
> > them have seemed to help me in any way. When I first installed Vista and
> > it
> > did its automatic updates it installed the graphics driver automatically.
> > then went to the Nvidia site and downloaded their drivers and installed
> > them.
> > Now Vista will download the newest drivers for my card, but when it gets
> > the install stage it says failed. It then sends me an error code that is
> > related to my internet connection, although the drivers downloaded.
> >
> > So my question to you are; Are the drivers Vista install or the drivers
> > from
> > the Nvidia site causing these problems? If it is neither, then is there
> > something I am doing wrong? Should I play it safe and just let vista
> > update
> > and not deal with finding the drivers myself?
> >
> > What do I need to do to make this problem stop?
> >
> > I am willing to supply any additional information if need be.

> Here are better drivers, although still in beta:
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_163.11.html
>

> Wayne

These drivers have the same problems as 162.22 at present all the drivers
from nvidia 162.22 and 163.11 have the same problem. If anything the 163.11's
are worse for the problem than 162.22.

There is a long topic on the SLi zone forums that state the problems many
users are having. Even they recomend the 158.45's until Nvidia fix the
problem.

Another forum here:
http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion...5381-1550.html runs to 44
pages of people all still having the same problem.

As I said earlier use 158.45 until next update.
Wayne

"Shwoarma" <Shwoarma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> These drivers have the same problems as 162.22 at present all the drivers
> from nvidia 162.22 and 163.11 have the same problem. If anything the
> 163.11's
> are worse for the problem than 162.22.
>
> There is a long topic on the SLi zone forums that state the problems many
> users are having. Even they recomend the 158.45's until Nvidia fix the
> problem.
>
> Another forum here:
> http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion...5381-1550.html runs to 44
> pages of people all still having the same problem.
>
> As I said earlier use 158.45 until next update.

Thanks. The only nVidia card I have is in my brothers computer, and it is
an 6200 agp card.

Wayne

Lunarik

"Shwoarma" wrote:

> "Lunarik" wrote:
>
> > Graphics: two 8800gtx(running SLI)
> > OS: Vista Ultimate 32-bit
> > CPU: Intel core 2 extreme(quad core)
> > RAM: 4g
> > Display: 22" wide-screen with native resolution of 1920x1080(using DVI cable)
> >

> > Problem: I have been having problems with my Nvidia drivers. Randomly when
> > playing a game or doing anything my screen will input on/off over and off.
> >
> > My problem is akin to a lot of the the other posts here, however none of
> > them have seemed to help me in any way. When I first installed Vista and it
> > did its automatic updates it installed the graphics driver automatically. I
> > then went to the Nvidia site and downloaded their drivers and installed them.
> > Now Vista will download the newest drivers for my card, but when it gets to
> > the install stage it says failed. It then sends me an error code that is
> > related to my internet connection, although the drivers downloaded.
> >
> > So my question to you are; Are the drivers Vista install or the drivers from
> > the Nvidia site causing these problems? If it is neither, then is there
> > something I am doing wrong? Should I play it safe and just let vista update
> > and not deal with finding the drivers myself?
> >
> > What do I need to do to make this problem stop?
> >
> > I am willing to supply any additional information if need be.

> The 162.22 drivers you refer have introduced a new problem "driver stopped
> responding and recovered" when this occurs the screen goes black for a
> second, recovers or you move the mouse and nothing happens then a yellow
> triangle appears bottom right with the text: "driver stopped responding and
> recovered". The system loops and needs to be restarted (error continues and
> gap between errors gets shorter until BSOD). This occurs with all the 16X.XX
> series and seems to affect mainly SLi users but I do know of a handfull that
> have it that are non SLi. Also seems to occur with Aero interface on and
> transparency on (the nice effects with vista). Nvidia are aware and are
> working on a fix.
>
> In the mean time try these drivers the are apparently the most stable, no
> errors and work with DX10:
>
> For 32 bit:
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_158.45.html
>
> For 64 bit:
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_158.45.html
>
> Hope they help you

Yes, it fixed the problem, those drivers along with following Cal Bear's
uninstall instructions made things so much easier. So far the same problem
hasn't occurred yet, and probably won't if it hasn't already.

Although they are old drivers they are working fine and I don't see any
performance drop at all. Index score is still at 5.9 and everything. I
appreciate the help since I just built this computer and I didn't much enjoy
this unsightly problem.

Hopefully Nvidia comes out with some reliable drivers soon. Until then I'll
stick with these.

Thanks a ton for the help.