recording what is played in media players

calvino_iND

recording what is played in media players
Hi,

i'm using Windows Vista and i can't achieve something that was done easily
under Windows XP.

Under XP, in the audio "record" settings panel, i was able to tick an input
stream for the record, in a list of input streams. Amongst these input
streams i had a checkbox "what is played".

When this checkbox is ticked, in the SoundRec.exe (magnetophone)
application, i am able to record sounds coming from the computer himself.
This means that if i'm listening to a music played on WMP for example, the
magnetophone will record this music.

Under Vista, the audio "record" settings panel has changed and all what you
can do is choosing the input stream amongst a list of microphones, but i
can't find anywhere the way to record directly what is played on the computer.

Of course, what can be done is put the microphone just near the speaker to
record what comes out of it, but this way the sound recorded lose its quality.

I wonder if there is a way to record what is played from the computer
directly (meaning to be able to do that even when you don't have any
microphone), like it could be done on XP?

Thank you very much

-

calvino_iND

Cal Bear '66

Re: recording what is played in media players
Recording Devices:
(if necessary, right click an empty area of the window and check both "Show
Disconnected Devices" and "Show Disabled Devices).

Set as Default:

Stereo Mix (Realtek)

What-U-Hear (Creative)

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"calvino_iND" <calvino_iND@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> i'm using Windows Vista and i can't achieve something that was done easily
> under Windows XP.
>
> Under XP, in the audio "record" settings panel, i was able to tick an input
> stream for the record, in a list of input streams. Amongst these input
> streams i had a checkbox "what is played".
>
> When this checkbox is ticked, in the SoundRec.exe (magnetophone)
> application, i am able to record sounds coming from the computer himself.
> This means that if i'm listening to a music played on WMP for example, the
> magnetophone will record this music.
>
> Under Vista, the audio "record" settings panel has changed and all what you
> can do is choosing the input stream amongst a list of microphones, but i
> can't find anywhere the way to record directly what is played on the computer.
>
> Of course, what can be done is put the microphone just near the speaker to
> record what comes out of it, but this way the sound recorded lose its quality.
>
> I wonder if there is a way to record what is played from the computer
> directly (meaning to be able to do that even when you don't have any
> microphone), like it could be done on XP?
>
> Thank you very much
>
> -
>
> calvino_iND

calvino_iND

Re: recording what is played in media players
hi, Cal Bear '66, and thank you for your help

i tried what you said ("show disconnected devices" and "show disabled
devices" were both already checked), but there is neither "Stereo Mix", neath
"What U Hear" ; maybe because i don't have a Realtek audio card, nor a
Creative?

My soundcard is integrated in the mainboard, and drivers i'm using for this
soundcard are "SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC"

is it not possible to record what is played with such a soundcard?

Thank you in advance

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> Recording Devices:
> (if necessary, right click an empty area of the window and check both "Show
> Disconnected Devices" and "Show Disabled Devices).
>
> Set as Default:
>
> Stereo Mix (Realtek)
>
> What-U-Hear (Creative)
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "calvino_iND" <calvino_iND@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > i'm using Windows Vista and i can't achieve something that was done easily
> > under Windows XP.
> >
> > Under XP, in the audio "record" settings panel, i was able to tick an input
> > stream for the record, in a list of input streams. Amongst these input
> > streams i had a checkbox "what is played".
> >
> > When this checkbox is ticked, in the SoundRec.exe (magnetophone)
> > application, i am able to record sounds coming from the computer himself.
> > This means that if i'm listening to a music played on WMP for example, the
> > magnetophone will record this music.
> >
> > Under Vista, the audio "record" settings panel has changed and all what you
> > can do is choosing the input stream amongst a list of microphones, but i
> > can't find anywhere the way to record directly what is played on the computer.
> >
> > Of course, what can be done is put the microphone just near the speaker to
> > record what comes out of it, but this way the sound recorded lose its quality.
> >
> > I wonder if there is a way to record what is played from the computer
> > directly (meaning to be able to do that even when you don't have any
> > microphone), like it could be done on XP?
> >
> > Thank you very much
> >
> > -
> >
> > calvino_iND

Cal Bear '66

Re: recording what is played in media players
What items DO you have listed in the Recording Devices window?

--

> hi, Cal Bear '66, and thank you for your help
>
> i tried what you said ("show disconnected devices" and "show disabled
> devices" were both already checked), but there is neither "Stereo Mix", neath
> "What U Hear" ; maybe because i don't have a Realtek audio card, nor a
> Creative?
>
> My soundcard is integrated in the mainboard, and drivers i'm using for this
> soundcard are "SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC"
>
> is it not possible to record what is played with such a soundcard?
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> Recording Devices:
>> (if necessary, right click an empty area of the window and check both "Show
>> Disconnected Devices" and "Show Disabled Devices).
>>
>> Set as Default:
>>
>> Stereo Mix (Realtek)
>>
>> What-U-Hear (Creative)
>>
>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "calvino_iND" <calvino_iND@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > i'm using Windows Vista and i can't achieve something that was done easily
>> > under Windows XP.
>> >
>> > Under XP, in the audio "record" settings panel, i was able to tick an input
>> > stream for the record, in a list of input streams. Amongst these input
>> > streams i had a checkbox "what is played".
>> >
>> > When this checkbox is ticked, in the SoundRec.exe (magnetophone)
>> > application, i am able to record sounds coming from the computer himself.
>> > This means that if i'm listening to a music played on WMP for example, the
>> > magnetophone will record this music.
>> >
>> > Under Vista, the audio "record" settings panel has changed and all what you
>> > can do is choosing the input stream amongst a list of microphones, but i
>> > can't find anywhere the way to record directly what is played on the
>> > computer.
>> >
>> > Of course, what can be done is put the microphone just near the speaker to
>> > record what comes out of it, but this way the sound recorded lose its
>> > quality.
>> >
>> > I wonder if there is a way to record what is played from the computer
>> > directly (meaning to be able to do that even when you don't have any
>> > microphone), like it could be done on XP?
>> >
>> > Thank you very much
>> >
>> > -
>> >
>> > calvino_iND

calvino_iND

Re: recording what is played in media players
I have those one:

Microphone (a real microphone i can used to record my voice)
3 - USB Audio Device
Currently Used (i'm not sure about the translation for this line, the french
for it is "Traitement en cours")

Back Microphone (it does not detect any sound)
SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
Currently Used

Microphone (does not detect any sound either)
SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
Unavailable

Inline (or "Entry line" i'm not sure about the translation - does not detect
anything neither)
SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
Unavailable

When i put "use as default" on "unavailable" devices, they switch into
"currently used" state, but do never detect anything ; the only device to
detect something is the first one : the "real" microphone

Thanks you for help

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> What items DO you have listed in the Recording Devices window?
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "calvino_iND" <calvinoiND@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hi, Cal Bear '66, and thank you for your help
> >
> > i tried what you said ("show disconnected devices" and "show disabled
> > devices" were both already checked), but there is neither "Stereo Mix", neath
> > "What U Hear" ; maybe because i don't have a Realtek audio card, nor a
> > Creative?
> >
> > My soundcard is integrated in the mainboard, and drivers i'm using for this
> > soundcard are "SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC"
> >
> > is it not possible to record what is played with such a soundcard?
> >
> > Thank you in advance
> >
> > "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
> >
> >> Recording Devices:
> >> (if necessary, right click an empty area of the window and check both "Show
> >> Disconnected Devices" and "Show Disabled Devices).
> >>
> >> Set as Default:
> >>
> >> Stereo Mix (Realtek)
> >>
> >> What-U-Hear (Creative)
> >>
> >> --
> >> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> >> GO BEARS!

Cal Bear '66

Re: recording what is played in media players
Sorry, but it does look like the current Sigma Tel audio device driver does not
support this capability.

Seems like you will have to wait and hope that Sigma Tel will update their
driver to include this function.

"Traitement en cours" = Currently in use
" Inline" = Line In (for connecting to a tape player, CD Player, line level
audio output device, etc..

Sorry, not the best of news.

--

>I have those one:
>
> Microphone (a real microphone i can used to record my voice)
> 3 - USB Audio Device
> Currently Used (i'm not sure about the translation for this line, the french
> for it is "Traitement en cours")
>
> Back Microphone (it does not detect any sound)
> SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
> Currently Used
>
> Microphone (does not detect any sound either)
> SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
> Unavailable
>
> Inline (or "Entry line" i'm not sure about the translation - does not detect
> anything neither)
> SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
> Unavailable
>
> When i put "use as default" on "unavailable" devices, they switch into
> "currently used" state, but do never detect anything ; the only device to
> detect something is the first one : the "real" microphone
>
> Thanks you for help
>

> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> What items DO you have listed in the Recording Devices window?
>>
>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "calvino_iND" <calvinoiND@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > hi, Cal Bear '66, and thank you for your help
>> >
>> > i tried what you said ("show disconnected devices" and "show disabled
>> > devices" were both already checked), but there is neither "Stereo Mix",
>> > neath
>> > "What U Hear" ; maybe because i don't have a Realtek audio card, nor a
>> > Creative?
>> >
>> > My soundcard is integrated in the mainboard, and drivers i'm using for this
>> > soundcard are "SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC"
>> >
>> > is it not possible to record what is played with such a soundcard?
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance

calvino_iND

Re: recording what is played in media players
well, maybe i will buy some SB creative card soon, thank you a lot for your
help and your time, bye