Motherboard Dead?

seeks

Motherboard Dead?
Hi, any help here would be most welcome.
I have Medion MD 8820 Entertainment PC, Intel Pentium D processor 915 dual
core), MSI P4M890M Mobo, Nvidia Ge Force 7300 se graphics 128MB memory with
DVI-1, D-Sub VGA and TV-out supports up to 384mg graphics mem, Nvidia
turbocache technolgy, 1GB DDR2 SDRAM with 533 MHz 64bit, LG Multiformat
CD/DVD Burner 250GB SATA hard drive 8mb cache. Running Vista Home Premium.
The question is What has Killed the mobo?.
The system has been running fine been using it for digital TV / graphics
/music etc no probs. burnt dvd's etc with Nero 7 Essentials no prob.
I recorded a TV prog through media centre, set it to burn through
med/cen/Nero at some point the mobo died Total!, Engineer came "dead mobo"
replaced it, ok fine everything running ok.
I have some AVI film files on the machine which I downloaded through a
file sharing program just before the first mobo died, try'd to burn another
AVI file NOT one of the downloads, and yes! same thing happend The Nero app
was converting the file ready to burn, when the power button clicked, PC
powered down Totally Dead, PSU is OK tested it. Question is, is this a
possible Virus ?? if so then It's a new mobo , hard drive and a new copy of
Vista Premium. Any comments or sugestions I thank you for In advance
Thank you for your Time.
jabloomf1230

Re: Motherboard Dead?
Although, you can constantly find items on the Internet, where people
claim that some piece of software wrecked their hardware, it seems like
the vast majority of these "connections" have no basis in fact. Your MB
probably just failed, just like mine did a few months ago. Hardware does
die, even with good case ventilation or no overclocking.

Now, if you have the MB replaced and it dies again under the exact same
circumstances, then you could be a little more confident that it is a
reproducible problem caused by software. But I bet it won't happen.

seeks wrote:
> Hi, any help here would be most welcome.
> I have Medion MD 8820 Entertainment PC, Intel Pentium D processor 915 dual
> core), MSI P4M890M Mobo, Nvidia Ge Force 7300 se graphics 128MB memory with
> DVI-1, D-Sub VGA and TV-out supports up to 384mg graphics mem, Nvidia
> turbocache technolgy, 1GB DDR2 SDRAM with 533 MHz 64bit, LG Multiformat
> CD/DVD Burner 250GB SATA hard drive 8mb cache. Running Vista Home Premium.
> The question is What has Killed the mobo?.
> The system has been running fine been using it for digital TV / graphics
> /music etc no probs. burnt dvd's etc with Nero 7 Essentials no prob.
> I recorded a TV prog through media centre, set it to burn through
> med/cen/Nero at some point the mobo died Total!, Engineer came "dead mobo"
> replaced it, ok fine everything running ok.
> I have some AVI film files on the machine which I downloaded through a
> file sharing program just before the first mobo died, try'd to burn another
> AVI file NOT one of the downloads, and yes! same thing happend The Nero app
> was converting the file ready to burn, when the power button clicked, PC
> powered down Totally Dead, PSU is OK tested it. Question is, is this a
> possible Virus ?? if so then It's a new mobo , hard drive and a new copy of
> Vista Premium. Any comments or sugestions I thank you for In advance
> Thank you for your Time.

seeks

Re: Motherboard Dead?
Firstly thanks for your reply Jabloomf,
Did you read my post al the way through?, as you do seem to agree with
what Iv'e been thinking. The first Mobo, only 5 mths old died while burning
a Dvd, yes take your point these things happen, Mobo was replaced exact
same type of board / by the way did not need to reactivate Vista \ 2 days
later tried to burn a Dvd exact same thing happend, this is what leads me to
think some kind of Virus/rootkit. One thing forgot to mention in first post
was, that this software allows you to preview downloads, but then puts them
in a folder named "incomplete" in your documents, could open any of my
folders Docs/Pics/music etc no probs but this one "incomplete" crashed IE at
every attempt to open it, I ended up deleting the contents from the fly out
menu on the Vista desk top, after that it was stable you could open it albiet
it was empty.
It does seem however that I will need to replace all the parts mentoined ,
a heavy price for me could take me a mnth or 2 to do this , A lesson learnt
here somwhere I think.
Any further comments or suggestions would be welcome.
thank you again for reply.

"jabloomf1230" wrote:

> Although, you can constantly find items on the Internet, where people
> claim that some piece of software wrecked their hardware, it seems like
> the vast majority of these "connections" have no basis in fact. Your MB
> probably just failed, just like mine did a few months ago. Hardware does
> die, even with good case ventilation or no overclocking.
>
> Now, if you have the MB replaced and it dies again under the exact same
> circumstances, then you could be a little more confident that it is a
> reproducible problem caused by software. But I bet it won't happen.
>
> seeks wrote:
> > Hi, any help here would be most welcome.
> > I have Medion MD 8820 Entertainment PC, Intel Pentium D processor 915 dual
> > core), MSI P4M890M Mobo, Nvidia Ge Force 7300 se graphics 128MB memory with
> > DVI-1, D-Sub VGA and TV-out supports up to 384mg graphics mem, Nvidia
> > turbocache technolgy, 1GB DDR2 SDRAM with 533 MHz 64bit, LG Multiformat
> > CD/DVD Burner 250GB SATA hard drive 8mb cache. Running Vista Home Premium.
> > The question is What has Killed the mobo?.
> > The system has been running fine been using it for digital TV / graphics
> > /music etc no probs. burnt dvd's etc with Nero 7 Essentials no prob.
> > I recorded a TV prog through media centre, set it to burn through
> > med/cen/Nero at some point the mobo died Total!, Engineer came "dead mobo"
> > replaced it, ok fine everything running ok.
> > I have some AVI film files on the machine which I downloaded through a
> > file sharing program just before the first mobo died, try'd to burn another
> > AVI file NOT one of the downloads, and yes! same thing happend The Nero app
> > was converting the file ready to burn, when the power button clicked, PC
> > powered down Totally Dead, PSU is OK tested it. Question is, is this a
> > possible Virus ?? if so then It's a new mobo , hard drive and a new copy of
> > Vista Premium. Any comments or sugestions I thank you for In advance
> > Thank you for your Time.

Kerry Brown

Re: Motherboard Dead?
I don't see how you came to the conclusion that a virus or rootkit kit was
to blame. The only thing in common with both failures was that you were
trying to burn a DVD. I would suspect one of two things - a defective DVD
drive or a defective or weak power supply. How did you test the PSU? Is it
rated to handle everything you have installed?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"seeks" <seeks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > I recorded a TV prog through media centre, set it to burn through
>> > med/cen/Nero at some point the mobo died Total!, Engineer came "dead
>> > mobo"
>> > replaced it, ok fine everything running ok.
>> > I have some AVI film files on the machine which I downloaded through
>> > file sharing program just before the first mobo died, try'd to burn
>> > another
>> > AVI file NOT one of the downloads, and yes! same thing happend The
>> > Nero app
>> > was converting the file ready to burn, when the power button clicked,
>> > PC
>> > powered down Totally Dead, PSU is OK tested it. Question is, is this a
>> > possible Virus ?? if so then It's a new mobo , hard drive and a new
>> > copy of
>> > Vista Premium. Any comments or sugestions I thank you for In advance

Peter M

Re: Motherboard Dead?
I'm also betting its the PSU. Unless you tested with a $1000 load tester,
saying it's okay is false. Most pre-built system come with poor PSU's and a
low tier companay like Medion is probably using PSU's you can pick up at
computer fairs for 10bux. Try borrow a good psu from someone you know before
declaring it's all dead.