Microsoft Digital Sound System 80

_ade

Microsoft Digital Sound System 80
Does anybody else out there have one of these?! I won it in a Microsoft
competition many years agto, and it's a really good sound system ... but it
doesn't work under Vista! I still have the original installation disc, but it
says "... the installation file is missing a necessary entry ... ".
Conveniently, it doesn't tell me what the missing entry might be, and advises
me to "contact the manufacturer".This is about as close as I can get!

Any hints anyone?
babaloo

Re: Microsoft Digital Sound System 80
Like many Microsoft branded products this was a one version only product.
Unlike Vista the Microsoft speakers were a good value for the money. For
reasons I cannot explain the conncectors for one of the speakers simply fell
into one of the boxes, presumably the glue holding them deteriorated. after
just a couple of years of use in a cool, dry environment.
The comparisons to Vista are inevitable . . .
I beleive there were more disadvantages to using them via the usb port than
via the 3 pin stereo connected to your sound card or motherboard sound.
Hence you really do not need drivers for them if yours still work.

Bill

Re: Microsoft Digital Sound System 80
I have a Microsoft Digital Sound System 80 (DSS 80) that the Subwoofer has
stopped working. The Left and Right speakers are working fine. The master
volume on the Right speaker works fine as well as the volume control on the
screen and they are syquronized (sp?) with each other. However, the volume
control for the Subwoofeer on the Right speaker does nothing. Is there a fix
for this? I am using the DSS 80 with Windows XP so I am unable to load the
software.
HELP, please!