Hard disk no longer available in XP after installing Vista

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBGZWxk?=

Hard disk no longer available in XP after installing Vista
Hello all,

I just installed Vista on my machine on a new partition, so that I now have
a dual boot configuration for XP/Vista. This basically works.

Now I have 3 physical hard disks, each with more partitions. The first one,
which is a "basic" disk on which the XP and Vista partitions are, works well
on bot OSes. However, the other two, which are "dynamic" disks, don't seem to
work in XP any longer since I installed Vista.

When I open "Computer Management" > "Disk Management" on XP, it shows both
disks in the list, but as being "offline" (and no partition data). There is a
context menu command called "Reactivate Disk" that is supposed to be used in
such cases, but it doesn't work (just displays a message that the action has
failed). Under Vista, the disks work without problems.

I think I can rule out a device-specific problem as it is the same with two
seperate disks. It might be a problem specific to dynamic disks. Is it
possible that Vista has modified the data structure of the disk so that it is
not accessible from XP anymore? Or maybe any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Michael
MooJuice

Re: Hard disk no longer available in XP after installing Vista

"Michael Feld" <MichaelFeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I just installed Vista on my machine on a new partition, so that I now
> have
> a dual boot configuration for XP/Vista. This basically works.
>
> Now I have 3 physical hard disks, each with more partitions. The first
> one,
> which is a "basic" disk on which the XP and Vista partitions are, works
> well
> on bot OSes. However, the other two, which are "dynamic" disks, don't seem
> work in XP any longer since I installed Vista.
>
> When I open "Computer Management" > "Disk Management" on XP, it shows both
> disks in the list, but as being "offline" (and no partition data). There
> is a
> context menu command called "Reactivate Disk" that is supposed to be used
> in
> such cases, but it doesn't work (just displays a message that the action
> has
> failed). Under Vista, the disks work without problems.
>
> I think I can rule out a device-specific problem as it is the same with
> two
> seperate disks. It might be a problem specific to dynamic disks. Is it
> possible that Vista has modified the data structure of the disk so that it
> is
> not accessible from XP anymore? Or maybe any other ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Michael

Crikey! Just out of interest, and it's a long shot, I don't suppose that
the two non-working discs are formatted FAT32...?

Charlie Tame

Re: Hard disk no longer available in XP after installing Vista
I have been swapping disks a lot recently and it's quite common for two to
end up with the same drive letter so one does not show up in My Computer.
Just using disk management to give it some arbitrary drive letter restores
access.

(Same with USB drives etc).

It is possible that XP is allocating letters which clash. I don't advise
messing with drives that have an OS on them but it's not always possible to
keep letters the same on dual boot systems (especially with half a dozen
removable drives in use).

I find it helps to give drives a meaningful name too.

Hope it's something as simple as this...

Charlie

"MooJuice" <moo.juice@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> "Michael Feld" <MichaelFeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I just installed Vista on my machine on a new partition, so that I now
>> have
>> a dual boot configuration for XP/Vista. This basically works.
>>
>> Now I have 3 physical hard disks, each with more partitions. The first
>> one,
>> which is a "basic" disk on which the XP and Vista partitions are, works
>> well
>> on bot OSes. However, the other two, which are "dynamic" disks, don't
>> seem to
>> work in XP any longer since I installed Vista.
>>
>> When I open "Computer Management" > "Disk Management" on XP, it shows
>> both
>> disks in the list, but as being "offline" (and no partition data). There
>> is a
>> context menu command called "Reactivate Disk" that is supposed to be used
>> in
>> such cases, but it doesn't work (just displays a message that the action
>> has
>> failed). Under Vista, the disks work without problems.
>>
>> I think I can rule out a device-specific problem as it is the same with
>> two
>> seperate disks. It might be a problem specific to dynamic disks. Is it
>> possible that Vista has modified the data structure of the disk so that
>> it is
>> not accessible from XP anymore? Or maybe any other ideas?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Michael

> Crikey! Just out of interest, and it's a long shot, I don't suppose that
> the two non-working discs are formatted FAT32...?

MICHAEL

Re: Hard disk no longer available in XP after installing Vista
Charlie,

How are you? I hope you are doing well.

I haven't seen you at securecomp in quite awhile.

Take care,

Michael

"Charlie Tame" <charlie@tames.net> wrote in message
>I have been swapping disks a lot recently and it's quite common for two to end up with the
>same drive letter so one does not show up in My Computer. Just using disk management to give
>it some arbitrary drive letter restores access.
>
> (Same with USB drives etc).
>
> It is possible that XP is allocating letters which clash. I don't advise messing with drives
> that have an OS on them but it's not always possible to keep letters the same on dual boot
> systems (especially with half a dozen removable drives in use).
>
> I find it helps to give drives a meaningful name too.
>
> Hope it's something as simple as this...
>
> Charlie
>

> "MooJuice" <moo.juice@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Michael Feld" <MichaelFeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I just installed Vista on my machine on a new partition, so that I now have
>>> a dual boot configuration for XP/Vista. This basically works.
>>>
>>> Now I have 3 physical hard disks, each with more partitions. The first one,
>>> which is a "basic" disk on which the XP and Vista partitions are, works well
>>> on bot OSes. However, the other two, which are "dynamic" disks, don't seem to
>>> work in XP any longer since I installed Vista.
>>>
>>> When I open "Computer Management" > "Disk Management" on XP, it shows both
>>> disks in the list, but as being "offline" (and no partition data). There is a
>>> context menu command called "Reactivate Disk" that is supposed to be used in
>>> such cases, but it doesn't work (just displays a message that the action has
>>> failed). Under Vista, the disks work without problems.
>>>
>>> I think I can rule out a device-specific problem as it is the same with two
>>> seperate disks. It might be a problem specific to dynamic disks. Is it
>>> possible that Vista has modified the data structure of the disk so that it is
>>> not accessible from XP anymore? Or maybe any other ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> Michael

>> Crikey! Just out of interest, and it's a long shot, I don't suppose that the two
>> non-working discs are formatted FAT32...?

Charlie Tame

Re: Hard disk no longer available in XP after installing Vista
Actually this is the first time I've visited any newsgroups since the
surgery, since then (Dec 11th) I've built a number of machines and finally
got around to installing Vista on here. Boy is it fun trying to find drivers
and things that work with "all" your hardware. Example Linksys wireless card
that works on XPP and XPH 32 bit and on Vista 64 bit but no way on XP 64 bit
etc.

Have actually been rather busy.

And I don't know if drive letters is related to the OP's problem but I've
certainly seen it a few times revently

Charlie

"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
> Charlie,
>
> How are you? I hope you are doing well.
>
> I haven't seen you at securecomp in quite awhile.
>

> Take care,
>
> Michael
>
> "Charlie Tame" <charlie@tames.net> wrote in message
>>I have been swapping disks a lot recently and it's quite common for two to
>>end up with the same drive letter so one does not show up in My Computer.
>>Just using disk management to give it some arbitrary drive letter restores
>>access.
>>
>> (Same with USB drives etc).
>>
>> It is possible that XP is allocating letters which clash. I don't advise
>> messing with drives that have an OS on them but it's not always possible
>> to keep letters the same on dual boot systems (especially with half a
>> dozen removable drives in use).
>>
>> I find it helps to give drives a meaningful name too.
>>
>> Hope it's something as simple as this...
>>
>> Charlie
>>

>> "MooJuice" <moo.juice@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Michael Feld" <MichaelFeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> Crikey! Just out of interest, and it's a long shot, I don't suppose
>>> that the two non-working discs are formatted FAT32...?

MICHAEL

Re: Hard disk no longer available in XP after installing Vista
Good to hear you are doing better and have been
keeping busy.

Take care of yourself.

Don't let Vista stress you too much.... cause it can. :-)

> Actually this is the first time I've visited any newsgroups since the surgery, since then
> (Dec 11th) I've built a number of machines and finally got around to installing Vista on
> here. Boy is it fun trying to find drivers and things that work with "all" your hardware.
> Example Linksys wireless card that works on XPP and XPH 32 bit and on Vista 64 bit but no way
> on XP 64 bit etc.
>
> Have actually been rather busy.
>
> And I don't know if drive letters is related to the OP's problem but I've certainly seen it a
> few times revently
>
> Charlie
>

> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
>> Charlie,
>>
>> How are you? I hope you are doing well.
>>
>> I haven't seen you at securecomp in quite awhile.
>>

>> Take care,
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> "Charlie Tame" <charlie@tames.net> wrote in message
>>>I have been swapping disks a lot recently and it's quite common for two to end up with the
>>>same drive letter so one does not show up in My Computer. Just using disk management to give
>>>it some arbitrary drive letter restores access.
>>>
>>> (Same with USB drives etc).
>>>
>>> It is possible that XP is allocating letters which clash. I don't advise messing with
>>> drives that have an OS on them but it's not always possible to keep letters the same on
>>> dual boot systems (especially with half a dozen removable drives in use).
>>>
>>> I find it helps to give drives a meaningful name too.
>>>
>>> Hope it's something as simple as this...
>>>
>>> Charlie

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBGZWxk?=

Re: Hard disk no longer available in XP after installing Vista
Hi MooJuice,

no, all drives are formatted with NTFS.

But I have some more information. After I try to "Reactivate" the disk using
Disk Management (as describes in my original post), I am getting two entries
in the system event log:

Event ID: 1500 Source: LDM
Disk group Pc1Dg0: Errors in some configuration copies:
Disk Harddisk1, copy 1: Block 1: A format error was found in the
configuration copy
Disk Harddisk2, copy 1: Block 1: A format error was found in the
configuration copy

Event ID: 2 Source: LDM
INTERNAL Error - The disk group contains no valid configuration copies.
(C10000B6).

This sounds really scary to me! However, the curious thing is that both
disks work in Vista.

Any new ideas?

Regards,
Michael

"MooJuice" wrote:

> "Michael Feld" <MichaelFeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I just installed Vista on my machine on a new partition, so that I now
> > have
> > a dual boot configuration for XP/Vista. This basically works.
> >
> > Now I have 3 physical hard disks, each with more partitions. The first
> > one,
> > which is a "basic" disk on which the XP and Vista partitions are, works
> > well
> > on bot OSes. However, the other two, which are "dynamic" disks, don't seem
> > work in XP any longer since I installed Vista.
> >
> > When I open "Computer Management" > "Disk Management" on XP, it shows both
> > disks in the list, but as being "offline" (and no partition data). There
> > is a
> > context menu command called "Reactivate Disk" that is supposed to be used
> > in
> > such cases, but it doesn't work (just displays a message that the action
> > has
> > failed). Under Vista, the disks work without problems.
> >
> > I think I can rule out a device-specific problem as it is the same with
> > two
> > seperate disks. It might be a problem specific to dynamic disks. Is it
> > possible that Vista has modified the data structure of the disk so that it
> > is
> > not accessible from XP anymore? Or maybe any other ideas?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Michael

> Crikey! Just out of interest, and it's a long shot, I don't suppose that
> the two non-working discs are formatted FAT32...?

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBGZWxk?=

Re: Hard disk no longer available in XP after installing Vista
Hi Charlie,

"Charlie Tame" wrote:

> I have been swapping disks a lot recently and it's quite common for two to
> end up with the same drive letter so one does not show up in My Computer.
> Just using disk management to give it some arbitrary drive letter restores
> access.

It's not single drives that have disappeared or have problems, it's the
whole disk (or some kind of master data structure of the disk). I.e. in Disk
Management, I don't see any drives/partitions on the disks in question for
which I could change a drive letter at all, just two empty disks with an
"offline" icon.

> It is possible that XP is allocating letters which clash. I don't advise
> messing with drives that have an OS on them but it's not always possible to
> keep letters the same on dual boot systems (especially with half a dozen
> removable drives in use).

Well, Vista auto-assigned its own drive letters to the disks, which I
changed... could this have caused such a serious problem for XP?

> Hope it's something as simple as this...

Thanks, but I'm afraid it's not...

Regards,
Michael

=?Utf-8?B?SG93IGRvIHlvdSBlbXB0eSBEcml2ZSBE?=