Advisory Tool is a Joke!!!!

Scott Micale

Advisory Tool is a Joke!!!!
Ok so I wanted to install Vista on my home PC so I ran the Advisory tool and
it says I should load Home Premium. It scans my system and says my computer
will run Vista, but list a few devices that will need to be taken care of.
It says I will need to install a CD/DVD burner because my CD rom won't work
after the install. Not sure why it is saying that because I have a DVD-Rom
in my system now and not a CD-Rom. It said I would probably need to change
my video card, because the one I have does not support Aero which is no big
deal to me. So now I start the installation and it then tells me I need
device drivers for my Primary IDE, Secondary IDE, and one other. I am
assuming that means those are drivers from my motherboard manufacturer
(Intel) correct? So I go to the Intel website to see if there are any Vista
drivers and I can't find anything. So now what do I do? Why did the
Advisory Tool tell my system could handle Vista, but really it can't because
it can't find device drivers so that it will be able to access my IDE drives
to it can load Vista. Just does not make any sense to me. Does anyone know
how I can get around this? I can send my advisory report if someone wants
to look at it, but just let me know how I post it to this newsgroup.

Thanks!

Pete

Re: Advisory Tool is a Joke!!!!
"Scott Micale" <hrm_admin@news.postalias> wrote in message
> Ok so I wanted to install Vista on my home PC so I ran the Advisory tool
> and
> it says I should load Home Premium. It scans my system and says my
> computer
> will run Vista, but list a few devices that will need to be taken care of.
> It says I will need to install a CD/DVD burner because my CD rom won't
> work
> after the install. Not sure why it is saying that because I have a
> DVD-Rom
> in my system now and not a CD-Rom. It said I would probably need to
> change
> my video card, because the one I have does not support Aero which is no
> big
> deal to me. So now I start the installation and it then tells me I need
> device drivers for my Primary IDE, Secondary IDE, and one other. I am
> assuming that means those are drivers from my motherboard manufacturer
> (Intel) correct? So I go to the Intel website to see if there are any
> Vista
> drivers and I can't find anything. So now what do I do? Why did the
> Advisory Tool tell my system could handle Vista, but really it can't
> because
> it can't find device drivers so that it will be able to access my IDE
> drives
> to it can load Vista. Just does not make any sense to me. Does anyone
> know
> how I can get around this? I can send my advisory report if someone wants
> to look at it, but just let me know how I post it to this newsgroup.
>
> Thanks!

You know, let's just face it. This "upgradeability" thing is a farse. At a
given time, hardware and software are MATCHED.
My retailer said 'don't worry, you can always upgrade the processor.' Or,
'it's Vista capable.' (Not knowing the difference between capable, premium,
and ultimate.) MATCHED is the word.
Wait until the smooth running Vista machines come out with the RIGHT
DRIVERS, etc.
-Pete
PS: and yes, the advisory tool is a joke

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Re: Advisory Tool is a Joke!!!!
Hello Scott,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

Based on my experience, we may encounter this similar issue is because the
Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor tool cannot find out all hardware devices'
drivers that are incompatible with Windows Vista during the process.
Therefore, before upgrade to Windows Vista, please make sure all core
devices (CPU, HDD, motherboard and memory) in your system are compatible
with Windows Vista. You may contact the manufacturer to confirm it.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support