Problem opening Data CDs on CD Rom and DVDRW drives

=?Utf-8?B?RWNraWU=?=

Problem opening Data CDs on CD Rom and DVDRW drives
Since installing Windows Vista Home basic, I cannot open Data CDs or install
programmes from CD. I can burn and play music CDs with no problem.

My drives are: JLMS XJ-HD166S & LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-411S.

I have looked for update drivers - none available.

According to Device Manager the devices are working properly. Also I used
the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor before buying Vista and it showed no
problems with the drives.

Help!

Sharon F

Re: Problem opening Data CDs on CD Rom and DVDRW drives
On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 07:15:01 -0800, Eckie wrote:

> Since installing Windows Vista Home basic, I cannot open Data CDs or install
> programmes from CD. I can burn and play music CDs with no problem.
>
> My drives are: JLMS XJ-HD166S & LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-411S.
>
> I have looked for update drivers - none available.
>
> According to Device Manager the devices are working properly. Also I used
> the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor before buying Vista and it showed no
> problems with the drives.
>
> Help!

When burning disks with third party tools there are a lot of choices. One
that gets easily overlooked is "closing" the disk. If the disk is to be
used on the same computer that created it, closing is not necessary. If the
disk is to be used on another computer with the same third party software
installed, closing is usually not necessary.

If you a add a new computer to the scene or change the operating system on
an existing computer and the disks are not closed OR if a version of the
original burning software is not installed - the disks may be unreadable.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=

Re: Problem opening Data CDs on CD Rom and DVDRW drives
I have same issue with LiteOn 18A1P DVDRW. If i put a DATA disc in the tray
it will lock windows up and requires a restart. Taking the disc out does
nothing to free windows up. If i leave a disc in the tray and restart,
windows will not boot up all the way. Audio discs seem to have no problem
being read and also does not freeze the OS at all.

I hope there is some drivers being developed soooooon!!!

Any ideas????

Thanks

Steve ├│┬┐├│