Let Consumers Decide!

=?Utf-8?B?UXVpY2tTaWw1OQ==?=

Let Consumers Decide!
Let consumers decide if they want to enable the hardware abstraction layer or
not! I say this because it seems that the advanced features of many
soundcards are now crippled because they can no longer utilize hardware
acceleration. I don’t care if you give me a pop up each time my system
starts that warns me that HAL-enabled hardware will make my system unstable.
Just let me make the choice.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com... dware_devices
Sascha Benjamin Jazbec

Re: Let Consumers Decide!
>" I say this because it seems that the advanced features of many
> soundcards are now crippled because they can no longer utilize hardware
> acceleration. "

this has more to do with DRM and protected Sound/Video in and output than
with anything else, no matter what Microsoft officials will tell you about
"driver-issues".. don't buy it. It's all about Copy-Protection.

SJ /germany

"QuickSil59" <QuickSil59@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Let consumers decide if they want to enable the hardware abstraction layer
> or
> not! I say this because it seems that the advanced features of many
> soundcards are now crippled because they can no longer utilize hardware
> acceleration. I don’t care if you give me a pop up each time my system
> starts that warns me that HAL-enabled hardware will make my system
> unstable.
> Just let me make the choice.
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com... dware_devices

Paul Smith

Re: Let Consumers Decide!
"QuickSil59" <QuickSil59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Let consumers decide if they want to enable the hardware abstraction layer
> or
> not! I say this because it seems that the advanced features of many
> soundcards are now crippled because they can no longer utilize hardware
> acceleration. I don’t care if you give me a pop up each time my system
> starts that warns me that HAL-enabled hardware will make my system
> unstable.
> Just let me make the choice.

There are work arounds for this, you can still talk directly to the sound
hardware. Creative if they don't already have an update out will have one
out shortly which will intercept EAX calls and route them through OpenAL I'm
not sure what cards they're going to officially support this for.

Microsoft did change how the sound system works, but they haven't blocked
off hardware acceleration.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.