Bluetooth Device Mngr Missing from Vista Ult Control Panel/Hardwar

Mark Haas

Bluetooth Device Mngr Missing from Vista Ult Control Panel/Hardwar
I have a new Dell with factory installed Vista Ultimate edition. I'm trying
to connect bluetooth keyboard and mouse with some difficuly. Vista Help
points me to Control Panel/Hardware/Bluetooth Configuration but Bluetooth
Config is not there and I can't find it anywhere else in Control Panel. I
checked my wife's Vista build and the icon and app is there.

Dell's help desk first said I need a Bluetooth card (not!) then said that
the Hardware mngr function would not appear until I connected a Bluetooth
device which I also disagree with. Does anyone have any experience with
this?

Thank you
KenM

RE: Bluetooth Device Mngr Missing from Vista Ult Control Panel/Hardwar
Hi Mark Vista does not show a bluetooth device manager until you install a
bluetooth device is attached and turned on I have noticed with new dell
computers that the bluetooth has to be turned on with a small switch on the
side
hope this helps
Ken

"Mark Haas" wrote:

> I have a new Dell with factory installed Vista Ultimate edition. I'm trying
> to connect bluetooth keyboard and mouse with some difficuly. Vista Help
> points me to Control Panel/Hardware/Bluetooth Configuration but Bluetooth
> Config is not there and I can't find it anywhere else in Control Panel. I
> checked my wife's Vista build and the icon and app is there.
>
> Dell's help desk first said I need a Bluetooth card (not!) then said that
> the Hardware mngr function would not appear until I connected a Bluetooth
> device which I also disagree with. Does anyone have any experience with
> this?
>
> Thank you

Mark Haas

RE: Bluetooth Device Mngr Missing from Vista Ult Control Panel/Hardwar
It does help thank you but still leaves me unsatisfied as despite having one
Bluetooth device working properly I'm still not seeing Bluetooth Config Mngr
despite being able to get the mouse to connect. I'm still battling it out
with the keyboard. it's a Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000. Anyone else
have any ideas?

"Mark Haas" wrote:

> I have a new Dell with factory installed Vista Ultimate edition. I'm trying
> to connect bluetooth keyboard and mouse with some difficuly. Vista Help
> points me to Control Panel/Hardware/Bluetooth Configuration but Bluetooth
> Config is not there and I can't find it anywhere else in Control Panel. I
> checked my wife's Vista build and the icon and app is there.
>
> Dell's help desk first said I need a Bluetooth card (not!) then said that
> the Hardware mngr function would not appear until I connected a Bluetooth
> device which I also disagree with. Does anyone have any experience with
> this?
>
> Thank you

lordstanleyiscominghome@gmail.com

Re: Bluetooth Device Mngr Missing from Vista Ult Control Panel/Hardwar
I have the exact same issue... my bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse is working
but in the control panel no Bluetooth hardware exists and there is no
bluetooth icon in the systray like XP.

If I run the bluetooth application from the start menu (bttray.exe) it
does absolutely nothing so i'm not able to sync my bluetooth phone or
have it discover any other devices.

Chad

Re: Bluetooth Device Mngr Missing from Vista Ult Control Panel/Har
Any ideas what is causing this? I have the exact same problem Vista Ultimate
with no Bluetooth Devices listed in the Control Panel. I have a BT mouse
working fine, but the BT keyboard I'm trying to install won't work until with
the Bluetooth Devices app. Why is this so hard, these are all MSFT products?

"lordstanleyiscominghome@gmail.com" wrote:

> I have the exact same issue... my bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse is working
> but in the control panel no Bluetooth hardware exists and there is no
> bluetooth icon in the systray like XP.
>
> If I run the bluetooth application from the start menu (bttray.exe) it
> does absolutely nothing so i'm not able to sync my bluetooth phone or
> have it discover any other devices.

R. C. White

Re: Bluetooth Device Mngr Missing from Vista Ult Control Panel/Har
Hi, Chad.

My Bluetooth is not shown in the "parent" Control Panel, but in Control
Panel | Device Manager. Have you looked there?

There is no Bluetooth icon in my Notification Area at the moment, maybe
because my Bluetooth headphones seem to be broken. :>(

I gave away my Microsoft-branded Bluetooth desktop set (mouse and keyboard)
because I dual-boot; there was no way to choose between WinXP and Vista from
the opening menu because Bluetooth devices didn't work until after Windows
had started and loaded its drivers. :>(

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Chad" <Chad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Any ideas what is causing this? I have the exact same problem Vista
> Ultimate
> with no Bluetooth Devices listed in the Control Panel. I have a BT mouse
> working fine, but the BT keyboard I'm trying to install won't work until
> with
> the Bluetooth Devices app. Why is this so hard, these are all MSFT
> products?
>
> "lordstanleyiscominghome@gmail.com" wrote:
>
>> I have the exact same issue... my bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse is working
>> but in the control panel no Bluetooth hardware exists and there is no
>> bluetooth icon in the systray like XP.
>>
>> If I run the bluetooth application from the start menu (bttray.exe) it
>> does absolutely nothing so i'm not able to sync my bluetooth phone or
>> have it discover any other devices.

Chad

Re: Bluetooth Device Mngr Missing from Vista Ult Control Panel/Har
In my Device Manager I don't have anything that specifically mentions
Bluetooth, but under "Mouse" I have my BT Intellimouse listed and working.
My wireless Keyboard is not listed. The keyboard requires that a passcode be
shared for it to work correctly and without the "bluetooth devices" icon
available there is no where to configure the keyboard or any other BT device
in Vista.

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Chad.
>
> My Bluetooth is not shown in the "parent" Control Panel, but in Control
> Panel | Device Manager. Have you looked there?
>
> There is no Bluetooth icon in my Notification Area at the moment, maybe
> because my Bluetooth headphones seem to be broken. :>(
>
> I gave away my Microsoft-branded Bluetooth desktop set (mouse and keyboard)
> because I dual-boot; there was no way to choose between WinXP and Vista from
> the opening menu because Bluetooth devices didn't work until after Windows
> had started and loaded its drivers. :>(
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64)
>
> "Chad" <Chad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Any ideas what is causing this? I have the exact same problem Vista
> > Ultimate
> > with no Bluetooth Devices listed in the Control Panel. I have a BT mouse
> > working fine, but the BT keyboard I'm trying to install won't work until
> > with
> > the Bluetooth Devices app. Why is this so hard, these are all MSFT
> > products?
> >
> > "lordstanleyiscominghome@gmail.com" wrote:
> >
> >> I have the exact same issue... my bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse is working
> >> but in the control panel no Bluetooth hardware exists and there is no
> >> bluetooth icon in the systray like XP.
> >>
> >> If I run the bluetooth application from the start menu (bttray.exe) it
> >> does absolutely nothing so i'm not able to sync my bluetooth phone or
> >> have it discover any other devices.

JCHAgs95

RE: Bluetooth Device Mngr Missing from Vista Ult Control Panel/Hardwar
I'm having a similar problem. I installed a bluetooth dongl (Kensington
Bluetooth USB Adapter 2.0) and the device manager shows it is working
properly, but I can't access the bluetooth settings because I don't have an
option to select "Bluetooth Devices" from the "Control Panel / Hardware and
Sounds" as directed by the Windows Help and Support Screen.

I may have the wrong driver for the USB bluetooth adapter, but the
application I downloaded from the Kensington website won't run on my Vista
laptop.

My theory is that the Bluetooth Devices window in Vista will only activate
when there is a bluetooth device present. Since my device may have the
incorrect driver, Vista isn't recognizing it (even though the device manager
says its OK). Can anyone confirm or deny this?

This is extremely frustrating!

"Mark Haas" wrote:

> I have a new Dell with factory installed Vista Ultimate edition. I'm trying
> to connect bluetooth keyboard and mouse with some difficuly. Vista Help
> points me to Control Panel/Hardware/Bluetooth Configuration but Bluetooth
> Config is not there and I can't find it anywhere else in Control Panel. I
> checked my wife's Vista build and the icon and app is there.
>
> Dell's help desk first said I need a Bluetooth card (not!) then said that
> the Hardware mngr function would not appear until I connected a Bluetooth
> device which I also disagree with. Does anyone have any experience with
> this?
>
> Thank you

JW

Re: Bluetooth Device Mngr Missing from Vista Ult Control Panel/Hardwar
Does your Control Panel now have a separate Bluetooth Icon? One showed up
in my control panel as soon as I installed a Bluetooth USB adapter.

"JCHAgs95" <JCHAgs95@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having a similar problem. I installed a bluetooth dongl (Kensington
> Bluetooth USB Adapter 2.0) and the device manager shows it is working
> properly, but I can't access the bluetooth settings because I don't have
> an
> option to select "Bluetooth Devices" from the "Control Panel / Hardware
> and
> Sounds" as directed by the Windows Help and Support Screen.
>
> I may have the wrong driver for the USB bluetooth adapter, but the
> application I downloaded from the Kensington website won't run on my Vista
> laptop.
>
> My theory is that the Bluetooth Devices window in Vista will only activate
> when there is a bluetooth device present. Since my device may have the
> incorrect driver, Vista isn't recognizing it (even though the device
> manager
> says its OK). Can anyone confirm or deny this?
>
> This is extremely frustrating!
>
> "Mark Haas" wrote:
>
>> I have a new Dell with factory installed Vista Ultimate edition. I'm
>> trying
>> to connect bluetooth keyboard and mouse with some difficuly. Vista Help
>> points me to Control Panel/Hardware/Bluetooth Configuration but Bluetooth
>> Config is not there and I can't find it anywhere else in Control Panel.
>> checked my wife's Vista build and the icon and app is there.
>>
>> Dell's help desk first said I need a Bluetooth card (not!) then said that
>> the Hardware mngr function would not appear until I connected a Bluetooth
>> device which I also disagree with. Does anyone have any experience with
>> this?
>>
>> Thank you

kanderstag

Re: Bluetooth Device Mngr Missing from Vista Ult Control Panel/Har
I'm in the same boat. I have the MS Elite bluetooth combo and am using Vista
Ultimate 64bit. Vista seems to see the bluetooth transceiver, I get the
bluetooth icon in the systray, but I cannot open its settings. Trying to add
a new device is beyond frustrating as neither keyboard nor mouse are
recognized. Both intellipoint drivers are installed, but even then, clicking
on their desktop icons for adding a mouse or keyboard do nothing but give
directions and the little "Add Bluetooth Devices" link within does not work.

It's as if Vista doesn't recognize the bt dongle. I cannot find it in
Control Panel classic view, and yet if I go to Device Manager it is there,
"working properly." At wit's end with this circus, I tried the install on XP
and it went without a hitch. Both keyboard and mouse were recognized.

I tried again on Vista and back to the ever-frustrating puzzle. The icing
on the cake is the bt icon disappearing from the systray after five to ten
minutes. Nothing is hidden, it just decides to take a little siesta... or
play hide and seek.