Vista Ultimate Upgrade and Certificate of Authenticity

laffytaffy

Vista Ultimate Upgrade and Certificate of Authenticity
I want to upgrade my hard drive, graphics card and ram but have heard that I
would have edit/disable the licensing information in the DOS screen before
doing so or otherwise the system will not recognize the new hardware and
prevent access to Vista. If this is true then that would mean I should see
an install screen once again to re-enter my license code? I upgraded from
Windows XP and if this is still true then I need the commands.............
laffytaffy

RE: Vista Ultimate Upgrade and Certificate of Authenticity

"laffytaffy" wrote:

> I want to upgrade my hard drive, graphics card and ram but have heard that I
> would have to edit/disable the licensing information in the DOS screen before
> doing so or otherwise the system will not recognize the new hardware and
> prevent access to Vista. If this is true then that would mean I should see
> an install screen once again to re-enter my license code? I upgraded from
> Windows XP and if this is still true then I need the commands.............

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Vista Ultimate Upgrade and Certificate of Authenticity
All you have to do is install Windows XP on your
new hard drive, then upgrade to Windows Vista.
You cannot "edit/disable the licensing information in the DOS screen".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"laffytaffy" wrote:

I want to upgrade my hard drive, graphics card and ram but have heard that I
would have edit/disable the licensing information in the DOS screen before
doing so or otherwise the system will not recognize the new hardware and
prevent access to Vista. If this is true then that would mean I should see
an install screen once again to re-enter my license code? I upgraded from
Windows XP and if this is still true then I need the commands.............
laffytaffy

Re: Vista Ultimate Upgrade and Certificate of Authenticity
I am already running Vista. Would it be OK to upgrade the components without
running into some license issue? I don't want the system to think that I am
trying to install on a second machine.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> All you have to do is install Windows XP on your
> new hard drive, then upgrade to Windows Vista.
> You cannot "edit/disable the licensing information in the DOS screen".
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "laffytaffy" wrote:
>
> I want to upgrade my hard drive, graphics card and ram but have heard that I
> would have edit/disable the licensing information in the DOS screen before
> doing so or otherwise the system will not recognize the new hardware and
> prevent access to Vista. If this is true then that would mean I should see
> an install screen once again to re-enter my license code? I upgraded from
> Windows XP and if this is still true then I need the commands.............

Michael Solomon

"laffytaffy" <laffytaffy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to upgrade my hard drive, graphics card and ram but have heard that
> would have edit/disable the licensing information in the DOS screen before
> doing so or otherwise the system will not recognize the new hardware and
> prevent access to Vista. If this is true then that would mean I should
> see
> an install screen once again to re-enter my license code? I upgraded from
> Windows XP and if this is still true then I need the commands.............

Assuming this is a retail version of Vista, you need only install the
compatible hardware. You may be required to activate once again and it's
possible you won't be able to activate over the internet. If that is the
case, simply re-run activation but at the appropriate screen, choose the
activate by phone option. After going through a few phone options, you will
ultimately get to a human, explain what you have done and they should
activate over the phone.

--
Michael Solomon
Backup is a PC user's best friend