sd card reader not working

Rupa

sd card reader not working
Hi,

I am facing an issue with my HP pavilion dv2224ea laptop with Vista home
premium. It has a built in card reader which worked fine initially.But now it
has stopped recognizing any SD cards. My Sd card shows up under "Disk drives"
in Device manager with a yellow exclamation mark next to it. And also when I
right click on it and go to Properties, it shows " This device can not start
(code 10).

I have tried updating drivers but to no avail .The HP tech support guy
asked me to download the latest updates for the BIOS and the card reader.
That didnt work either. Any suggestions please on what I could try to fix
this isue?

Thanks,

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: sd card reader not working
In Device Manager, right-click on the device and select "Uninstall",
then restart your computer. This procedure should reinstall the device
properly.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Rupa" wrote:

Hi,

I am facing an issue with my HP pavilion dv2224ea laptop with Vista home
premium. It has a built in card reader which worked fine initially.But now it
has stopped recognizing any SD cards. My Sd card shows up under "Disk drives"
in Device manager with a yellow exclamation mark next to it. And also when I
right click on it and go to Properties, it shows " This device can not start
(code 10).

I have tried updating drivers but to no avail .The HP tech support guy
asked me to download the latest updates for the BIOS and the card reader.
That didnt work either. Any suggestions please on what I could try to fix
this isue?

Thanks,

Cal Bear '66

Re: sd card reader not working
You can try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933442/en-us

URL for hotfixes:

https://support.microsoft.com/contac...1410&WS=hotfix

NOTE: You may have to try the above URL to get to the hotfix request page.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Rupa" <Rupa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am facing an issue with my HP pavilion dv2224ea laptop with Vista home
> premium. It has a built in card reader which worked fine initially.But now it
> has stopped recognizing any SD cards. My Sd card shows up under "Disk drives"
> in Device manager with a yellow exclamation mark next to it. And also when I
> right click on it and go to Properties, it shows " This device can not start
> (code 10).
>
> I have tried updating drivers but to no avail .The HP tech support guy
> asked me to download the latest updates for the BIOS and the card reader.
> That didnt work either. Any suggestions please on what I could try to fix
> this isue?
>
> Thanks,

Rupa

Re: sd card reader not working
Thnaks Carey but I have already tried unistalling the drivers, updating them
etc etc. But it didnt help.

I have requested the hotfix. So will wait and see whether that works.

Thanks,
Rupa

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> You can try this:

> URL for hotfixes:
>
> https://support.microsoft.com/contac...1410&WS=hotfix
>

> NOTE: You may have to try the above URL to get to the hotfix request page.
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Rupa" <Rupa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am facing an issue with my HP pavilion dv2224ea laptop with Vista home
> > premium. It has a built in card reader which worked fine initially.But now it
> > has stopped recognizing any SD cards. My Sd card shows up under "Disk drives"
> > in Device manager with a yellow exclamation mark next to it. And also when I
> > right click on it and go to Properties, it shows " This device can not start
> > (code 10).
> >
> > I have tried updating drivers but to no avail .The HP tech support guy
> > asked me to download the latest updates for the BIOS and the card reader.
> > That didnt work either. Any suggestions please on what I could try to fix
> > this isue?
> >
> > Thanks,

Yue Zuo [MSFT]

Re: sd card reader not working
Hi Rupa,

First thing you want to do is to determine which bus your SD card connects
to. In the device manger, choose View\Device By Connection and look at the
Device Type and the Driver(in properties page) of your SD card's parent
node:
If it is USB device, it usually uses MS USB mass storage driver
(usbstor.sys).
If it is SD host adapter device, it usually uses MS SD bus driver
(sdbus.sys).
If it is other type of device, you are probably using a non-standard
device with third-party driver.

The hotfix in Car's email is only for USB card readers. There is another
hotfix for SD host controller driver: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933847

Thanks,
-yue
--
This email is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

> Thnaks Carey but I have already tried unistalling the drivers, updating
> them
> etc etc. But it didnt help.
>
> I have requested the hotfix. So will wait and see whether that works.
>
> Thanks,
> Rupa
>

> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> You can try this:

>> URL for hotfixes:
>>
>> https://support.microsoft.com/contac...1410&WS=hotfix
>>

>> NOTE: You may have to try the above URL to get to the hotfix request
>> page.
>>
>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Rupa" <Rupa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am facing an issue with my HP pavilion dv2224ea laptop with Vista
>> > home
>> > premium. It has a built in card reader which worked fine initially.But
>> > now it
>> > has stopped recognizing any SD cards. My Sd card shows up under "Disk
>> > drives"
>> > in Device manager with a yellow exclamation mark next to it. And also
>> > when I
>> > right click on it and go to Properties, it shows " This device can not
>> > start
>> > (code 10).
>> >
>> > I have tried updating drivers but to no avail .The HP tech support guy
>> > asked me to download the latest updates for the BIOS and the card
>> > reader.
>> > That didnt work either. Any suggestions please on what I could try to
>> > fix
>> > this isue?
>> >
>> > Thanks,

Rupa

Re: sd card reader not working
Hi Yue,

Thanks. I checked that and it uses the sdbus.sys. Regarding the hotfix you
mentioned, I had tried to install it earlier when I noticed this issue. But
it keeps saying that this update does not apply to my system. Any thoughts on
that please??

Thanks,
Rupa

"Yue Zuo [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Rupa,
>
> First thing you want to do is to determine which bus your SD card connects
> to. In the device manger, choose View\Device By Connection and look at the
> Device Type and the Driver(in properties page) of your SD card's parent
> node:
> If it is USB device, it usually uses MS USB mass storage driver
> (usbstor.sys).
> If it is SD host adapter device, it usually uses MS SD bus driver
> (sdbus.sys).
> If it is other type of device, you are probably using a non-standard
> device with third-party driver.
>
> The hotfix in Car's email is only for USB card readers. There is another
> hotfix for SD host controller driver: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933847
>
> Thanks,
> -yue
> --
> This email is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
> Use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
>

> "Rupa" <Rupa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thnaks Carey but I have already tried unistalling the drivers, updating
> > them
> > etc etc. But it didnt help.
> >
> > I have requested the hotfix. So will wait and see whether that works.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rupa
> >

> > "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
> >
> >> You can try this:
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933442/en-us
> >>
> >> URL for hotfixes:
> >>
> >> https://support.microsoft.com/contac...1410&WS=hotfix
> >>

> >> NOTE: You may have to try the above URL to get to the hotfix request
> >> page.
> >>
> >> --
> >> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> >> GO BEARS!

Yue Zuo [MSFT]

Re: sd card reader not working
Then please send your question to sdbase __at__ microsoft __dot__ com.

Thanks,
-yue
--

> Hi Yue,
>
> Thanks. I checked that and it uses the sdbus.sys. Regarding the hotfix you
> mentioned, I had tried to install it earlier when I noticed this issue.
> But
> it keeps saying that this update does not apply to my system. Any thoughts
> on
> that please??
>
> Thanks,
> Rupa
>

> "Yue Zuo [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Rupa,
>>
>> First thing you want to do is to determine which bus your SD card
>> connects
>> to. In the device manger, choose View\Device By Connection and look at
>> the
>> Device Type and the Driver(in properties page) of your SD card's parent
>> node:
>> If it is USB device, it usually uses MS USB mass storage driver
>> (usbstor.sys).
>> If it is SD host adapter device, it usually uses MS SD bus driver
>> (sdbus.sys).
>> If it is other type of device, you are probably using a non-standard
>> device with third-party driver.
>>
>> The hotfix in Car's email is only for USB card readers. There is another
>> hotfix for SD host controller driver:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933847
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -yue
>> --
>> This email is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>> Use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
>> http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
>>

>> "Rupa" <Rupa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thnaks Carey but I have already tried unistalling the drivers, updating
>> > them
>> > etc etc. But it didnt help.
>> >
>> > I have requested the hotfix. So will wait and see whether that works.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Rupa

tiredofwindough

Re: sd card reader not working

Hi, I hope this helps your case.

I have vista basic and for most people, the routine of disabling and
enabling your USB device works. Not for me.

After process of elimination, I concluded that it wasn't my driver
issue as my USB and my SD card reader on my toshiba satellite came AFTER
windows did some non-essential updates. I removed them AND BAMMM!!! It
worked.

So basically, try rolling back your and deleting windows update from
the last time the USB and SD card reader worked.

Again hope this helps

--
tiredofwindough