DVD player driver

sean stephen

DVD player driver
hi. i'm having trouble getting autoplay to work. checked all the right boxes
in 'set defaults' and still nothing. can i delete the driver and download it
again?
Cal Bear '66

Re: DVD player driver
You can uninstall the DVD drive in Device Manager and reboot. Windows will
detect and install the drive automatically. There is no driver to download.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"sean stephen" <seanstephen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news3795BEE-0118-4ECC-BF20-E770F5B69D8E@microsoft.com...
> hi. i'm having trouble getting autoplay to work. checked all the right boxes
> in 'set defaults' and still nothing. can i delete the driver and download it
> again?

sean stephen

Re: DVD player driver
Reboot? does that mean start from scratch and re-install windows?

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> You can uninstall the DVD drive in Device Manager and reboot. Windows will
> detect and install the drive automatically. There is no driver to download.
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "sean stephen" <seanstephen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news3795BEE-0118-4ECC-BF20-E770F5B69D8E@microsoft.com...
> > hi. i'm having trouble getting autoplay to work. checked all the right boxes
> > in 'set defaults' and still nothing. can i delete the driver and download it
> > again?

sean stephen

Re: DVD player driver
perhaps it's not the right thing to do....i just thought it would resolve my
issue.any other thought?

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> You can uninstall the DVD drive in Device Manager and reboot. Windows will
> detect and install the drive automatically. There is no driver to download.
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "sean stephen" <seanstephen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news3795BEE-0118-4ECC-BF20-E770F5B69D8E@microsoft.com...
> > hi. i'm having trouble getting autoplay to work. checked all the right boxes
> > in 'set defaults' and still nothing. can i delete the driver and download it
> > again?

Cal Bear '66

Re: DVD player driver
No -- NOT reinstalling Vista from scratch.

Reboot = RESTART

It might indeed solve your problem.

Do you know how to use Device Manager?

--

> Reboot? does that mean start from scratch and re-install windows?
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> You can uninstall the DVD drive in Device Manager and reboot. Windows will
>> detect and install the drive automatically. There is no driver to download.
>>
>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "sean stephen" <seanstephen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news3795BEE-0118-4ECC-BF20-E770F5B69D8E@microsoft.com...
>> > hi. i'm having trouble getting autoplay to work. checked all the right
>> > boxes
>> > in 'set defaults' and still nothing. can i delete the driver and download
>> > it
>> > again?

sean stephen

Re: DVD player driver
AAh, Good! yes i think i do click on the + sign at cd/dvd rom and
uninstall. will try that. there are two drivers listed, one digitally signed
by microsoft and another not, publisher, Sonic Solutions file version
3.00.42a (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\PxHelp20.sys) if that means anything to
you..
Ok, about to do it. Thanks Cal Bear..will let you know what happens. sean
"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> No -- NOT reinstalling Vista from scratch.
>
> Reboot = RESTART
>
> It might indeed solve your problem.
>
> Do you know how to use Device Manager?
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "sean stephen" <seanstephen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Reboot? does that mean start from scratch and re-install windows?
> >
> > "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
> >
> >> You can uninstall the DVD drive in Device Manager and reboot. Windows will
> >> detect and install the drive automatically. There is no driver to download.
> >>
> >> --
> >> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> >> GO BEARS!
> >>

> >> "sean stephen" <seanstephen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news3795BEE-0118-4ECC-BF20-E770F5B69D8E@microsoft.com...

sean stephen

Re: DVD player driver

OK, haven't blown anything up..that's good. it did reinstall and that Sonic
Solutions drive must have been part of the original...but still no autoplay
and stiil unable to read certain dvd's...chug chugging noise...like it's
battling to read disc. think i should take it back to HP for a check
up...it's only six weeks old.?
"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> No -- NOT reinstalling Vista from scratch.
>
> Reboot = RESTART
>
> It might indeed solve your problem.
>
> Do you know how to use Device Manager?
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "sean stephen" <seanstephen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Reboot? does that mean start from scratch and re-install windows?
> >
> > "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
> >
> >> You can uninstall the DVD drive in Device Manager and reboot. Windows will
> >> detect and install the drive automatically. There is no driver to download.
> >>
> >> --
> >> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> >> GO BEARS!
> >>

> >> "sean stephen" <seanstephen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news3795BEE-0118-4ECC-BF20-E770F5B69D8E@microsoft.com...

Cal Bear '66

Re: DVD player driver
Do you mean you had two drives appearing in Device Manager for the one physical
drive and each listing a separate driver?

--

> OK, haven't blown anything up..that's good. it did reinstall and that Sonic
> Solutions drive must have been part of the original...but still no autoplay
> and stiil unable to read certain dvd's...chug chugging noise...like it's
> battling to read disc. think i should take it back to HP for a check
> up...it's only six weeks old.?
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> No -- NOT reinstalling Vista from scratch.
>>
>> Reboot = RESTART
>>
>> It might indeed solve your problem.
>>
>> Do you know how to use Device Manager?
>>
>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "sean stephen" <seanstephen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Reboot? does that mean start from scratch and re-install windows?

sean stephen

Re: DVD player driver
no, when i expand the cd/dvd rom item,it shows me Slimtype DVD A DS8A1P ATA
Device...click on that i get a properties window. clicking Driver tab shows
Microsoft version 6.0.6000.16386. click Driver Details in that tab, i get
driver files...the signed microsoft one and the other. i cab play disc but
have to go to media player and click play. if i open optical drive, no auto
play options, only "open" which then opens the files on the disc. i've set
auto play to run yet it doesn't. Before this started, today, i couldn't play
certain DVD's..got the chug chug sound yet some dvd's worked great.

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> Do you mean you had two drives appearing in Device Manager for the one physical
> drive and each listing a separate driver?
>

> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "sean stephen" <seanstephen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > OK, haven't blown anything up..that's good. it did reinstall and that Sonic
> > Solutions drive must have been part of the original...but still no autoplay
> > and stiil unable to read certain dvd's...chug chugging noise...like it's
> > battling to read disc. think i should take it back to HP for a check
> > up...it's only six weeks old.?
> > "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
> >
> >> No -- NOT reinstalling Vista from scratch.
> >>
> >> Reboot = RESTART
> >>
> >> It might indeed solve your problem.
> >>
> >> Do you know how to use Device Manager?
> >>
> >> --
> >> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> >> GO BEARS!

Cal Bear '66

Re: DVD player driver
I just checked my DC/DVD entry in Device Manager. It also shows two driver
files -- one from Microsoft and one from Sonic Solutions.

I don't know why you can't get Auto Play to work properly, but if the drive is
making a "chug chug" sound and won't play some DVDs, I would definitely take it
back and exchange it.

You don't have a DVD movie option in Control Panel > AutoPlay?