RAID in Vista

Peter

RAID in Vista
Hi,
As a newbie, I got an "expert" to install Vista Home Premium on my computer(
Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro SLI , 2 HDD's) but was told by him that Vista does not
support mirror RAID so the second HDD was listed as an IDE in the BIOS. (My
previous XP pro setup ran mirror RAID) The RAID array screen only shows one
HDD. Is there some way that I can change the setup to a RAID 1 mirror without
having to reinstall Vista? Would be grateful for any help.
--
Peter
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: RAID in Vista
Why RAID is (usually) a Terrible Idea
http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles?&id=29

RAID Explained
http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles.php?id=24

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Peter" wrote:

Hi,
As a newbie, I got an "expert" to install Vista Home Premium on my computer(
Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro SLI , 2 HDD's) but was told by him that Vista does not
support mirror RAID so the second HDD was listed as an IDE in the BIOS. (My
previous XP pro setup ran mirror RAID) The RAID array screen only shows one
HDD. Is there some way that I can change the setup to a RAID 1 mirror without
having to reinstall Vista? Would be grateful for any help.
--
Peter
John

Re: RAID in Vista

newsC9DA676-1EF5-48E2-9B32-1DBD1BA30E57@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> As a newbie, I got an "expert" to install Vista Home Premium on my
> computer(
> Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro SLI , 2 HDD's) but was told by him that Vista does not
> support mirror RAID so the second HDD was listed as an IDE in the BIOS.
> (My
> previous XP pro setup ran mirror RAID) The RAID array screen only shows
> one
> HDD. Is there some way that I can change the setup to a RAID 1 mirror
> without
> having to reinstall Vista? Would be grateful for any help.
> --
> Peter

Did Gigabyte provide a Vista certified RAID driver with the motherboard?
Did you install it?
It is unlikely that an XP RAID driver will work.
I do not see any Vista drivers on Gigabyte's web site for your motherboard.

I am currently running RAID 1 (mirror) on a GA-8i955x Royal motherboard
with Vista Ultimate 64 bit. The driver was downloaded from Gigabyte's
web site. Your "expert" needs some additional education.

SAVIC

Re: RAID in Vista
helo John...

Ive got a Problem...i have 2 Harddisks and now i want to mirroring the
system disk on the second disc how can i do that??

pls help me...

"John" wrote:

> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsC9DA676-1EF5-48E2-9B32-1DBD1BA30E57@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> > As a newbie, I got an "expert" to install Vista Home Premium on my
> > computer(
> > Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro SLI , 2 HDD's) but was told by him that Vista does not
> > support mirror RAID so the second HDD was listed as an IDE in the BIOS.
> > (My
> > previous XP pro setup ran mirror RAID) The RAID array screen only shows
> > one
> > HDD. Is there some way that I can change the setup to a RAID 1 mirror
> > without
> > having to reinstall Vista? Would be grateful for any help.
> > --
> > Peter

> Did Gigabyte provide a Vista certified RAID driver with the motherboard?
> Did you install it?
> It is unlikely that an XP RAID driver will work.
> I do not see any Vista drivers on Gigabyte's web site for your motherboard.
>

> I am currently running RAID 1 (mirror) on a GA-8i955x Royal motherboard
> with Vista Ultimate 64 bit. The driver was downloaded from Gigabyte's
> web site. Your "expert" needs some additional education.

R. C. White

Re: RAID in Vista
Hi, SAVIC.

I'm not John, but...

Step 1: RTFM! Read the Fine Manual that came with your hardware.

> pls help me...

We'll be glad to, but you have to do your part first. If you would like
help here, you must do as Peter (the op) did: give us at least a little
information, like make and model of your computer (or your motherboard,
BIOS, chipset and CPU if you built it yourself) and a full description of
your hard drives, interfaces, controllers, etc. Just "2 Harddisks" doesn't
tell us anything that helps us help you!

Please tell us the things that you will learn by reading the documentation
that you have - and we don't. Then ask us about the parts that you don't
understand.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA