Super Slow USB2 and Firewire

secretagent_007

Super Slow USB2 and Firewire
Problem: External drives with either a USB 2.0 or Firewire connection are
transferring files at a measly 6 MB/sec. That's megabytes, not bits. It's
taking hours and hours to back up some video files and that shouldn't be the
case. No error messages - just really slow transfer speeds through USB and
1394.

Tried solutions: I made sure the mobo supports USB2, naturally. I made sure
USB2 and 1394 were enabled in the system BIOS. I've updated the USB drivers
(Vista tells me the current ones were up to date). The external disks have no
drivers themselves - just plain old USB2 and Firewire. Downloaded the most
recent system drivers for my Intel motherboard. Tried different devices and
different cables. None of this has made any bit of difference at all.

Whether I'm using the firewire connection or the USB2 connection, I can only
copy files to the drives at 6 MB/sec - it should be in the neighborhood of
25-50MB/sec! I'm thinking this is an OS problem since both of the connections
are running at exactly the same speed (for accuracy's sake, ~6.15 MB/sec at
the most). This never happened on XP; I'm feeling a little like I got hosed.
Real bad.
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Super Slow USB2 and Firewire
Restart your computer, then download and install the
following updates:

An update is available that improves the compatibility
and reliability of Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938194

An update is available that improves the performance
and reliability of Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938979

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"secretagent_007" wrote:

[...]

A noble effort, but sadly didn't do the trick. Still going between 5-6MB/sec
on USB2 and 1394. Anything else I should try?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Restart your computer, then download and install the
> following updates:
>
> An update is available that improves the compatibility
> and reliability of Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938194
>
> An update is available that improves the performance
> and reliability of Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938979
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "secretagent_007" wrote:
>
> Problem: External drives with either a USB 2.0 or Firewire connection are
> transferring files at a measly 6 MB/sec. That's megabytes, not bits. It's
> taking hours and hours to back up some video files and that shouldn't be the
> case. No error messages - just really slow transfer speeds through USB and
> 1394.
>
> Tried solutions: I made sure the mobo supports USB2, naturally. I made sure
> USB2 and 1394 were enabled in the system BIOS. I've updated the USB drivers
> (Vista tells me the current ones were up to date). The external disks have no
> drivers themselves - just plain old USB2 and Firewire. Downloaded the most
> recent system drivers for my Intel motherboard. Tried different devices and
> different cables. None of this has made any bit of difference at all.
>
> Whether I'm using the firewire connection or the USB2 connection, I can only
> copy files to the drives at 6 MB/sec - it should be in the neighborhood of
> 25-50MB/sec! I'm thinking this is an OS problem since both of the connections
> are running at exactly the same speed (for accuracy's sake, ~6.15 MB/sec at
> the most). This never happened on XP; I'm feeling a little like I got hosed.
> Real bad.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Super Slow USB2 and Firewire
Cumulative update rollup for Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936003/en-us

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Restart your computer, then download and install the
> following updates:
>
> An update is available that improves the compatibility
> and reliability of Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938194
>
> An update is available that improves the performance
> and reliability of Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938979
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "secretagent_007" wrote:
>
> Problem: External drives with either a USB 2.0 or Firewire connection are
> transferring files at a measly 6 MB/sec. That's megabytes, not bits. It's
> taking hours and hours to back up some video files and that shouldn't be the
> case. No error messages - just really slow transfer speeds through USB and
> 1394.
>
> Tried solutions: I made sure the mobo supports USB2, naturally. I made sure
> USB2 and 1394 were enabled in the system BIOS. I've updated the USB drivers
> (Vista tells me the current ones were up to date). The external disks have no
> drivers themselves - just plain old USB2 and Firewire. Downloaded the most
> recent system drivers for my Intel motherboard. Tried different devices and
> different cables. None of this has made any bit of difference at all.
>
> Whether I'm using the firewire connection or the USB2 connection, I can only
> copy files to the drives at 6 MB/sec - it should be in the neighborhood of
> 25-50MB/sec! I'm thinking this is an OS problem since both of the connections
> are running at exactly the same speed (for accuracy's sake, ~6.15 MB/sec at
> the most). This never happened on XP; I'm feeling a little like I got hosed.
> Real bad.

secretagent_007

Re: Super Slow USB2 and Firewire
I tried to email customer support, but the MS website isn't accepting my
product ID#. Is there no other way I can get the Cumulative Update Rollup? I
should also say that I read each of those hotfixes contained within, and none
of them are for my problem. Is there any other reason the USB and 1394 would
get stuck at 6MB/s?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Cumulative update rollup for Windows Vista

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "secretagent_007" <secretagent007@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> A noble effort, but sadly didn't do the trick. Still going between 5-6MB/sec
> on USB2 and 1394. Anything else I should try?
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Restart your computer, then download and install the
> > following updates:
> >
> > An update is available that improves the compatibility
> > and reliability of Windows Vista:
> >
> > An update is available that improves the performance
> > and reliability of Windows Vista:
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows Shell/User

> > "secretagent_007" wrote:
> >
> > Problem: External drives with either a USB 2.0 or Firewire connection are
> > transferring files at a measly 6 MB/sec. That's megabytes, not bits. It's
> > taking hours and hours to back up some video files and that shouldn't be the
> > case. No error messages - just really slow transfer speeds through USB and
> > 1394.
> >
> > Tried solutions: I made sure the mobo supports USB2, naturally. I made sure
> > USB2 and 1394 were enabled in the system BIOS. I've updated the USB drivers
> > (Vista tells me the current ones were up to date). The external disks have no
> > drivers themselves - just plain old USB2 and Firewire. Downloaded the most
> > recent system drivers for my Intel motherboard. Tried different devices and
> > different cables. None of this has made any bit of difference at all.
> >
> > Whether I'm using the firewire connection or the USB2 connection, I can only
> > copy files to the drives at 6 MB/sec - it should be in the neighborhood of
> > 25-50MB/sec! I'm thinking this is an OS problem since both of the connections
> > are running at exactly the same speed (for accuracy's sake, ~6.15 MB/sec at
> > the most). This never happened on XP; I'm feeling a little like I got hosed.
> > Real bad.

Richard Urban

Re: Super Slow USB2 and Firewire
You can set your USB drive for "performance". It will speed up the file
transfers.

Go to Device Manager | Disk Drives

Find your drive and open it's property tab

Go to "Policies"

Choose "Optimize For Performance"

I don't have any Firewire drives but the same setting may exist for those
also.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban

message news:EC065D7E-9C74-441B-9C1A-4D79813BC6F6@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> > have no
>> > drivers themselves - just plain old USB2 and Firewire. Downloaded the
>> > most
>> > recent system drivers for my Intel motherboard. Tried different devices
>> > and
>> > different cables. None of this has made any bit of difference at all.
>> >
>> > Whether I'm using the firewire connection or the USB2 connection, I can
>> > only
>> > copy files to the drives at 6 MB/sec - it should be in the neighborhood
>> > of
>> > 25-50MB/sec! I'm thinking this is an OS problem since both of the
>> > connections
>> > are running at exactly the same speed (for accuracy's sake, ~6.15
>> > MB/sec at
>> > the most). This never happened on XP; I'm feeling a little like I got

secretagent_007

Re: Super Slow USB2 and Firewire
Did that - no change. I wish it was that simple!

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> You can set your USB drive for "performance". It will speed up the file
> transfers.
>
> Go to Device Manager | Disk Drives
>
> Find your drive and open it's property tab
>
> Go to "Policies"
>
> Choose "Optimize For Performance"
>
> I don't have any Firewire drives but the same setting may exist for those
> also.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>

> "secretagent_007" <secretagent007@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:EC065D7E-9C74-441B-9C1A-4D79813BC6F6@microsoft.com...
> >I tried to email customer support, but the MS website isn't accepting my
> > product ID#. Is there no other way I can get the Cumulative Update Rollup?
> > should also say that I read each of those hotfixes contained within, and
> > none
> > of them are for my problem. Is there any other reason the USB and 1394
> > would
> > get stuck at 6MB/s?
> >
> > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Cumulative update rollup for Windows Vista
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936003/en-us
> >>
> >> --
> >> Carey Frisch
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User

> >> "secretagent_007" <secretagent007@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message
> >> A noble effort, but sadly didn't do the trick. Still going between
> >> 5-6MB/sec
> >> on USB2 and 1394. Anything else I should try?

secretagent_007

Re: Super Slow USB2 and Firewire
UPDATE TO PROBLEM:
I've tried the drive in a friend's Vista laptop and it works splendidly. So
that means it's only my computer that's messed up. I'm going to contact the
motherboard manufacturer for help, but if anyone has any ideas of what could
cause a 6MB/sec cap on USB and Firewire transfers, I'd love to hear them.
Also, once I get home, I will uninstall all the USB and Firewire drivers in
the DEvice Manager, then restart to see if Vista will install working drivers
by itself. Cross your fingers for me - this is a serious pain!

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Restart your computer, then download and install the
> following updates:
>
> An update is available that improves the compatibility
> and reliability of Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938194
>
> An update is available that improves the performance
> and reliability of Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938979
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "secretagent_007" wrote:
>
> Problem: External drives with either a USB 2.0 or Firewire connection are
> transferring files at a measly 6 MB/sec. That's megabytes, not bits. It's
> taking hours and hours to back up some video files and that shouldn't be the
> case. No error messages - just really slow transfer speeds through USB and
> 1394.
>
> Tried solutions: I made sure the mobo supports USB2, naturally. I made sure
> USB2 and 1394 were enabled in the system BIOS. I've updated the USB drivers
> (Vista tells me the current ones were up to date). The external disks have no
> drivers themselves - just plain old USB2 and Firewire. Downloaded the most
> recent system drivers for my Intel motherboard. Tried different devices and
> different cables. None of this has made any bit of difference at all.
>
> Whether I'm using the firewire connection or the USB2 connection, I can only
> copy files to the drives at 6 MB/sec - it should be in the neighborhood of
> 25-50MB/sec! I'm thinking this is an OS problem since both of the connections
> are running at exactly the same speed (for accuracy's sake, ~6.15 MB/sec at
> the most). This never happened on XP; I'm feeling a little like I got hosed.
> Real bad.

vanilla

Re: Super Slow USB2 and Firewire
This may have _nothing_ to do with it, but does your anti-spy/anti-virus
software scan in real-time all files on move/create/download, etc.? Mine
does and it makes things much slower, but I am a patient person (g) and it
doesn't bother me ... my husband would not tolerate such behavior for two
minutes and would change it to on demand only ... just a thought ...
vanilla

"secretagent_007" <secretagent007@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:19A1CE35-2A09-4D28-9361-4BA28BD5D54F@microsoft.com...
> UPDATE TO PROBLEM:
> I've tried the drive in a friend's Vista laptop and it works splendidly.
> So
> that means it's only my computer that's messed up. I'm going to contact
> the
> motherboard manufacturer for help, but if anyone has any ideas of what
> could
> cause a 6MB/sec cap on USB and Firewire transfers, I'd love to hear them.
> Also, once I get home, I will uninstall all the USB and Firewire drivers
> in
> the DEvice Manager, then restart to see if Vista will install working
> drivers
> by itself. Cross your fingers for me - this is a serious pain!
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Restart your computer, then download and install the
>> following updates:
>>
>> An update is available that improves the compatibility
>> and reliability of Windows Vista:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938194
>>
>> An update is available that improves the performance
>> and reliability of Windows Vista:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938979
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User

>> "secretagent_007" wrote:
>>
>> Problem: External drives with either a USB 2.0 or Firewire connection are
>> transferring files at a measly 6 MB/sec. That's megabytes, not bits. It's
>> taking hours and hours to back up some video files and that shouldn't be
>> the
>> case. No error messages - just really slow transfer speeds through USB
>> and
>> 1394.
>>
>> Tried solutions: I made sure the mobo supports USB2, naturally. I made
>> sure
>> USB2 and 1394 were enabled in the system BIOS. I've updated the USB
>> drivers
>> (Vista tells me the current ones were up to date). The external disks
>> have no
>> drivers themselves - just plain old USB2 and Firewire. Downloaded the
>> most
>> recent system drivers for my Intel motherboard. Tried different devices
>> and
>> different cables. None of this has made any bit of difference at all.
>>
>> Whether I'm using the firewire connection or the USB2 connection, I can
>> only
>> copy files to the drives at 6 MB/sec - it should be in the neighborhood
>> of
>> 25-50MB/sec! I'm thinking this is an OS problem since both of the
>> connections
>> are running at exactly the same speed (for accuracy's sake, ~6.15 MB/sec
>> at
>> the most). This never happened on XP; I'm feeling a little like I got
>> hosed.
>> Real bad.

secretagent_007

Re: Super Slow USB2 and Firewire
Good suggestion, but I haven't even installed anti-anything software. It's
time like these I want to buy a Mac... Too bad they're like $4000.