Vista won't start when TV Tuner added

=?Utf-8?B?ZWZpbg==?=

Vista won't start when TV Tuner added
Hello,
I've got Vista Ultimate installed and running great, but when I tried to
install an ATi TV Wonder 650 the PC won't boot. It gets about halfway into
exact same thing happens whether I'm booting normally, into Safe Mode, or
even booting from the DVD (so I can't run the Startup Repair tool).

The TV Wonder works perfectly in XP, so I know it's not a bad card. Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch.
JW

Re: Vista won't start when TV Tuner added
Did you install Vista drivers for the card before you installed the card?
"efin" <efin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I've got Vista Ultimate installed and running great, but when I tried to
> install an ATi TV Wonder 650 the PC won't boot. It gets about halfway into
> The
> exact same thing happens whether I'm booting normally, into Safe Mode, or
> even booting from the DVD (so I can't run the Startup Repair tool).
>
> The TV Wonder works perfectly in XP, so I know it's not a bad card. Any
> ideas?
>
> Thanks a bunch.

=?Utf-8?B?ZWZpbg==?=

Re: Vista won't start when TV Tuner added
Nope - should I have?

"JW" wrote:

> Did you install Vista drivers for the card before you installed the card?
> "efin" <efin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > I've got Vista Ultimate installed and running great, but when I tried to
> > install an ATi TV Wonder 650 the PC won't boot. It gets about halfway into
> > The
> > exact same thing happens whether I'm booting normally, into Safe Mode, or
> > even booting from the DVD (so I can't run the Startup Repair tool).
> >
> > The TV Wonder works perfectly in XP, so I know it's not a bad card. Any
> > ideas?
> >
> > Thanks a bunch.

=?Utf-8?B?ZWZpbg==?=

Re: Vista won't start when TV Tuner added
Actually, scratch that one. I just tried to, but it's an install package that
detects what hardware is ready to install. Since Vista won't start when the
card is in, that's not possible.
JW

Re: Vista won't start when TV Tuner added
If the 650 card is in a slot next to a graphics card in an AGP slot trying
moving it to another slot and leave the pCI slot next to the AGP slot empty.

"efin" <efin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsB662383-6458-461D-91C1-36A03391D745@microsoft.com...
> Actually, scratch that one. I just tried to, but it's an install package
> that
> detects what hardware is ready to install. Since Vista won't start when
> the
> card is in, that's not possible.

=?Utf-8?B?ZWZpbg==?=

Re: Vista won't start when TV Tuner added
I've tried multiple PCI slots to no avail. I'm certain it's not a hardware
problem for two reasons:

1. - It works fine in XP.
2. - Windows doesn't stall until after it loads all of its preload system
files (ending with crcdisk.sys).

This problem reminds me of when I upgraded my motherboard one time with XP.
Not knowing that it had limits on how much hardware you could change within
one XP installation, I just plugged everything into the new motherboard and
it stalled like this right when the logo came up. But this isn't a
motherboard, nor is it even close to a significant upgrade.

"JW" wrote:

> If the 650 card is in a slot next to a graphics card in an AGP slot trying
> moving it to another slot and leave the pCI slot next to the AGP slot empty.
>
> "efin" <efin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsB662383-6458-461D-91C1-36A03391D745@microsoft.com...
> > Actually, scratch that one. I just tried to, but it's an install package
> > that
> > detects what hardware is ready to install. Since Vista won't start when
> > the
> > card is in, that's not possible.

JW

Re: Vista won't start when TV Tuner added
Do you have the latest BIOS for your MOBO?
Do you have have the latest Vista drivers for your version of Vista (32 bit
or 64 bit ) from the ATI Website?

> I've tried multiple PCI slots to no avail. I'm certain it's not a hardware
> problem for two reasons:
>
> 1. - It works fine in XP.
> 2. - Windows doesn't stall until after it loads all of its preload system
> files (ending with crcdisk.sys).
>
> This problem reminds me of when I upgraded my motherboard one time with
> XP.
> Not knowing that it had limits on how much hardware you could change
> within
> one XP installation, I just plugged everything into the new motherboard
> and
> it stalled like this right when the logo came up. But this isn't a
> motherboard, nor is it even close to a significant upgrade.
>

> "JW" wrote:
>
>> If the 650 card is in a slot next to a graphics card in an AGP slot
>> trying
>> moving it to another slot and leave the pCI slot next to the AGP slot
>> empty.
>>
>> "efin" <efin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsB662383-6458-461D-91C1-36A03391D745@microsoft.com...
>> > Actually, scratch that one. I just tried to, but it's an install
>> > package
>> > that
>> > detects what hardware is ready to install. Since Vista won't start when
>> > the
>> > card is in, that's not possible.

=?Utf-8?B?ZWZpbg==?=

Re: Vista won't start when TV Tuner added
Yes and yes. But as I said, I can't get as far as to install the ATi drivers,
because Vista won't start up.

"JW" wrote:

> Do you have the latest BIOS for your MOBO?
> Do you have have the latest Vista drivers for your version of Vista (32 bit
> or 64 bit ) from the ATI Website?
>
> "efin" <efin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've tried multiple PCI slots to no avail. I'm certain it's not a hardware
> > problem for two reasons:
> >
> > 1. - It works fine in XP.
> > 2. - Windows doesn't stall until after it loads all of its preload system
> > files (ending with crcdisk.sys).
> >
> > This problem reminds me of when I upgraded my motherboard one time with
> > XP.
> > Not knowing that it had limits on how much hardware you could change
> > within
> > one XP installation, I just plugged everything into the new motherboard
> > and
> > it stalled like this right when the logo came up. But this isn't a
> > motherboard, nor is it even close to a significant upgrade.
> >

> > "JW" wrote:
> >
> >> If the 650 card is in a slot next to a graphics card in an AGP slot
> >> trying
> >> moving it to another slot and leave the pCI slot next to the AGP slot
> >> empty.
> >>
> >> "efin" <efin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> newsB662383-6458-461D-91C1-36A03391D745@microsoft.com...

Jerry

efin wrote:
> Hello,
> I've got Vista Ultimate installed and running great, but when I tried to
> install an ATi TV Wonder 650 the PC won't boot. It gets about halfway into
> exact same thing happens whether I'm booting normally, into Safe Mode, or
> even booting from the DVD (so I can't run the Startup Repair tool).
>
> The TV Wonder works perfectly in XP, so I know it's not a bad card. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks a bunch.

Are you sure It's OK to use with Vista? Check the manufacturers website.

FYI My AverMedia TV tuner that worked fine under XP caused Vista to not
see a video card at all. I got some generic video settings but could not
install any software or drivers for it. Removed the TV card and all was
well.
=?Utf-8?B?ZWZpbg==?=

Re: Vista won't start when TV Tuner added
Yeah, it is supposed to work in Vista. That was one thing I made sure to
check before buying it.